cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Great points. He, Chugurh, delivered that line so well,

Carla Jean Moss: You don't have to do this.
Anton Chigurh: [smiles] Everybody says that.

looks so simple on paper but when delivered....
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Great points. He, Chugurh, delivered that line so well,

Carla Jean Moss: You don't have to do this.
Anton Chigurh: [smiles] Everybody says that.

looks so simple on paper but when delivered....
Yeah, I think I will have to catch a Javier Bardem pic or two now. I knew he was highly regarded, having been nominated for best actor, but now I am curious to see what kind of range he has.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:24 AM   #13
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched NC last week. I thought it was near perfect. My take on some its Cormicness…

[spoilers]

I agree with Mike's assessment that Chigurh is death. In fact, it struck me that maybe his haircut was intended to be a play on the grim reaper's hooded head. His character transcend the story. "Are you going to kill me? That depends, can you see me?"

Moss is a throwback and a man of some skills and attributes. But in this 'country' he lives in a trailer. Grabbing the money is his escape - his rebellion. But it's his self-lamented moral act which triggers the events leading to his end. As Mike said, he tries to cheat it, but there's no stopping it. "You know how this is going to turn out, don't you?"

Bell is Bergman's knight playing chess with death. Like the knight he is disillusioned with the crusades and the devastation of the plague on his homeland. He is also Yeats' old man; afraid of being a only a scarecrow and lamenting change. As Yeats says, "Whatever is begotten, born, and dies." But unlike Yeats, Bell doesn't look for meaning in far-off Byzantine. He's peace comes with acceptance in the twilight of his life.

The seminal moment of the movie is Bell going through the door. It's after this act he accepts what coming. He retires.

He dreams of those who have gone before him carrying a flame in the darkness. "You can't help but compare yourself to the old timers." He is like them. And there is real darkness.

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 02-26-2008 at 05:27 AM.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:37 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
I watched NC last week. I thought it was near perfect. My take on some its Cormicness…

[spoilers]

I agree with Mike's assessment that Chigurh is death. In fact, it struck me that maybe his haircut was intended to be a play on the grim reaper's hooded head. His character transcend the story. "Are you going to kill me? That depends, can you see me?"

Moss is a throwback and a man of some skills and attributes. But in this 'country' he lives in a trailer. Grabbing the money is his escape - his rebellion. But it's his self-lamented moral act which triggers the events leading to his end. As Mike said, he tries to cheat it, but there's no stopping it. "You know how this is going to turn out, don't you?"

Bell is Bergman's knight playing chess with death. Like the knight he is disillusioned with the crusades and the devastation of the plague on his homeland. He is also Yeats' old man; afraid of being a only a scarecrow and lamenting change. As Yeats says, "Whatever is begotten, born, and dies." But unlike Yeats, Bell doesn't look for meaning in far-off Byzantine. He's peace comes with acceptance in the twilight of his life.

The seminal moment of the movie is Bell going through the door. It's after this act he accepts what coming. He retires.

He dreams of those who have gone before him carrying a flame in the darkness. "You can't help but compare yourself to the old timers." He is like them. And there is real darkness.
What strikes me about the enormous positive response to this film, is that the film is about as exact a facsimile of a novel as any film could be. Here the novel is indeed better than the movie, as the old saying goes, but not by much, because the movie so closely tracks the book. I've always said that McCarthy's writing is so cinematic he almost makes the movie redundant, and that's the case here. As you read the novel the projector in your mind depicts those barren landscapes, the carnage, the characters, the downtrodden west Texas towns, almost exactly as the Coens have. Moreover, all those creepily profound lines that people keep quoting from the movie, all that "great writing," is McCarthy's writing verbatim, taken from the novel. I actually found Chigur in the movie a little disappointing, though.

But people are going ape over this film like it's some phenomenon. It's old hat if you're a McCarthy fan. People nowadays are damn near incapable of reading. The funny thing is that when the novel came out the critics were uniformly very patronizing, calling it McCarthy's first "stripped down thriller" and not at all in the class of his other stuff. I thought the critics under rated No Country, but it's nothing like Blood Meridian and The Road. I heard Ridley Scott is making Blood Meridian into a movie. I can't imagine that; I'm not sure it's possible.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-26-2008 at 05:41 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My review was better and more profound than both the movie and the book.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
When the physician resets your broken arm, let us know.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edge to 8ball's review.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Now I am very confused. Is this you being perfect, as you are burdened to be, or is this you being an arrogant jerk so we can tell you aren't perfect?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #19
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't this movie rated R?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Isn't this movie rated R?
All good movies R.