cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother (who is LDS) has a professional career. My wife, also LDS, has a professional career. My first job after law school was clerking for an LDS appellate judge with 4 children. I see your point, but have been surrounded by exceptions, apparently.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I see your point, but have been surrounded by exceptions, apparently.
No kidding.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

We do note however that there are more women in the Utah state legislature than some other states, esp. in the deep south.

We have to remember that at the time of polygamy women in Utah were allowed to do many jobs that women in the rest of the country were not. Because of necessity. Because the husbands were often not present, splitting time between their wives in different towns. I'm not sure that is feminism, but it is something. It could be argued that the end of polygamy actually was a knife in the heart of feminism in the LDS church.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

why do you keep posting everything twice today?

once is usually hard enough for the general populace.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #15
SeattleUte

Here's the box McCain/Palin have put the LDS Church into. They used the importance of General Conference and the power of the pulpit there, sandwiching Sister Beck in between the Fathers of the Church, to raise her stark message to the level of--what?--something a lot bigger than don't drink tea, though probably not quite at the level of Thou Shall Not Commit Adultery. Having a woman do it under those circumstances was especially terrible (in the poetic sense).

Now we have a woman who's a mother of five, including a disabled four month infant, who chose to have that infant rather than terminate it, believes creationism should be "discussed" in the schools, etc., running for vice-president. Is Sarah "Barracuda" Palin a bad person, or is Sister Beck's pitch not as open and shut as Sister Beck and the Brethren wanted to make everybody think?

The upshot is another chink in the LDS Church's battered credibility. Something similar to this scenario gets replayed over and over again. Someday a wonderful person will win the presidency who is a Republican and was raised in a great, conservative home . . . with gay parents.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-29-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Did I miss something? Is Palin LDS?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Did I miss something? Is Palin LDS?
This only hastens the marginalization if there is not assimilation. The point is, is what they're teaching relevant and, quite frankly, better than competing messages?

—Paul Auster
Old 08-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Here's the box McCain/Palin have put the LDS Church into. They used the importance of General Conference and the power of the pulpit there, sandwiching Sister Beck in between the Fathers of the Church, to raise her stark message to the level of--what?--something a lot bigger than don't drink tea, though probably not quite at the level of Thou Shall Not Commit Adultery. Having a woman do it under those circumstances was especially terrible (in the poetic sense).

Now we have a woman who's a mother of five, including a disabled four month infant, who chose to have that infant rather than terminate it, believes creationism should be "discussed" in the schools, etc., running for vice-president. Is Sarah "Barracuda" Palin a bad person, or is Sister Beck's pitch not as open and shut as Sister Beck and the Brethren wanted to make everybody think?

The upshot is another chink in the LDS Church's battered credibility. Something similar to this scenario gets replayed over and over again. Someday a wonderful person will win the presidency who is a Republican and was raised in a great, conservative home . . . with gay parents.

What kind of fantasy world do you live in? This is such a gross mischaracterization of Sister Beck's talk and the attitude in general of the LDS church and its membership as to completely paint yourself into a corner of intellectual stultification and spiritual embitterment.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Palin is a tough spot just because no doubt many Mormons were hoping the pick would be Romney.

No matter that in Mormon culture a woman who wasn't home with her 5 kids, one of them with Downs Syndrome, would be looked at askance.

But does conservative ideology and intelligence outweight all of that? As far as the voting booth goes, most Mormons would still punch GOP.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #20
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What kind of fantasy world do you live in? This is such a gross mischaracterization of Sister Beck's talk and the attitude in general of the LDS church and its membership as to completely paint yourself into a corner of intellectual stultification and spiritual embitterment.
He is an asshole.