cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
06 signees:

CB -Brandon Bradley: Injured, redshirted, did not play

DL -Matangi Tonga: Contributed significant minutes on the D-line as a true freshman. Now at UVSC, then likely a mission and who knows if comes back to BYU after or not.

DL - Jordan Richardson: Redshirted, headed on a mission.

LB - Brandon Ogletree: Went directly on mission.

DL/JC - Mosese Foketi: Injured, redshirted, did not play.

CB/JC - Andre Saulsberry: Ended up getting Special Teams duty on occasion. Battling for a spot in Spring football right now.

DL - Romney Fuga: Contributed significant minutes on the D-line as a true freshman. Participating in Spring Ball and leaving on a mission after.

OL - Braden Hansen: Redshirted, sat out due to injury. Now on a mission.

DL - Ian Dulan: Contributed significant minutes til knocked out with leg injury. Will play 07' and then leave on mission.

CB/JC - Tico Pringle: Played sparingly back up corner duty, saw signifcant reps in the Utah game. Left school after the season.

DL/TE - Mike Muehlman: Left directly on a mission

OL - Walter Kahaiali'l - Redshirted

OL - Rick Wolfley - Redshirted

OL - Tom Sorenson - Hurt knee after returning from mission. Redshirted.

QB - Max Hall - Ruled ineligible, had to sit out 06 season. Ran the scout team.

OL - Ryan Freeman - Contributed significant minutes on the Offensive Line as a true freshman.

K - Riley Stephenson - Left directly on mission

S - Michael Moore - Sat out the season due to severe neck injury. End of season, decided to quit the team, get married and focus on studies. Still at BYU for school.

CB - Robbie Buckner - Redshirted, left on mission after season.

QB - James Lark - Redshirted, is leaving on mission later in the summer.

WR - Rhen Brown - Left directly on mission

LB - Nate Moncur - Never enrolled in school due to many physical problems, will likely never play D-I football. Also has other issues outside of schoolwork and physical problems.

QB - Sam Doman - Redshirted after coming off of mission

WR - McKay Jacobsen - Contributed significantly as a true freshman. Gone on mission now.

RB - Mike Hague - Played Special Teams consistently and back up carries in blowouts. Gone on mission.

It's pretty ridiculous to label the 06' class as bad or mediocre depending on what was put above.
School Recruit Position Scout Stars Rivals Stars
BYU James Lark QB 4 3
BYU Matangi Tonga DL 4 3
BYU Ryan Freeman OL 3 3
BYU McKay Jacobson WR/TE 3
BYU Tico Pringle DB 3
BYU Romney Fuga DL 2 3
ASU Martin Tevaseu DL 3 3
Utah Joe Faifili DL 3 4
Utah Pauli Latu DL 3 3
Utah Neli A'asa DL 3 3
Utah Aaron Tonga DL 3
Utah Zane Taylor DL 3
USC Stanley Havili RB 4 4
UCLA Sonny Tevaga OL 3
Stanford Sione Fua DL 4 3
SDSU Brian Stanbra DL 3 3
Oregon State Mau Nomani OL 3 3
Oregon State Joe Halahuni WR/TE 3
Oregon Fenuki Tupou OL 4 4
Idaho State Vilami Akoteu DL 3

It's not ridiculous in the least to say the job we did in recruiting that year was mediocre when we landed 1/3 of the top LDS. Also, instead of filling in with good non-LDS like we have in other years (Saulsberry was the only one), we filled in with mediocre or unrated LDS like Ogletree, Hansen, Wolfley, Brown, Doman.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #12
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't think my opinion of his recruiting classes is that unorthodox. It's obvious in the rankings that 2005 was weak. It's reasonable to say by looking at the amount of great LDS talent in 2006, that we didn't get our usual share. I think a number of factors contributed to the recruiting success in 2007, but I believe at least part of that was Bronco's subtle shift in his church/spirit aggressiveness. Remember when part of the 2005 or 2006 big recruiting weekend was Bronco blessing the sacrament? You didn't hear a repeat of that this year, thankfully.

My post was pro-Bronco. It shouldn't get the homers upset unless their objective is to stamp out any and all opinions that are not consistent with "everything about BYU is super dee duper awesome!!".
I don't buy that 2006 was subpar. I can accept that it was not as good as 2001 or 2007 but it has provided some solid players already and I think many more will come. However, I am not convinced Bronco can keep up the 2007 level -- especially with non-LDS kids. But if he does then I think he could establish another dynasty.

2005 lacked depth very much so.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96

Unhappy

Quote:
BYU James Lark QB 4 3
BYU Matangi Tonga DL 4 3
BYU Ryan Freeman OL 3 3
BYU Tico Pringle DB 3
BYU Romney Fuga DL 2 3
Utah Joe Faifili DL 3 4
Utah Pauli Latu DL 3 3
Utah Neli A'asa DL 3 3
Utah Aaron Tonga DL 3
Utah Zane Taylor DL 3
UCLA Sonny Tevaga OL 3

It's not ridiculous in the least to say the job we did in recruiting that year was mediocre when we landed 1/3 of the top LDS. Also, instead of filling in with good non-LDS like we have in other years (Saulsberry was the only one), we filled in with mediocre or unrated LDS like Ogletree, Hansen, Wolfley, Brown, Doman.
Teveasu, Faifili and Akoteau were not qualified for BYU. A'sa and Zane Taylor are not LDS. I think BYU missed on Latu, especially with the loss of Sione Fua whom they also missed on. BYU did not miss on Aaron Tonga, he was overrated and will probably never play at Utah. I don't think BYU offered Stanbra. I don't know much about the guys at Oregon and OSU. Everyone knows how much I lament losing Havili. Top notch LDS skill players hurt more to lose than 5 4* Poly OL or DL. BYU landed a great deal of LDS lineman on both sides of the ball so others going to Utah or Oregon don't hurt that much, IMO. I would have liked to have seen BYU get one more DL out of that 2006 class, but the loss of Havili was and is huge.

