cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #151
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
This same argument could be made in every single instance where the Supreme Court has overturned the laws of a state.
Only in instances where the court has said, "well, we don't have enough data, so we'll just fill in the rest with our own personal opinion on what the law should be."

Ergo, judicial activism.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #152
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
If we could return to the issue here ...

Upon reflection, this revelation really illustrates my objection to this ruling. Here we have Congress--the body of the people, mind you, and as representative of national mood as any vehicle possibly could be--expressing their will on this issue in the form of the UMCJ, and the Court completely ignored it! And not only the majority, but the minority missed it as well.

It is near impossible for a single judge--or 5 or 9 of them--to properly and fairly gauge "national consensus" nor "evolving standards of decency" on a matter like this. What this amounts to nothing more than these justices inserting their personal opinions into the law.
You're smarter than 9 Supreme Court justices and a buttload of attorneys who worked on the appeal. Good for you.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug

Last edited by SoCalCoug; 07-10-2008 at 08:59 PM.
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #153
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
You're smarter than 9 Supreme Court justices and a buttload of attorneys who worked on the appeal. Good for you.
No, just smarter than 5 of them, plus you.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #154
SoCalCoug

Quote:
No, just smarter than 5 of them, plus you.

All nine missed that military statute.

Want to re-think that last point?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #155
Tex

Quote:
All nine missed that military statute.

Want to re-think that last point?
I thought we were talking about the ruling. How is the missing of a military rule an issue of "smarts"?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #156
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Only in instances where the court has said, "well, we don't have enough data, so we'll just fill in the rest with our own personal opinion on what the law should be."

Ergo, judicial activism.
Data isn't the most important factor. The interpretation of the data is. You are interpreting the data the Court had available as "insufficient" and the justices are saying that the data available is sufficient and dictates that the statute must be overturned. Your argument is the exact same argument that is given anytime the Court overturns a state's laws. "Judicial activism" only means the Court acted in opposition to your wishes.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #157
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Data isn't the most important factor. The interpretation of the data is. You are interpreting the data the Court had available as "insufficient" and the justices are saying that the data available is sufficient and dictates that the statute must be overturned. Your argument is the exact same argument that is given anytime the Court overturns a state's laws. "Judicial activism" only means the Court acted in opposition to your wishes.
The Court more-or-less said the data was insufficient when they turned to "their own understanding."

Your redefining judicial activism as a disagreeable decision is just intellectually lazy, no surprise given your reading problems.

Ed Whelan gives a great definition of the term here:

Quote:
Let me offer a few points of explanation of what I mean by the term “liberal judicial activism”:

1. For rulings on questions of constitutional law, I will identify judicial decisions that wrongly override laws or policies that flow from the democratic processes and instead entrench, in the name of the Constitution, liberal policy preferences.

2. I intend to use the term “judicial passivism” for judicial decisions that make the opposite error—that fail to enforce constitutional guarantees. Because the two errors are often related—it’s no surprise that justices and judges who embrace the make-it-up-as-you-go-along approach to inventing rights that aren’t in the Constitution also will ignore rights that are in it—I may occasionally include instances of liberal judicial passivism.

3. For rulings on non-constitutional questions, I will identify judicial decisions that implausibly construe legal texts to reach liberal policy results.

4. I will not be not probing the subjective motivations of judges. To identify a decision as an instance of liberal judicial activism does not necessarily mean that I am alleging that the judges responsible for the decision have indulged, deliberately or otherwise, their own policy preferences, though I certainly believe that often to be the case. It might instead be that they misconceive the judicial role or that they simply err. In terms of the injury done to American citizens’ power of self-governance, the cause of the error is of little interest.
http://bench.nationalreview.com/post...M5Y2MxMzM3ZDU=

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #158
SoCalCoug

Quote:
I thought we were talking about the ruling. How is the missing of a military rule an issue of "smarts"?
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=152

Come on, Tex, keep up!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #159
SoCalCoug

Quote:
The Court more-or-less said the data was insufficient when they turned to "their own understanding."

Your redefining judicial activism as a disagreeable decision is just intellectually lazy, no surprise given your reading problems.

Ed Whelan gives a great definition of the term here:

http://bench.nationalreview.com/post...M5Y2MxMzM3ZDU=
In other words, anything that appears to be consistent with the "liberal agenda"; and therefore, anything inconsistent with your view.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #160
Tex

Quote:
If there's a way you could be less clear in this conversation, I can't come up with it.

Quote:
In other words, anything that appears to be consistent with the "liberal agenda"; and therefore, anything inconsistent with your view.
Is that all you got out of Whelan's points?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young