cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #181
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This will look rather silly coming from the typo king, but we all have our pet peeves: unless looking only to dull your blade, one hoes long rows, not roads.
I was thinking that was going to be an awful lot of work, but then I thought perhaps that was his point. Plus, I was just relieved he misspelled row and not hoe.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #182
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This will look rather silly coming from the typo king, but we all have our pet peeves: unless looking only to dull your blade, one hoes long rows, not roads. (you can always tell who grew up in a farming community with this one)
yes but if you're trying to drive your English teacher nuts, you can mix metaphors and use road.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 PM   #183
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Did I tell you about the Enrichment night I went to (one of the few), and they had a speaker talking about the importance of practicing Kegels for older women to stop incontinence. She then added something like , "and your husbands will thank you too." The younger women giggled and the middle-aged woman she was talking to looked flabbergasted.
LOL, I got a great kick out of this. Thanks for sharing.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #184
Bruincoug

Bruincoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Right. It's a matter of whether we can get it through to our young women that that is not their *only* worth or goal in life, and if we can convince them to wait long enough to wed that they've established some of their own identity and worth outside of male attention and/or companionship.

The phenomenon of women finding their identity and worth in men is obviously not unique to this church or any other.
Exactly. I'm not denying that it's fundamentally, genetically part of me or my sisters to seek companionship. But, I hope that my sisters/daughters can derive self-esteem from other pursuits and achievements such that if they end up never attracting a lifemate that they can still view their lives as good, successful, productive, meaningful, etc -- rather than utter failure to obtain the only important goals.

Last edited by Bruincoug; 10-29-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Bruincoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #185
Bruincoug

Bruincoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Anyone who claims this is misinformed on LDS doctrine, Barbara. Preparation for a healthy marriage and family life is obviously a large part of what we teach our youth, but this "attract a man or go to hell" reductionism by you and Bruincoug gives me a great chuckle.
excuse me -- please point to where i am guilty of any such reductionism.
also, Barbara didn't point to "LDS doctrine" at all -- re-read what she wrote. and be more careful before you launch into confrontation.

what are most YW taught in the Church is a woman's highest calling? which goals do the Brethren tell YSA take precedence over preparing for a temple marriage?
Bruincoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #186
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincoug View Post
also, Barbara didn't point to "LDS doctrine" at all
of course I didn't. Trying to tell Mormons what the LDS church teaches? That would be pretty funny.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #187
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
what are most YW taught in the Church is a woman's highest calling? which goals do the Brethren tell YSA take precedence over preparing for a temple marriage?
I surprised I am going to say this but I am with BruinCoug, I was about to defend Tex (I know crazy huh, even Surfah said DON'T!) I even had the reply window open, but then I thought about my old singles branch Pres giving our RS Pres a good talk during one of their interviews about doing something to "perk up" her appearance. This is a man I love BTW and think highly of, still do. And she is no ugly duckling either, just 29 and not married. Maybe the emphasis on appearance is more obnoxious than we'd all like to admit.

On another note a temple marriage IS the end all be all. We all know that without it we can't get to the highest of the highest. I often wonder how that makes people like Barbara Thompson feel? She was in our old ward when we lived in SLC. Totally faithful and great, probably wasn't even half bad looking in her prime but never married and now in the General Young Women's Presidency. I mean, hello!, she speaks at functions like General Conference a long with our Prophet and she can't make it to the highest of the highest after this life and I can?
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:24 PM   #188
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
also, Barbara didn't point to "LDS doctrine" at all -- re-read what she wrote. and be more careful before you launch into confrontation.
I don't know if she intended this post as a commentary on LDS doctrine or culture. But either way, it doesn't comport.

Take note, I replied to you, and then she chose to respond.

Quote:

You engaged in absurd reductionism when you tied young women's sex appeal to their salvation, and then suggested that was the teaching of the church.

In your words, the church "adds pressure to be attractive" and "damns" other achievements by turning temple marriage into a "sweepstakes" where the losers question their standing in God's eyes.

Ridiculous.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #189
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
I mean, hello!, she speaks at functions like General Conference a long with our Prophet and she can't make it to the highest of the highest after this life and I can?
You are aware of the doctrine about everyone having the opportunity who wants it, right?

And you do realize too that getting married is not having your ticket punched?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #190
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
And you do realize too that getting married is not having your ticket punched?
of course not.

you have to keep your man satisfied, too.