In the end I thought BYU missed on either Latu/Fua and Havili. But they did land Jacobsen and Lark. BYU needs to land in excess of 75% of the top notch LDS skill players IMO.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Now let's look at the 05' Signees:

RB - Manase Tonga --- Speaks for itself.

DL - Kyle Leukenga -- Logged lots of PT as a Frosh, less as a Soph.

WR - Spencer Hafoka -- Returns from a mission later this year.

WR - Luke Ashworth -- Played some as a true frosh, left on a mission after.

RB - Harvey Unga -- Didn't actually end up enrolling til the year after. Scored a 1 last year til injury. Everyone pretty much drooling at his potential if he stays healthy.

CB - Brandon Howard -- Redshirted in 05', played some Special Teams in 06', battling for a starter role opposite as a Sophomore opposite Ben Criddle for 07' season. Fastest CB now on the team.

DL - Jan Jorgensen -- Redshirted in 05', started in 06' as a redshirt freshman, led the d-line in sacks.

CB/JC - Justin Robinson -- Struggled in 05', had a very good 06'. Graduated.

DL - Peter Vailahi - Never came

LB - Terrance Hooks - Redshirted in 05', played some backup in 06' as a Freshman, looks to backup Poppinga in 07 as a sophomore.

OL/JC - Sete Aulai - Redshirted in 05', starting Center in 06', 2nd Team MWC Honors. Will be starting center again for 07'.

OL - Matt Reynolds - Left directly on mission.

CB - Cade Hulbert - Left after a short stay. Sat out 06' season and now with Boise State.

LB/JC - Chris Bolden - Redshirted in 05', Played backup in 06', will fill same role in 07'.

LB - Shawn Doman - Redshirted in 05', Played back up in 06', will likely do same in 07', considered the fastest LB on the team. Will be used significantly in 07.

TE - Vic So'oto - Going into 07' poised to be the starter as Sophomore.

DT - Russell Tialavea - Redshirted 05' injured. 06' ended up logging significant minutes as a Redshirt Freshman and has tons of NFL potential.

CB - Stephen Covey - On a mission right now.

Again based on this...it's not a logical standpoint to label this class bad to mediocre.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I think cougjunkie was just trolling, maybe channeling Fusnik or something.

Bronco has done a great job. In two short years, he has put the program on a solid foundation, one that doesn't rely on smoke and mirrors playcalling and Doak Walker running backs.

Yes, losing Beck, Brown, and Harline hurts, but unlike March of '02, I'm optimistic about the upcoming season.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #16
RockyBalboa

Quote:
BYU James Lark QB 4 3
BYU Matangi Tonga DL 4 3
BYU Ryan Freeman OL 3 3
BYU Tico Pringle DB 3
BYU Romney Fuga DL 2 3
Utah Joe Faifili DL 3 4
Utah Pauli Latu DL 3 3
Utah Neli A'asa DL 3 3
Utah Aaron Tonga DL 3
Utah Zane Taylor DL 3
UCLA Sonny Tevaga OL 3

Star rankings mean exactly squat most of the time. For as much bitching and moaning that fans do about BYU not getting all the Top LDS recruits, they seem to hit a conundrum when trying to accommplish this while bringing in enough Non-LDS guys as well.

So far Bronco has done pretty well with that. It is not rational or logical to expect Bronco to get EVERY SINGLE highly rated LDS recruit.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #17
jay santos

[QUOTE=Goatnapper'96;68866]

You are stretching to find fault and thus appear objective.

QUOTE]

The majority of the data points evaluating Bronco as a head coach his first 12 months were negative for me.

The majority (all?) of the data points I have evaluating Bronco as a head coach the last 12 months are positive.

My post doesn't reflect my stretch to be objective but the change I've had in him. Maybe it's me coming around to see that he was awesome the whole time. But I think there's some serious evidence to show he has improved significantly.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96

Quote:

I think you will discover that Hansen and Wolfley will be every bit as good as many of the lost OL/DL. I also think that Ogletree will be a decent player, the reason he was not highly recruited is because he is too short. The kid was a hell of a player in Texas.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Star rankings mean exactly squat most of the time. For as much bitching and moaning that fans do about BYU not getting all the Top LDS recruits, they seem to hit a conundrum when trying to accommplish while bringing in enough Non-LDS guys as well.

So far Bronco has done pretty well with that. It is not rational or logical to expect Bronco to get EVERY SINGLE highly rated LDS recruit.
So all those LDS guys grabbed by Utah and the Pac 10 that year sucked? We were very fortunate to pick up Dulan, but I don't think anyone including our coaching staff would have passed on most of the DL in that list for him.

Bronco was not giving off the vibe yet to recruits that he was as serious about football as he was the Honor Code. Props to him for changing his tone.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #20
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think you will discover that Hansen and Wolfley will be every bit as good as many of the lost OL/DL. I also think that Ogletree will be a decent player, the reason he was not highly recruited is because he is too short. The kid was a hell of a player in Texas.
FWIW - To a coach, every single one thinks that Braden Hansen is the next John Tait.