cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
Is that 3/4 stars or 3/5? I am considering the switch for a couple of reasons: because I just think it makes sense to use a layout that was purposefully arranged for easier (and potentially) faster typing (as opposed to qwerty, which is much better for left handers and was arranged to prevent mechanical typewriters from sticking).

My second reason is that I have developed some carpal tunnel in my left wrist and I want to see if it gets better with Dvorak. Again, qwerty is biased to use the left hand much more than the right and I hope that Dvorak solves the problem.
I give it 3/5, but that is probably harsh and speaks more to my slow learning curve. I switched to Dvorak to alleviate CT symptoms in both wrists and it has worked. The primary "magic" of Dvorak is simple - much greater use of alternating hands as opposed to QWERTY. Using a wireless mouse has also helped the CT.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I never took lessons on how to type, but I can do about 80 wpm using my own method where I use 9 of my fingers.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #13
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I give it 3/5, but that is probably harsh and speaks more to my slow learning curve. I switched to Dvorak to alleviate CT symptoms in both wrists and it has worked. The primary "magic" of Dvorak is simple - much greater use of alternating hands as opposed to QWERTY. Using a wireless mouse has also helped the CT.
The other magic of Dvorak is that the primary letters are located on the home row:

so not only are you evenly using each hand, but you aren't stretching up and down to the other rows as much.
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I cannot support this new keyboard layout.

It changes the answer to a very important trivia question: name the longest word that can be typed with one hand using the standard two-handed approach.

Answer: stewardesses.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #15
Lost Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I cannot support this new keyboard layout.

It changes the answer to a very important trivia question: name the longest word that can be typed with one hand using the standard two-handed approach.

Answer: stewardesses.
And the fact that it is done with the left hand demonstrates one major problem (for me, being right-handed) with qwerty.

If you are left-handed, I pity you but at least you wouldn't have as much reason to switch.

BTW this thread was the impetus that finally led me to make the switch. In the last 5 minutes I removed the keys on my keyboard (all letters except a & m, all punctuation marks). I am using a usb keyboard that I got for free so if I hate it or screw it up, oh well.

I am now starting to put the keys back on in Dvorak layout...
Old 10-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #16
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I am just old enough (37) that we actually still used typwriters in typing class. I took it in 8th grade and I can say that I've never put a class to use like I have that one. I can type so fast it draws a crowd.
My class used a typewriter as well.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

Quote:
And the fact that it is done with the left hand demonstrates one major problem (for me, being right-handed) with qwerty.

If you are left-handed, I pity you but at least you wouldn't have as much reason to switch.

BTW this thread was the impetus that finally led me to make the switch. In the last 5 minutes I removed the keys on my keyboard (all letters except a & m, all punctuation marks). I am using a usb keyboard that I got for free so if I hate it or screw it up, oh well.

I am now starting to put the keys back on in Dvorak layout...
Big mistake! Just dont type the word "stewardesses" a lot. If you feel the jones to type air-travel related words and you are right-handed, try "pilot" instead. Or "mile high club."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #18
Lost Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Big mistake! Just dont type the word "stewardesses" a lot. If you feel the jones to type air-travel related words and you are right-handed, try "pilot" instead. Or "mile high club."
Too late! It has been done, but I won't be using it until I have free time to get used to the new layout. I am curious why you say don't do it. Did you try Dvorak and have a bad experience?

BTW "pilot and "mile high club" both require using the left hand. There just aren't that many words that can be typed with the right hand (compared to the # that can be typed with the left) on qwerty, air-travel related or not.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
"pilot and "mile high club" both require using the left hand.
Mile Hile Club is going to require both hands, my friend.

*rimshot*

Old 10-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #20
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I just got done pulling all the buttons off my keyboard and rearranging them dvorak style. In my opinion, it just doesn't work.