cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He sets himself up for the next assault and rape allegation. That it was his fault.
The point is that the mullahs love him so much that they will view it as an anomaly.

In a couple of years imagine the clout he gets when a teary-eyed Russel Tialevea speaks at the fireside before the SDSU game and gets choked up about his mistake and how Bronco loved him like a father and motivated him to do good and reach his eternal potential..yadda yadda yadda. When Russell gets his bearing and looks the crowd in the eye and says "I am going to name my firstborn Bronco because to this coach it is not just about winning."

I and you giggle, there are those not in the fringe who will lap that up.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's been rare so I'm not betting it will happen any time soon. And I believe, that although Bronco isn't naive, he's still watching what sort of kids he recruits.

If it happens after a BCS bowl game or two, national prominence and multiple conference championships, you believe he'd take much of a hit? I don't.
Yep. Look at all the crap that happened under Lavell's watch. At some point you become untouchable.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's been rare so I'm not betting it will happen any time soon. And I believe, that although Bronco isn't naive, he's still watching what sort of kids he recruits.

If it happens after a BCS bowl game or two, national prominence and multiple conference championships, you believe he'd take much of a hit? I don't.
The only hit he would take in that circumstance would be from some "mullahs" who would cry and moan but not on any boards as they would be clobbered and I am sure a loud outcry from the "active LDS Ute fan" community who would be calling for the elimination of the program.

Neither of those groups have much voice if money is involved.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yep. Look at all the crap that happened under Lavell's watch. At some point you become untouchable.
Yes, we should say a few Hail Gordons in the name of St. Lavell, bless his hallowed name. May Bronco achieve football salvation in the name of St. Lavell.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Proof in the pudding is the # of non-LDS players in the program. If Bronco has more than X amount, he's hoodwinking the mullahs, if he has less than certain amount, he's hoodwinking you. you have to decide for yourself what X is.

I have this info from a spreadsheet I'd been tracking over time.

Year, # of LDS players on opening roster
1999, 15
2000, 15
2001, 10
2002, 11
2003, 10
2004, 19
2005, 12
2006, 9
2007, 8
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #16
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Proof in the pudding is the # of non-LDS players in the program. If Bronco has more than X amount, he's hoodwinking the mullahs, if he has less than certain amount, he's hoodwinking you. you have to decide for yourself what X is.

1999, 15
2000, 15
2001, 10
2002, 11
2003, 10
2004, 19
2005, 12
2006, 9
2007, 8

How does not having a high number of mormons indicate he is not hoodwinking the mullahs? I think only having mormons is one aspect of how they could hurt the BYU program.

Besides that I count 9 non-LDS off the top of my head: Pittman, Brooks, Saulsberry, Reed, Aulai, Hooks, Dilugi, Kessman and Santiago. Perhaps you already accounted for Kessman's departure.

I would like to see it get back up to about 15-20 though. Perhaps 10-15 is a more achievable number. Perhaps due to mullahs and perhaps due to changing demagraphics within the LDS recruiting base.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #17
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
How does not having a high number of mormons indicate he is not hoodwinking the mullahs? I think only having mormons is one aspect of how they could hurt the BYU program.

Besides that I count 9 non-LDS off the top of my head: Pittman, Brooks, Saulsberry, Reed, Aulai, Hooks, Dilugi, Kessman and Santiago. Perhaps you already accounted for Kessman's departure.

I would like to see it get back up to about 15-20 though. Perhaps 10-15 is a more achievable number. Perhaps due to mullahs and perhaps due to changing demagraphics within the LDS recruiting base.
I thought Aulai and Santiago were members. Do you know for sure? I also had Howard listed.

Recruiting non-LDS is the only #1 reason I know of that determines whether you are pacifying the mullahs or pacifying the win-at-all-costers. What other metric could there be?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
I thought Aulai and Santiago were members. Do you know for sure? I also had Howard listed.

Recruiting non-LDS is the only #1 reason I know of that determines whether you are pacifying the mullahs or pacifying the win-at-all-costers. What other metric could there be?
I am quite sure neither are LDS. Including Howard, that would be 10 non-LDS on this years club which would be one more than from the year before.

He loses 3 for next year in Aulai, Kessman and Saulsberry. Nicholsen is the only non-LDS kid I think will be here in 2008. Perhaps BYU will pick up another two or so non-LDS cbs, both a freshman and a JC, and maybee Magnum Mauga. Otherwise the non-LDS count could drop to below this years numbers.

I think a biggest metric is to watch is expulsions. I am most interested to see how HC infractions are handled over time. I am not really sure it is something that one can use a metric to evaluate, it might be a more subjective argument. That should be ok as this site is super-saturated with attorneys so the opinions should be varied.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

1999, 15
2000, 15
2001, 10
2002, 11
2003, 10
2004, 19
2005, 12
2006, 9
2007, 8
I realize this is mere semantics, but I just counted 11 Non-LDS on this year's roster or in the prgoram.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #20
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Non-LDS Players on the team:

Chris Bolden

Brandon Howard

Brannon Brooks

JJ DiLuigi

Greg Pittman

Steven Fendry: DE Transfer from Colorado sitting out due to transfer rules.

Terrance Hooks

Michael Reed

CJ Santiago

Andre Saulsbery

That's 10 Non-LDS...so discount my post earlier where I said 11. I wasn't sure but was just told that Cortny Barton and Mosese Foketi are both LDS.