cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's more irrational?
To become offended when non-believers name a stuffed animal after your primary religious figure? 9 75.00%
To claim God helped you win a football game? 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
...and in typical ute fashion you took my comment that I don't know and twisted it into something entirely different.

If Collie believes God helped him haul that pass in, I'm not going to tell him he didn't, because I don't have the arrogance to claim that I know.
well, at least you aren't arrogant in one area.

Well then, I guess football falls in line with part of God's work and glory then. Bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of man, oh and football victories. I guess my arrogance is reading to much into the scriptures.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post

Well then, I guess football falls in line with part of God's work and glory then. Bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of man, oh and football victories. I guess my arrogance is reading to much into the scriptures.
Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing?
I wonder if this is used in its proper context? If football is equal to sending the 12 Apostles to do missionary work, then I can see your point.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #14
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:

Spoken like someone who doesn't know me at all...

Well if you want to get extreme about this I suppose it could be argued that the Lord has engineered victories for BYU to entice more non-member players into coming to play there, and subsequently be exposed to the gospel and baptized.

I don't believe that the God I worship leaves me on my own unless the activity I am participating in is directly related to "bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of man..." I refuse to take all the credit for any success temporal or spiritual that I may acheive in this life, and I'd say a fair amount of what I attribute to him doesn't have anything to do with the work and glory.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #15
Tex

Quote:
I wonder if this is used in its proper context? If football is equal to sending the 12 Apostles to do missionary work, then I can see your point.
Amusing how you would rather rewrite the scriptures than entertain the thought that God might not completely suspend his power for a football game.

I suppose BYU should quit having a prayer beforehand, since the Fuegote Doctrine is: God don't care.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
By doing what? Making the pass a duck and making it fall short?
By "prompting" him to not break on the fake (as though the spirit didn't have other things to do)?
By tripping up Collie?

If it was a mormon db who was living the gospel similarly to Collie and he still got beat.... what then? Why didn't the Lord stop in and help him?
I have to sit back and laugh as Ute after Ute gets all worked up about this. You're getting played fuegote.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #17
Tex

Quote:
By doing what? Making the pass a duck and making it fall short?
By "prompting" him to not break on the fake (as though the spirit didn't have other things to do)?
By tripping up Collie?

If it was a mormon db who was living the gospel similarly to Collie and he still got beat.... what then? Why didn't the Lord stop in and help him?
The Lord has a righteousness flowchart which enables him to decide which athlete to help. It's possible that were your DB an active member, he MIGHT have been able to trump Collie.

This is why you should be all over KW to get more RM players. Also, you Utes need to really begin an in-house missionary program to convert recruits.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #18
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Spoken like someone who doesn't know me at all...
Irony at its finest.

Quote:
Well if you want to get extreme about this I suppose it could be argued that the Lord has engineered victories for BYU to entice more non-member players into coming to play there, and subsequently be exposed to the gospel and baptized.
but that's if you're arrogant to know the mind of God right?

Quote:
I don't believe that the God I worship leaves me on my own unless the activity I am participating in is directly related to "bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of man..." I refuse to take all the credit for any success temporal or spiritual that I may acheive in this life, and I'd say a fair amount of what I attribute to him doesn't have anything to do with the work and glory.
I don't believe God leaves me on my own at all. Far from that. I have seen him bless me in so many ways. For some reason though, I'm not in the NFL and I was living right. (crap, i didn't even start my high school team and I was the good guy [banging my hands on the piano], I was the good guy)
Old 11-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #19
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I have to sit back and laugh as Ute after Ute gets all worked up about this. You're getting played fuegote.
Yeah, I think Tex is playing me, but I had to post after reading BDB's comment. I think she's being serious.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #20
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Amusing how you would rather rewrite the scriptures than entertain the thought that God might not completely suspend his power for a football game.

I suppose BYU should quit having a prayer beforehand, since the Fuegote Doctrine is: God don't care.
God does care. He cares about the health and safety of those playing. He cares that the players have sportsmanship. He wants everyone to be their best self.

Has anyone ever asked God to help BYU win the game in the opening prayer? If he cared, wouldn't that be an automatic thing to ask. I mean, I keep forgetting to ask for his hand in getting the Texans out of last place in the AFC South, but would it help?

(On a side note, if anyone had a sense of humor, the would start the "Angels in the Outfield" arm thingy in LES next year)

But to think he cares about the outcome, that he is pulling for one team over the other.