cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 PM   #131
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
D&C 49: 15

And again, verily I say unto you, that whoso forbiddeth to marry is not ordained of God, for marriage is ordained of God unto man.

D&C 132 15-17

Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world.

Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are aangels of God forever and ever.

D&C 131: 2-3

And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];

And if he does not, he cannot obtain it.

Spencer W. Kimball:

If we spend our mortal days in accumulating secular knowledge to the exclusion of the spiritual then we are in a dead-end street, for this is the time for man to prepare to meet God; this is the time for faith to be built, for baptism to be effected, for the Holy Ghost to be received, for the ordinances to be performed.
Where's the part about a pig with lipstick?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:05 PM   #132
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Well, I'm certainly glad that fusnik isn't going to be the one judging people in the hereafter.
I'm an advocate of the single LDS. In fact had my lovely wife not came into my life exactly at the point she did I'd most certainly still be happily single.

I'm just pointing out that the church being an advocate of the single saint is merely putting lipstick on a pig. Canon and the teachings of the prophets are not kind to the single LDS person.

A single LDS = gay LDS in the sense that there really isn't much place for them despite what Sherry Dew says.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 PM   #133
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Do you really think there is a correllation between adultery and great leadership? I wonder if it's more that great leaders are generally very charismatic people, and therefore have a greater ability to attract opportunity to cheat. Let's be honest, there are some married people out there that just aren't given much/any opportunity to even be seriously tempted to cheat.
Ding ding ding.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:16 PM   #134
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
and child bearing? Do you ever feel as if you'd been robbed of some elemental and possibly necessary experiences because of the age at which so many of you married and had kids?

I'm not looking for a recounting of the joys of marriage and kids etc. I'm asking if you feel like you've missed something, despite all the good it's brought to your life, by marrying and procreating at a young age.

Maybe this post is in the wrong place, but given that the acts in question spring from the church to which most of you belong I suppose it makes as much sense to put it here as anywhere else.
A lot of the single mom's I've dated have expressed this very thing to me. They suddenly get the wild hair to go out and live the life they felt they never did, decide that they grew up too fast and didn't get to experience other things, and in the process end up destroying a marriage.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #135
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
A lot of the single mom's I've dated have expressed this very thing to me. They suddenly get the wild hair to go out and live the life they felt they never did, decide that they grew up too fast and didn't get to experience other things, and in the process end up destroying a marriage.
It is odd to me, but based on my observation over time it usually hits them sometime in their early 30's.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #136
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
yeah, a bit
I should clarify. I don't feel regret at getting married young. I do think how much easier it would have been financially to get married later. I do think that it might have been fun to see more of the world, but if waiting to get married would result in not having my current wife and kids there is no way I make that trade.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #137
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I should clarify. I don't feel regret at getting married young. I do think how much easier it would have been financially to get married later. I do think that it might have been fun to see more of the world, but if waiting to get married would result in not having my current wife and kids there is no way I make that trade.
Dang good post and conclusion.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #138
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
It is odd to me, but based on my observation over time it usually hits them sometime in their early 30's.
Crap.

My wife is almost 31.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 PM   #139
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Crap.

My wife is almost 31.
Mine too! We need to come up with a plan.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #140
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Mine too! We need to come up with a plan.
Suck it up and do more housework.

My better 3/4 hit __ in May.

Ha! You didn't think I'd actually post her age, did you?

I won't say, but I'm 44 and she's 3 years younger.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote