cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The coaches asked him to stay to give more depth at QB due to the departures of Doman and Cooper.
That's strange. They asked a future possible starting QB to screw with his mission plans so he could hang around and be a third stringer? He leaves a year ago and he's home in time to back up Hall a year before battling for the starting job. Now he's coming home too late.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:37 PM   #13
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougswin View Post
out there? How many times have we heard that the coaches don't want to be caught short again, yet if we aren't forgetting someone, it looks like we will be caught short again in a few years, unless we recruit a non mission qb.
We had a few in the pipeline in Bower, Doman and Cooper. But since Max Hall won the starting spot (and probably proved why this past year) they all decided to leave. So now we have Covey, Munns and Lark still in the pipeline. I'd also bet that we add another QB or two the next two seasons worth of recruiting.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:47 AM   #14
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
the answer. I'd rather have Jensen. He's a proven winner.
Who the hell is Jensen? Are you talking about Riley Nelson? Exactly how many games has he won? And if he's such a proven winner why don't you know his name?
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:50 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Who the hell is Jensen? Are you talking about Riley Nelsen? Exactly how many games has he won? And if he's such a proven winner why don't you know his name?
Gerdy probably means Nelsen. I think he led his high school team to the 3A final, but I may be wrong.

What's amusing is that Gerdy thinks the kid will want to go to BYU just because he'll be a returned missionary. Or maybe he thinks it would be justice to have Nelsen transfer to BYU becaue Riley Jensen transferred to USU. Payback, ya know?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:03 AM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
the answer. I'd rather have Jensen. He's a proven winner.
Fool. Covey led his team to the 4A title with a 42-0 win over Lone Peak. And it wasn't that close.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:17 AM   #17
CJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Gerdy probably means Nelsen. I think he led his high school team to the 3A final, but I may be wrong.

What's amusing is that Gerdy thinks the kid will want to go to BYU just because he'll be a returned missionary. Or maybe he thinks it would be justice to have Nelsen transfer to BYU becaue Riley Jensen transferred to USU. Payback, ya know?
I don't get where all the Riley Nelson will transfer to BYU stuff is coming from. I think some people have some sort of strange erotic Detmer reborn fantasies about him. BYU and Utah didn't offer him out of high school and he has a family connection to USU. Seems pretty likely he'll finish his career at USU to me. But hey, he's a winner. And so was Shoemaker.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
I don't get where all the Riley Nelson will transfer to BYU stuff is coming from. I think some people have some sort of strange erotic Detmer reborn fantasies about him. BYU and Utah didn't offer him out of high school and he has a family connection to USU. Seems pretty likely he'll finish his career at USU to me. But hey, he's a winner. And so was Shoemaker.

It probably stems from the Lark vs. Nelson game where Larks anemic Oline had no answer for Nelsons Dline and looked rather ordinary while Riley looked like a superstar behind an Oline that dominated the game. One game head to head and Riley came out looking like a star. However, Riley attended Utah State for a reason. He is small, and his arm is not a bona fides DI arm. Switch the QBs around for that one game, and Riley's name would never be mentioned on these boards other than some guy that Utah State has at QB. The kid is about as tall as Doug Flutie. He cannot make all the throws needed at this level. One thing he does have going for him is his Moxey. The kid is tough and can be a leader.

We will see him over acheive in the WAC or get clobbered beyond repair. One thing we will not be seeing is Riley suiting up for BYU.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #19
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I saw a little here and there of his games at USU. Thought he looked pretty good for a true freshman. I'm sure he got more recruiting attention out of high school than Covey. I was shocked to hear Covey was considered the heir apparent at QB. He was recruited as a safety. Did he have any other offers as a QB?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #20
CJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I saw a little here and there of his games at USU. Thought he looked pretty good for a true freshman. I'm sure he got more recruiting attention out of high school than Covey. I was shocked to hear Covey was considered the heir apparent at QB. He was recruited as a safety. Did he have any other offers as a QB?
I'm not buying the Covey QB thing. He's a safety. Losing three QB's in one season has killed depth. Throw in two missionaries and it's honestly scary. Covey might work out with the QB's, but he's still a safety. That's the only place he should ever see the field.