cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This defeatist talk gets pretty lame. Clemson had the #1 recruiting class in the nation. BYU has plenty to offer.
Thank you Jay. It seems that half our class will go off on missions before matriculation. BYU is unique, yet we still manage to put a competitive product on the field.

Can't wait for fall.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Other than the Church aspect, we have nothing to offer, unless one wants a smaller community. I couldn't enjoy attending in the midst of Smell A, but most people can.
I think the allure for 18 year olds is that Snoop and Will Ferrell come to your practices, Kim Kardashian is your groupie, etc.....

In all honesty, if you are on a winning team, I cant think of a better place to play than LA. Being a rock star here is unparalled.

As the adage goes, if you can make it in NY, you can make it anywhere.

But if you can make it in LA, you will make it everywhere.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I really think Uona is going to serve a mission, maybe Pete will try to talk him out of it, but I doubt it. Uona Kaveinga is in the bottom 3rd of importance in this recruiting class for USC that is why Pete is allowing him to serve a mission, Pete is setting himself up to land Manti Te'o. He knows that if Kaveinga comes and doesnt serve his chances of landing Manti drop dramatically. However if Kaveinga does serve then BYU may not ever get another top LDS recruit with an SC offer again.

Call Pete Carroll whatever you want, but he is no idiot.
PC realizes that there's a great chance of any poly kid he recruits is going to be LDS. Out of the 8 polynesian players on the current SC roster, 4 are LDS, one of them an RM.

As hokey as it sounds, these kids are setting a great example and PC likes having them in the program; it also helps that they're great athletes, but I've noticed the attitude changing at Heritage Hall. You might as well get used to it, the LDS athlete is on the radar at SC, especially polyneisan kids.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What top LDS recruit have we ever gotten head-to-head with USC?
Jake Kuresa...but that was before the USC machine really took off.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This defeatist talk gets pretty lame. Clemson had the #1 recruiting class in the nation. BYU has plenty to offer.
I have not seen any recruiting service that has Clemson as number 1. The two big ones that do the most research dont even have them in the top 10.

Scout.com
1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Miami
4. Georgia
5. Florida State
6. LSU
7. Ohio State
8. Michigan
9. USC
10. UCLA

Rivals.com
1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Florida
4. Miami
5. Oklahoma
6. Georgia
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. Ohio State
10. Michigan

Espn
1. Miami
2. Clemson
3. Alabama
4. Florida
5. Georgia
6. USC
7. Ohio State
8. Oklahoma
9 Notre Dame
10. Texas
Old 02-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have not seen any recruiting service that has Clemson as number 1. The two big ones that do the most research dont even have them in the top 10.

Scout.com
1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Miami
4. Georgia
5. Florida State
6. LSU
7. Ohio State
8. Michigan
9. USC
10. UCLA

Rivals.com
1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Florida
4. Miami
5. Oklahoma
6. Georgia
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. Ohio State
10. Michigan

Espn
1. Miami
2. Clemson
3. Alabama
4. Florida
5. Georgia
6. USC
7. Ohio State
8. Oklahoma
9 Notre Dame
10. Texas
I saw that ESPN list yesterday. #2 not #1. Anyway, the point is the difference between the big boys and the next tier is not so great that we can never compete with them for a recruit. Of course they will get more great recruits.

We're a top 20 team. You can start right away for us. We send guys to the NFL. If you go to USC, you'll be one of a million 4 star recruits. You're special at BYU. We ought to have a compelling case even if you throw out the LDS school stuff.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I saw that ESPN list yesterday. #2 not #1. Anyway, the point is the difference between the big boys and the next tier is not so great that we can never compete with them for a recruit. Of course they will get more great recruits.

We're a top 20 team. You can start right away for us. We send guys to the NFL. If you go to USC, you'll be one of a million 4 star recruits. You're special at BYU. We ought to have a compelling case even if you throw out the LDS school stuff.
We ought to have a case, but you are forgetting that these kids are 17-18 years old and have dominated at every level of competition they have ever participated in. I doubt any of them think that they are going to be a career back up at USC even though some of them will. When USC comes a calling I am sure that they think that they will eventually be a starter and play on the biggest stage and compete for national champuonships on their way to the NFL.

USC has a relatively high number of transfers once a kid realizes that 4*s are a dime a dozen at USC. ie Emanual Moody et al. Getting kids initially is easy for USC because the kids believe in themselves. USC does not really don't care about the eventual relatively high attrition because they build so much depth.

What you propose Jay is sending a message to a kid that you are not good enough to be a star at USC but you can be a star at BYU. That message really does not work IMHO. That message does not sink in until two-a-days in august.

Last edited by Flystripper; 02-07-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #18
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I agree so why hasnt it worked? Think about the players we have lost to big time programs that were LDS.

Sione Fua, Mau Nomani, Haloti Ngata, Uona Kaveinga, Deuce Lutui, Stanley Havili, Shannon and Sonny Tevaga, Tony Moeaki, Will Tukuafu, Martin Tevaseau, Max Luioti-Mariner, Hamani Stevens, Victor Felipe, Simi Kuli, the list goes on and on. Now think about the big time recruits we have landed that were recruited seriously by the top notch schools, specifically polynesian kids:

Jake Kuresa
Matangi Tonga
Vic So'oto
Devin Mahina
Ofa Mohetau and Brian Soi both flamed out.
Thats about it.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #19
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree so why hasnt it worked? Think about the players we have lost to big time programs that were LDS.

Sione Fua, Mau Nomani, Haloti Ngata, Uona Kaveinga, Deuce Lutui, Stanley Havili, Shannon and Sonny Tevaga, Tony Moeaki, Will Tukuafu, Martin Tevaseau, Max Luioti-Mariner, Hamani Stevens, Victor Felipe, Simi Kuli, the list goes on and on. Now think about the big time recruits we have landed that were recruited seriously by the top notch schools, specifically polynesian kids:

Jake Kuresa
Matangi Tonga
Vic So'oto
Devin Mahina
Ofa Mohetau and Brian Soi both flamed out.
Thats about it.
I think it's a combination of

a. not working hard enough, our coaches are not good recruiters comparatively
b. relying too much on the "uniqueness" and not the football message
c. Crowton years hurting our national standing and name recognition
d. conference affiliation issues getting more serious--BCS, MTN, etc

I don't think it's just because USC is USC and BYU is BYU and we might as well not even try.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
We ought to have a case, but you are forgetting that these kids are 17-18 years old and have dominated at every level of competition they have ever participated in. I doubt any of them think that they are going to be a career back up at USC even though some of them will. When USC comes a calling I am sure that they think that they will eventually be a starter and play on the biggest stage and compete for national champuonships on their way to the NFL.

USC has a relatively high number of transfers once a kid realizes that 4*s are a dime a dozen at USC. ie Emanual Moody et al. Getting kids initially is easy for USC because the kids believe in themselves. USC does not really don't care about the eventual relatively high attrition because they build so much depth.

What you propose Jay is sending a message to a kid that you are not good enough to be a star at USC but you can be a star at BYU. That message really does not work IMHO. That message does not sink in until two-a-days in august.
Actually, besides Moody hightailing it to Florida, we havent really had any high profile emmigration.

We DID nab Mitch Mustain, and he left Arkansas after a stellar year knowing that he would be behind Booty and Sanchez.

I think the best want to compete. More importantly, they want to be seen. I think this point cannot be underestimated. These kids want to be on a stage.

Where would you rather play? SC v ND at Notre Dame Stadium, SC v UCLA at the Rose Bowl, SC v Ohio State at the Coliseum, or BYU v Wyoming in Laramie on the Mtn?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote