cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 AM   #181
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I dont really know any people who postponed their family specifically to be able to travel. Do you?

I know several who wished they had traveled more prior to having kids, but I have yet to meet someone who said, "we dont want to have kids yet because we are really hoping to go to England next summer."
I had a friend who said kids had to wait until after the 2 month sabbatical to Italy.

Of course, kids never came after that either.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #182
DevilCoug

DevilCoug is on a distinguished road

I married and had children very young. I had many friends and aquaintances who waited until they were older. My wife was, and is, hotter than their's. They have no financial advantage over me. I play catch with my older kids and I can still throw it in the 80's. Their kids will be pushing them in a wheel chair. I was working my tail off while they were wasting time - and I have no regrets.
DevilCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:46 AM   #183
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I would have asked the questions no matter the sex or religion of BDB, you dimwit. I was curious what BDB meant by she tried her best, I wasn't condemning or sitting in judgment in the slightest. I find it interesting why relationships don't work out even though parties to that relationship feel like they've done their best.

You look for opportunities to identify an oppressive and hateful culture within the LDS Church wherever and whenever you can, even though in many instances there is absolutely nothing there.

It will take heavy, heavy lifting to remove the burr from under your saddle. Until you do, you're going to continue to be hallucinatory, and you won't reach any sort of clarity grounded in reality.
As I said, that the discussion occurs at all is very wrong. The questions are still oppressive if asked of a man, but the effect is magnified for an LDS woman. How can you deny that much? You can't.

In America age 30 is not old to be unmarried except in LDS culture. She is making a rational decision that inherently should not invite inquiry. But she is made to feel defensive here, in a bastion of enlightenment for LDS culture. I shudder to think what it must be like in more mainstream venues.

One thing I do not lack is clarity. I think any fair minded person would have to agree there is a discernible thread in my outlook.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 AM   #184
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilCoug View Post
I married and had children very young. I had many friends and aquaintances who waited until they were older. My wife was, and is, hotter than their's. They have no financial advantage over me. I play catch with my older kids and I can still throw it in the 80's. Their kids will be pushing them in a wheel chair. I was working my tail off while they were wasting time - and I have no regrets.
theirs, not their's

—Paul Auster
Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 AM   #185
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
In America age 30 is not old to be unmarried except in LDS culture.
Ha. Are you good friends with any Jews?

Go ask a Jewish mom how she feels about her daughter being 30 and not married....or at least very close to being married.

One of the guys I work closely with is Jewish and his mom is always trying to set him up. He is 28.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:57 AM   #186
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As I said, that the discussion occurs at all is very wrong. The questions are still oppressive if asked of a man, but the effect is magnified for an LDS woman. How can you deny that much? You can't.

In America age 30 is not old to be unmarried except in LDS culture. She is making a rational decision that inherently should not invite inquiry. But she is made to feel defensive here, in a bastion of enlightenment for LDS culture. I shudder to think what it must be like in more mainstream venues.

One thing I do not lack is clarity. I think any fair minded person would have to agree there is a discernible thread in my outlook.
So someone says to you, "I was dating a great guy; all my friends thought he was a great guy; and I tried my best, I really did, but I had to dump him."

So then I ask, "Really? Why? Just curious what it was? Was itthat you tried your hardest to love him, but couldn't? That you tried your hardest to want to get married to him, but you couldn't awake the desire?"

It's called simple relationship questions. I'd ask them of an 18 year old, 25 year old, 30 year old, 40 year old, or of BYU71.

Please explain how such questions are oppressive in the way you mean it.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:08 AM   #187
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Ha. Are you good friends with any Jews?

Go ask a Jewish mom how she feels about her daughter being 30 and not married....or at least very close to being married.

One of the guys I work closely with is Jewish and his mom is always trying to set him up. He is 28.
Yes. Lots. I had lunch with one today.

Okay, so he is 28. That is ancient in LDS culture to be unmarried. I guarantee his rabbi wasn't encouraging him to marry before he finished college.

You're grasping.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 AM   #188
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're grasping.
While to say that ours is the only culture that puts an emphasis on marriage is somewhat myopic, it's true that LDS are known for families. I'm not so sure that's such a bad thing. Given the way the world has generally turned away from this cornerstone of civilization, I'm happy to say my culture hasn't.

I don't fear being alone in that pride.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #189
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
While to say that ours is the only culture that puts an emphasis on marriage is somewhat myopic, it's true that LDS are known for families. I'm not so sure that's such a bad thing. Given the way the world has generally turned away from this cornerstone of civilization, I'm happy to say my culture hasn't.

I don't fear being alone in that pride.
Well stated, Tex. There is nothing wrong with marriage and family. Even if it's younger than the enlightened think it should be.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:50 AM   #190
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilCoug View Post
While their kids are pushing them in that chair they will be thinking of all the sex they had with different partners when they were in their twenties. They to will have no regrets.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote