cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2008, 01:27 AM   #11
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
So would this qualify as religious bigotry (From today's USA Today)?

"West Virginia GOP convention delegate Brian Bigelow said on Tuesday he would support 'whoever can defeat Mitt Romney. I don't believe that Bible-believing Christians should take part in the mainstreaming of Mormonism.'"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...-fallout_N.htm
No, that's not bigotry, that's rational decision making Romney should not even be permitted to offer his ideas let alone run for office simply because he is Mormon
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:07 AM   #12
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Bigorty is NOT whatever you want it to be. It is, to quote the dictionary, "stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own."

Stubborn and COMPLETE intolerance are the key words -oh the irony. Until Bigotry is universally condemned by all persons on this board there cannot be an enlightened discussion.
Yes, we've already gone to the dictionary on this topic, and the dictionary isn't helpful. According to the common definition, science is inherently bigoted because it doesn't accept fairies and bigfoot. The point of these discussions is to try to find a definition that can be selectively and meaningfully applied. The dictionary does not define words, it only attempts to encapsulate common usage. It often fails.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #13
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Yes, we've already gone to the dictionary on this topic, and the dictionary isn't helpful. According to the common definition, science is inherently bigoted because it doesn't accept fairies and bigfoot. The point of these discussions is to try to find a definition that can be selectively and meaningfully applied. The dictionary does not define words, it only attempts to encapsulate common usage. It often fails.
'It often fails' only when it is convenient to you.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:25 AM   #14
woot

Quote:
'It often fails' only when it is convenient to you.
So you believe in dictionarical infallibility? If not, refute what I said.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:37 AM   #15
tooblue

Quote:
So you believe in dictionarical infallibility? If not, refute what I said.
I don't have to refute what you said because it is patently absurd to begin with. You would prefer to parse words in hopes of providing justification for opinions that ignore the facts that bigotry is the driving force behind the dislike of Romney.Contend with the facts that have been espoused by many here on this board and in certain articles in the media.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:11 AM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
So would this qualify as religious bigotry (From today's USA Today)?

"West Virginia GOP convention delegate Brian Bigelow said on Tuesday he would support 'whoever can defeat Mitt Romney. I don't believe that Bible-believing Christians should take part in the mainstreaming of Mormonism.'"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...-fallout_N.htm
You know, I think the comment is silly, and maybe close to the line in terms of bigotry. Just the self-congratulatory reference to "Bible believing Christians" makes me imagine the speaker nearly with his knuckles dragging on the ground (does that make me a bigot? I think not). He's a moron. But I don't think he's a bigot. He's making a value judgment (however alien it is to me) which voters are entitled to do.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #17
woot

Quote:
I don't have to refute what you said because it is patently absurd to begin with. You would prefer to parse words in hopes of providing justification for opinions that ignore the facts that bigotry is the driving force behind the dislike of Romney.Contend with the facts that have been espoused by many here on this board and in certain articles in the media.
I'm not talking about Romney, nor am I interested in doing so. The man does not interest me. I apologize if I gave you the impression that's what we're talking about. Because the term "bigotry" is used so often, I am interested in finding a definition that allows the description of baseless hatred or intolerance that can't also be used to describe the kinds of reasonable intolerance that every human being has for everyday absurdities.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #18
tooblue

Quote:
I'm not talking about Romney, nor am I interested in doing so. The man does not interest me. I apologize if I gave you the impression that's what we're talking about. Because the term "bigotry" is used so often, I am interested in finding a definition that allows the description of baseless hatred or intolerance that can't also be used to describe the kinds of reasonable intolerance that every human being has for everyday absurdities.
This thread is about Romney and your hi-jack is not very interesting.