cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 06:15 AM   #11
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Oh, I have no issue with it. As you correctly pointed out, a BYU board is going to be dominated by Jazz fans. And I think Gracy is a great dude, even beyond CB. I wouldn't expect otherwise.

I am just saying that giving a team props if they beat your team does not make someone an objective "NBA" poster. It makes you a classy fan. 90% or more of the NBA posts from you guys are about the Jazz, not the NBA. If you guys were objective, you would all be talking much less about the Jazz, who are off to a not terribly interesting 3-2 start, and more about the Celtics, the Pistons, or esp the Clippers, who for some insane reason, are 4-0 right now. The reason this does not happen is simple...CB is for Jazz talk, not NBA talk. nothing wrong with that at all, either.

So as I stated, you, Gracy, Donut, are all hard core Jazz loyalists who know their stuff. Good on you.
And my point is, if there is NBA discussion about another team, I think Donut, Gracy and BGR and myself are all willing to jump in... but if we're gonna talk, I think we'd all prefer to talk Jazz. Yes, the Jazz are team #1 for all of us, but we have no problem talking about why Golden State is 0-5 (Hey Norcal, how 'bout them Warriors, huh?)... I think they miss Richardson and not having Stephen Jackson has hurt so far. The Clips being 4-0 is crazy right now, although their wins are against Golden State, Indiana, Chicago and Seattle. The only real shocker is Chicago, who has equally been a disappointment this year in the Eastern Conference.

Although, I think that with your last post you clarifies... I think we're all able to be objective. I'm all for more NBA discussion though. One nice thing about the NBA is you play every team at least twice... so discussion on every team is relevant somewhat. Plus with only 12-15 guys on a teams roster, it makes it easier to know who is playing for who.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 AM   #12
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
By the way, great win over the Cavs last night. Deron was clutch and Millsap was extremely impressive. As was Brewer.
It was a good win last night against Cleveland. Not great, good. We should have put them away earlier, we had the lead all night and couldn't close it out. Clutch play by Deron and I liked how Sloan kept him in all the second half. It was also nice to see Millsap and Brew play the majority of the minutes in the 2nd half.

Exciting, yes, especially since Deron and Memo struggled with their shots, and Williams had 7 or 8 TOs.

I'll take the win though.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
And my point is, if there is NBA discussion about another team, I think Donut, Gracy and BGR and myself are all willing to jump in... but if we're gonna talk, I think we'd all prefer to talk Jazz. Yes, the Jazz are team #1 for all of us, but we have no problem talking about why Golden State is 0-5 (Hey Norcal, how 'bout them Warriors, huh?)... I think they miss Richardson and not having Stephen Jackson has hurt so far. The Clips being 4-0 is crazy right now, although their wins are against Golden State, Indiana, Chicago and Seattle. The only real shocker is Chicago, who has equally been a disappointment this year in the Eastern Conference.

Although, I think that with your last post you clarifies... I think we're all able to be objective. I'm all for more NBA discussion though. One nice thing about the NBA is you play every team at least twice... so discussion on every team is relevant somewhat. Plus with only 12-15 guys on a teams roster, it makes it easier to know who is playing for who.
Cool. I am all for NBA talk...as long as it isn't suited to how it centers around the Jazz. That kind of homerism is pretty pointless for me, which is mostly why I completely abstain from NBA talk on CB. However, I do not begrudge my Jazz fan friends to indulge themselves. If it were more well-rounded, I would love to jump in because the NBA is my favorite pro sport, by far.

Not sure if you followed my earlier Lingo threads, but my take on trash talk and homerism is kind of different than most here.

Anyhow...

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:25 AM   #14
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Not sure if you followed my earlier Lingo threads, but my take on trash talk and homerism is kind of different than most here.
Must have missed them.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #15
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Must have missed them.
You didn't miss much, if anything.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-09-2007, 06:29 AM   #16
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

In a nutshell, Triplet believes any season that doesn't end in a championship is worthless.

Once he mentioned he was a Laker fan, it all made sense.

This means the Jazz suck, because they've never won it all.

I'm at peace his beliefs.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #17
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
In a nutshell, Triplet believes any season that doesn't end in a championship is worthless.

Once he mentioned he was a Laker fan, it all made sense.

This means the Jazz suck, because they've never won it all.

I'm at peace his beliefs.
Sort of.

First, yes, if you don't win a ring, the season was pointless.

Second, the Jazz have never won a ring, so my point was, why would their fans, namely you, trash talk other teams, esp one that HAS won a ring? At the time, the season hadn't even started. I never used the phrasing that they suck.

As a matter of fact, I completely acknowledged that they have a solid team. I expect them to win 50+ games this season and be somewhere around the 5th seed in the west, maybe even 4th is more likely. I also expect them to lose in the second round. The Lakers, as I stated before...lucky to get in at all, and if they do, out in the first round. At the end of it all, who cares about either team's season? The year the lakers went to the Finals with Malone and lost to Detroit? Failure. Complete failure. The rings the thing for me.

You know Lingo, for someone who points out that others have poor reading comprehension, you seem to self-servingly twist things at times, too, no?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #18
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

You know Lingo, for someone who points out that others have poor reading comprehension, you seem to self-servingly twist things at times, too, no?
Sorry, it is hard to understand your complete meaning through all the sarcasm you use when talking about the Jazz.

I'm not that fluent.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #19
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Clips being 4-0 is crazy right now, although their wins are against Golden State, Indiana, Chicago and Seattle.
just thought I'd comment on that. I'm on the "Clippers have a chance to be very good" bandwagon.

Sure, they haven't beaten anybody, but the fact is they have some very good players on that team. Cassell is the key - if he can stay healthy, the Clippers (and I said this on CB) have a chance to be a 5-6 seed in the West. I love the potential and motor of the rookie, Thornton.

Also, despite the weak schedule, they've been doing this without Brand. And good teams beat teams they are supposed to beat. That's what the Clips have done.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote