cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
or you could just require everyone to vote and see how that works out. I am a bit saddened that voter turn out is so low in this country. Do 2/3 of people not really care?
I've voted in every general election since I turned 18, but am thinking about abstaining this time. Refusing to vote makes just as much of a statement as voting, I think. Granted, "conscientious abstainers" and "apathetic ignoramuses" register the same, but there comes a time when the candidates on both sides are just too ridiculous to support.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I've voted in every general election since I turned 18, but am thinking about abstaining this time. Refusing to vote makes just as much of a statement as voting, I think. Granted, "conscientious abstainers" and "apathetic ignoramuses" register the same, but there comes a time when the candidates on both sides are just too ridiculous to support.
This isn't directed at you as much as it is at any and all who don't vote:

If one chooses not to vote, one has no right to complain about the elected officials.

My parents taught me that voting is my civic duty so I try to remember that and always vote my conscience. Sometimes, my conscience has told me to choose the less idiotic of two idiots.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

If one chooses not to vote, one has no right to complain about the elected officials.

My parents taught me that voting is my civic duty so I try to remember that and always vote my conscience. Sometimes, my conscience has told me to choose the less idiotic of two idiots.
Yes, that's an old aphorism that everyone is aware of, but that I find rather silly. My right to complain about my retarded leaders is not dependent on my willingness to vote one of them into office. Voting is not a civic duty. Awareness of the candidates might be, but deciding that they're all terrible is a right that each of us is afforded under the law.

Last edited by woot; 01-30-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I disagree. If one votes for the idiot in power then one has no right to complain. If one abstains or votes for the loser one can still complain, it is the right of a citizen.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Mmm, I'll agree with one change: "If one chooses not to participate, one has no right to complain about the elected officials." Not voting in of itself can be considered a vote, if it's done in an informed way.

The problem is, the polls have no way of knowing whether you stayed home intentionally, or whether you're just too blasted apathetic to care. But exit polls will. If large groups of conservatives stay home from a McCain ticket in November, it will be very easy to identify.

Maybe I should write-in "Ronald Reagan."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, that's an old aphorism that everyone is aware of, but that I find rather silly. My right to complain about my retarded leaders is not dependent on my willingness to vote one of them into office. Voting is not a civic duty. Awareness of the candidates might be, but deciding that they're all terrible is a right that each of us is afforded under the law.
Agree. But you have to show up to vote if only to vote all the judges out.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

You always have the right to complain, but you won't have much basis for the complaint if you didn't vote. Right is not credibility.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #18
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Agree. But you have to show up to vote if only to vote all the judges out.
That is a sad reality. That scotus judges feel the need to wait until someone of their own party is in office before retiring is absolutely shameful. It still might not be enough to get me to vote for Clinton. I would probably vote for Obama, but it's looking like Clinton might be the candidate.

John "war with Iran sounds great! McCain vs. Hillary "war with Iran sounds fine." Clinton isn't a big enough distinction for me to bother.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #19
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You always have the right to complain, but you won't have much basis for the complaint if you didn't vote. Right is not credibility.
I really don't see the logic here. It seems to me, like K-Dog said, that abstaining gives one more right to complain, since they weren't complicit in the election of the scumbag in the first place.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I really don't see the logic here. It seems to me, like K-Dog said, that abstaining gives one more right to complain, since they weren't complicit in the election of the scumbag in the first place.

The logic? How about this: "Help me make dinner."

"No, you always make lousy dinner so I am not going to help even though by doing so I might make it better"

Then dinner shows up and it stinks.

Can you complain? SUre! Will anyone care, in arptcilaur those who helped make it? Probabyl not.

A right to do somehting doens't mean it will matter.