cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many of Top 50 moneymaking films have you seen?
46-50 8 20.51%
41-45 8 20.51%
36-40 4 10.26%
31-35 12 30.77%
26-30 6 15.38%
21-25 1 2.56%
16-20 0 0%
11-15 0 0%
6-10 0 0%
1-5 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The chariot race scene in that movie is an all-time classic.

The biblical/greek homoerotica genre was a favorite of mine growing up...Ben Hur, 10 Commandments, Spartacus, et al.....lots of shirtless guys, muscular slaves, whips, leather sandals, etc.. Tony Curtis was hot back in the day.
Don't forget the galley slaves. Nothing like whips and chains and glistening muscular biceps and red striped backs.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #12
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well this is a little embarrassing, but I've seen all 50, and many of them more than once.

The Bells of St. Mary's has been done multiple times; I assume this is the Bing Crosby version. As for The Robe, Jean Simmons stirred my manhood as a young lad, and I named a character in a high school play after her co-star, Victor Immature.

I suspect I've seen most, if not all of the next 50 as well. I'll have much to answer for at the judgment bar when reviewing what I did with my poor excuse for a life. I'd also appreciate a tally of how many acre-feet of popcorn I've consumed over the years.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Well this is a little embarrassing, but I've seen all 50, and many of them more than once.

The Bells of St. Mary's has been done multiple times; I assume this is the Bing Crosby version. As for The Robe, Jean Simmons stirred my manhood as a young lad, and I named a character in a high school play after her co-star, Victor Immature.

I suspect I've seen most, if not all of the next 50 as well. I'll have much to answer for at the judgment bar when reviewing what I did with my poor excuse for a life. I'd also appreciate a tally of how many acre-feet of popcorn I've consumed over the years.
Well, you can be excused for going to see most of those films, as they were made before Hollywood started producing garbage almost exclusively.

I'm glad you were clear about which Simmons stirred your manhood. Not that there is anything wrong with Gene doing so, but I would think you were more of a Paul Stanley kind of guy.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I am pretty sure I have seen The Bells of St. Marys, but I am not positive.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #15
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

I am not familiar with Thunderball, Cleopatra, The Robe or the Bells of St. Marys. I have never gotten around to seeing, but want to see, Dr. Zhivago and The Sting. No real interest in Blazing Saddles. Just never really appreciated Mel Brooks that much.

The rest I have seen.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:16 AM   #16
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I am not familiar with Thunderball, Cleopatra, The Robe or the Bells of St. Marys. I have never gotten around to seeing, but want to see, Dr. Zhivago and The Sting. No real interest in Blazing Saddles. Just never really appreciated Mel Brooks that much.

The rest I have seen.
Thunderball is James Bond. I'm kind of surprised it's the biggest seller of those though I loved it as a kid. If you haven't seen Blazing Saddles I can understand why Brooks is not your cup of tea. Blazing Saddles is way far his best. The Producers is next best.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 AM   #17
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post

The rest I have seen.
Thunderball is James Bond.

Cleopatra is an important movie as far as cinematic history goes......one of the top 3 most expensive movies to make of all time....original cut was over 6 hours long.....Liz Taylor and Richard Burton begin the first of a long series of ill-fated romances...the movie which allegedly launched the "closed set," wherein only authorized movie personnel were allowed (reason being was that Liz had to go topless for a couple of scenes...even though you saw nothing on camera, you could kind of see through the water, and the set was closed to most of the crew). Also, she introduced a wave of starlets flashing their mammary glands as a legitimate career move.

If you have never seen The Sting, please stop being deprived and watch it immediately. It is Redford and Newman at their finest, with a great performance by Robert Shaw as Doyle Lonagan. It also re-introduced Joplin and ragtime to the masses.

Blazing Saddles......classic Mel Brooks spoof of Westerns and all the inevitable cliches that go along with the John Wayne movies, including the line, "we'll head them off at the pass!"....to which Harvey Korman even says, "I hate that cliche!" There is even a scene or two wherein Madeline Kahn looks attractive, so you know the movie is special.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:34 AM   #18
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Blazing Saddles......classic Mel Brooks spoof of Westerns and all the inevitable cliches that go along with the John Wayne movies, including the line, "we'll head them off at the pass!"....to which Harvey Korman even says, "I hate that cliche!" There is even a scene or two wherein Madeline Kahn looks attractive, so you know the movie is special.
After "So I have that going for me. Which is Nice," my most memerable movie quotes are, "I am tho damn tired of being admired," "All thethe men coming and going and coming, and alwayth to thoon," and "Can't anybody help that poor man?!" (in falsetto).

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-12-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
After "So I have that going for me. Which is Nice," my most memerable movie quotes are, "I am tho damn tired of being admired," "All thethe men coming and going and coming, and always to thoon," and "Can't anybody help that poor man?!" (in falsetto).
"No thank you....15 is my limit on schnitzengruben."

and my favorite of the entire movie...a Harvey Korman (Hedley Lamarr) quote:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #20
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I have seen too many of those films.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote