cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Default I guess so, but I sometimes feel like a poser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
You a classicist too, then?
I'm more focused on history, rather than philology. I'm a graduate student working on a PhD in Ancient History / Classics at Penn State. I'm not about to claim mastery of New Testament textual criticism, but I can get around in Greek.

It's nice to have a forum to discuss this stuff.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I'm more focused on history, rather than philology. I'm a graduate student working on a PhD in Ancient History / Classics at Penn State. I'm not about to claim mastery of New Testament textual criticism, but I can get around in Greek.

How did you find us?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:

Interesting. I'm an undergrad at BYU majoring in history, minoring in classics, and thinking of going your route-- possibly even to Penn State.

How did you decide to go the route you're going? What do you plan on doing with your degree?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Default I found cougarguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Interesting. I'm an undergrad at BYU majoring in history, minoring in classics, and thinking of going your route-- possibly even to Penn State.

How did you decide to go the route you're going? What do you plan on doing with your degree?
The poster known as Mormon Red Death is a good friend of mine and told me about this site. I've been reading anonymously for about 6 months, but finally decided I would take a stab and throw something up on the board (or should I say, "throw up (vomit) something on the board"?).

I'm really impressed by the civility and intelligence of the posters here. I'm not really a BYU fan, so I mainly read the non-sports stuff.

I ended up here because I like the flexibility of the program. My department(s) allow me to integrate several different fields of study. For instance, my research combines traditional components of history, classics, archaeology, art history, and kineseology. My overall goal is to become a professor at some college or university, in History or in Classics (or a joint-appointment). Jobs are scarce, I know, but I'll worry about that when I'm actually on the market. For the time being, I get to research what I want and I really enjoy teaching.

Free advice? Stick with it until you get tired of it. I can always go get an 8-5 job and I've never worried about making ends meet. I'm not rich, but I'm not in debt.

Sorry if this is too much information.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The poster known as Mormon Red Death is a good friend of mine and told me about this site. I've been reading anonymously for about 6 months, but finally decided I would take a stab and throw something up on the board (or should I say, "throw up (vomit) something on the board"?).

I'm really impressed by the civility and intelligence of the posters here. I'm not really a BYU fan, so I mainly read the non-sports stuff.
We are very happy to have you, Solon.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #16
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I ended up here because I like the flexibility of the program. My department(s) allow me to integrate several different fields of study. For instance, my research combines traditional components of history, classics, archaeology, art history, and kineseology. My overall goal is to become a professor at some college or university, in History or in Classics (or a joint-appointment). Jobs are scarce, I know, but I'll worry about that when I'm actually on the market. For the time being, I get to research what I want and I really enjoy teaching.

Free advice? Stick with it until you get tired of it. I can always go get an 8-5 job and I've never worried about making ends meet. I'm not rich, but I'm not in debt.

Well all be damned... I had no idea it was you...BTW there are more Utah fans than byu fans here...

Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 03-09-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Mormon Red Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #17
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

We have another French speaker in our midst! Bienvenu Solon
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Well all be damned... I had no idea it was you...BTW there are more Utah fans than byu fans here...
You think? Have we sunk that low? Sheesh.

Welcome Solon. Good to have some new blood.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #19
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:

Too much? Hardly-- not enough, as far as I'm concerned. I'll probably be pumping you for information and advice in days to come. Good to have you with us.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
WHat have we become?!? And this is the rankest form of apostasy. . .