cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 05:19 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

This should be a poll with a third option: God.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:48 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not even meaningful. The question.

Who is right? That question presupposes so many assumptions with which I am not in agreement.

I'm not even certain Church leaders, privately, are in disagreement with Church intellectuals, it's just each has a different role.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Way to set up a strawman, Rocky. Proper dialogue requires the questions be phrased intelligently with a point.

Your refrain, in that you detest intellectualism without understanding it, is tired.

The tensions of administrative leadership who must govern the masses from the center versus intellectuals, who must help define theology, for purposes of helping persons during times of trial and discovery, are healthy.

We do not need a purely intellectual leadership, we need pragmatic leadership, with an eye to rational thought, empirical observation and faith.

In short, I reject your dichotomy as meaningful. It is a stupid, asinine question, unworthy of response.
COL Sylvanus Thayer, is that you?

Indeed the Church must balance Athens and Sparta, leadership versus intellectualism.

However, can I stay in the group that thinks most intellectuals are weenies, if not pussies?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
COL Sylvanus Thayer, is that you?

Indeed the Church must balance Athens and Sparta, leadership versus intellectualism.

However, can I stay in the group that thinks most intellectuals are weenies, if not pussies?
You're nothing but a pussy army wuss, who's afraid of real work. Come talk to me when you give up the pussy sprinter's workout.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Most "intellectuals" are good guys, then you've got the ones on here who act like they've been repressed by the Church their whole life and feel like they've found a common bond with the other poor repressed souls and love to believe they're on some higher pedestal of light and learning, and seem to be on some kind of bizarre mission to "enlighten" others, when in reality faith is more poweful than their arrogant ways. Faith is more powerful than "intellectualism".

It's amusing if not anything.

I'm glad someone stupid like me is wise and knows this.
Intellectuals are also usually academics. Generally, their professional expectations and pursuits lead them to harsh criticism of "the Church" because often faith and the scientific method are at odds.

In the end their influence is extremely limited. Academics are welcome to their sphere as a bunch of needlenecked wankers whose most daunting professional hazzard is a paper cut, but really the only folks they influence is each other. Look who is the President of the United States, think he ever reads the editorials?

This brilliant venue is just a place they can congregate in their cyber world. Let them have it without being such a dick sometimes. The Church is a big tent and their contributions are meaningful even though their rhetoric is often tiring. But their rhetoric is usually maintained within their spheres, if you don't like it don't come, but honestly your condescending trite critiques of their lack of faith is probably more tiring, as you are in their sphere, and equally arrogant.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #16
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You're nothing but a pussy army wuss, who's afraid of real work. Come talk to me when you give up the pussy sprinter's workout.
Us Pussy Sprinters also run the 400 mtr, the most difficult and sucking race in track. Nothing tests the mettle of a man, or woman, than coming off the final curve seeing pink elephants with a gallon of lactic acid built up in your ass cheeks while trying to figure out which lane is yours.

However, your assesment is correct as I finally gave up the 400 to focus on the 100.

"Though I beaten' and flayed ya, by the living gods that made ya, you are a better man than me, GUNGA DIN!"
Old 05-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the curse of having the 400m as my best event.

The monkey jumps on your back at 200m.

By the last 75m, I couldn't really feel or control my legs. Autopilot bathed in pain.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Us Pussy Sprinters also run the 400 mtr, the most difficult and sucking race in track. Nothing tests the mettle of a man, or woman, than coming off the final curve seeing pink elephants with a gallon of lactic acid built up in your ass cheeks while trying to figure out which lane is yours.

However, your assesment is correct as I finally gave up the 400 to focus on the 100.

"Though I beaten' and flayed ya, by the living gods that made ya, you are a better man than me, GUNGA DIN!"
So the pussy also ran the 400. Good for him. Now I waddled through the high school 400 at about a 57, but at least I run them now during interval training.

I agree the 400 is painful during the mid 100. At least during the last 100 you can see the finish line. You're still a pussy wanker army guy. And by the way, the radio guys were discussing how Jenna really looks bad now, that she must have gained 100 pounds.

Run a double marathon or ride a double century and talk to me about suffering.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
You and I may have similar viewpoints on a lot of issues, but I detest the way you present them. My main problem with your tactics is that you pound the drum of faith while withholding charity.

People are given different gifts in this life and they are manifested in different ways. Many people have not been given the same gift of faith that you have, yet you are completely unsympathetic. You expect them to have a similar faith and when they don't, you insult. This is not only rude, but it is gospel cherry picking. I would be impressed with your enormous faith if it were more evident in your interactions with others.
See and I don't care that you detest the way I present my view.

Besides....the arrogant assholes (not all "intellectuals" on here mind you, just a select few) on here have earned having it shoved in their face. Their attitudes and arrogance don't warrant civility and I don't regret for a nano-second telling them that.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I've found that running 90 ft. at a time is just right. A long enough distance to make almost anyone look good, yet short enough that there is no pain.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote