cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #131
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
He wouldn't have paid the cost of the mission home (the church owns the property), travel expenses (except for family travel) or utilities. He would have had to pay the cost of maintaining his home in the US and any other bills he had to pay from back home, and he would have had to do it all with no income. He also would have paid for all food while on the mission (and I believe all fuel consumption as well). If he wanted an additional vehicle on the mission (aside from the generally single church vehicle provided), he would have had to pay for that too.
As such, I don't see how this represents a sizeable increase in expenditures for a retired individual.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #132
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

My Dad was called to be a Mission President just before he retired working for the church, but was unable to go because of health reasons...and my parents were far from well off, so I wouldn't have a problem if Mission Presidents got a little something $$ wise dependent upon their needs of course.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #133
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't think there is much of a distinction between an allowance and being paid. Either way, you get money. They church system is based on need/assignment. Once that is determined, they get more or less a set amount each month (like a salary). The difference between an allowance as the church uses it and a salary is marginal at best.

I don't have a problem with any of this either (and don't understand why you find it "hurtful"). They need money to live and the church gives it to them. Problem solved. In fact, I would argue that the SHOULD be paying mission presidents in order to make it possible for the non-wealthy to serve in that capacity. The church is seriously limiting the pool of mission president candidates by only having the wealthy available for selection.
Hmmm... I am not so sure about that. A good friend of mine was just called to be mission president in Russia. Given where he works, their home, and the cars they drive, I can guarantee you that he is not wealthy. Not by a long shot. I guess I will have to probe a bit and see if he will give me some details.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #134
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My former hometeaching companion (when I was a deacon or so) was the Institute director, and was called to be a mission president in Germany. I think he was in his 40s. And I can assure you he was not rich. He had to sell his home to fund his mission.

He is, of course, the exception to the rule.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #135
Indy Coug

I'll agree that mission presidents tend to be wealthier than the average member, but it's hardly a make or break criteria for being called.

I think the church likes to call mission presidents that are both retired and younger. Retired, because they don't have to sacrifice their careers and don't have young kids to deal with. Younger, because they tend to be in better health and are able to withstand the considerable rigors of the calling.

If a person is both retired and younger, they usually are relatively properous.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 02-12-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #136
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Hmmm... I am not so sure about that. A good friend of mine was just called to be mission president in Russia. Given where he works, their home, and the cars they drive, I can guarantee you that he is not wealthy. Not by a long shot. I guess I will have to probe a bit and see if he will give me some details.
I don't doubt there are some who are called who aren't wealthy. I would argue they are the clear exception to the rule. Simply peruse the Church News around calling time and read up on the new presidents. You will find a lot of corporate officers, doctors, etc. You will not find a lot of school teachers, construction workers, etc.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #137
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'll agree that mission presidents tend to be wealthier than the average member, but it's hardly a make or break criteria for being called.

I think the church likes to call mission presidents that are both retired and younger. Retired, because they don't have to sacrifice their careers. Younger, because they tend to be in better health, don't have young kids to deal with and are able to withstand the considerable rigors of the calling.

If a person is both retired and younger, they usually are relatively properous.
I agree.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #138
MikeWaters
Demiurge

is being a mission president a calling, or is it more like a request?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #139
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
is being a mission president a calling, or is it more like a request?
You mean those aren't synonymous?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #140
MikeWaters
Demiurge

in other word, is there more latitude for turning it down (finances, health, etc).