cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: BYU would be in the national title game at 12-0?
True 3 7.89%
False 33 86.84%
I'm still coming down from my fruit cake buzz. Can't answer now. 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU would not have automatically moved up each week simply because higher ranked teams lost. In 2004, Utah kept getting jumped by teams like Wisconsin and Auburn.

In the final poll of this year's regular season, LSU jumped over Georgia, despite having lost one week earlier, because that's who the voters wanted in the game.

Missouri was completely left out of the BCS, despite being ranked #1 on the day before the selections, because the bowls didn't want them.

In your hypo, there would have been no obligation to BYU.

Suppose next year that Utah defeats #5 Michigan and goes 12-0 with large wins over four additional ranked opponents (OSU, Louisville, TCU, BYU), and finishes with a Top 30 SOS. Even then they wouldn't get in.

(I had to use Utah in that example, not BYU, because they have the harder schedule).
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
BYU would not have automatically moved up each week simply because higher ranked teams lost. In 2004, Utah kept getting jumped by teams like Wisconsin and Auburn.

In the final poll of this year's regular season, LSU jumped over Georgia, despite having lost one week earlier, because that's who the voters wanted in the game.

Missouri was completely left out of the BCS, despite being ranked #1 on the day before the selections, because the bowls didn't want them.

In your hypo, there would have been no obligation to BYU.

Suppose next year that Utah defeats #5 Michigan and goes 12-0 with large wins over four additional ranked opponents (OSU, Louisville, TCU, BYU), and finishes with a Top 30 SOS. Even then they wouldn't get in.

(I had to use Utah in that example, not BYU, because they have the harder schedule).
Disagree with that. I think Utah's in in that scenario.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

If undefeated Hawaii wasnt in the NC game, why would BYU be in it?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
If undefeated Hawaii wasnt in the NC game, why would BYU be in it?
Because some have the delusion that BYU is 100 times more respected than Hawaii.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3333743
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Because some have the delusion that BYU is 100 times more respected than Hawaii.
Hmmmm.....go figure.

It would be interesting to see some sort of chart that shows each posters perception of BYU's national reputation as a function of how many miles they live from BYU campus. I think I can already guess the zip codes of those who think BYU is a respected national power.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 01-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hmmmm.....go figure.

It would be interesting to see some sort of chart that shows each posters perception of BYU's national reputation as a function of how many miles they live from BYU campus. I think I can already guess the zip codes of those who think BYU is a respected national power.
The same goes for Texas A&M.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Someone should inform Tulane, Marshall, Auburn, et al. of this new alternate hypothetical poll that places undefeated teams into the national title game.

Last edited by TripletDaddy; 01-02-2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: whoops! tulane, not tulsa.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #19
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Someone should inform Tulane, Marshall, Auburn, et al. of this new alternate hypothetical poll that places undefeated teams into the national title game.
Tulane and Marshall's SOS were so weak they were never in the top 10 in the computers. Auburn was undefeated in a year there were four undefeated teams, with two that had much tougher SOS. This isn't a hypothetical poll. These are computer models that can easily be tested with alternate scenarios. The question is where the human voters would put BYU. I agree they wouldn't put them high enough. But there would be a TON of discussion about it. And it would be very close.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Tulane and Marshall's SOS were so weak they were never in the top 10 in the computers. Auburn was undefeated in a year there were four undefeated teams, with two that had much tougher SOS. This isn't a hypothetical poll. These are computer models that can easily be tested with alternate scenarios. The question is where the human voters would put BYU. I agree they wouldn't put them high enough. But there would be a TON of discussion about it. And it would be very close.
Fair. I guess I see it as a glass half empty given the reality that pollsters will never give BYU the love....because we play in a conference that is perceived as inferior (and, in my opinion, is). So at 12-0, I still say we do NOT play for the NC...sounds like you concur. Obviously at 12-0 we get an at-large BCS bid, though.