cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #131
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You are the one that brought up the history of US conflict with natives and Mexicans, not me. I was responding to your question. I certainly have not equated it to the current Israel/Palestine conflict. I simply said that we committed genocide/ethnic cleansing on the Indians on numerous occasions. Would you or Tex disagree with that assessment?
You are presenting a false dichotomy, Leb. You're casting what happened in the 19th century in 21st century terms, and radioactive terms to boot. If a country went out today and did what we did then, yes, I think there would be an outcry. World politics has changed in 200 years.

That doesn't mean that it's "genocide" for crying out loud, especially as we think of the term today. American settlers did not set out in the West to exterminate the American Indian.

This is just a reflection of the conversation over Japanese internment camps. We have good people making the best decisions they can with the information they had, and the world they lived in. And we have a bunch of pointy-headed "smart guys" who benefited from those decisions, tsk-tsking at them from their comfortable armchairs a few decades later.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #132
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Scanning this thread is Kafkaesque for me. Tex, I generally endorse your posts here. You're right. As for Waters and Lebowski, they have soft pointy heads.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #133
SeattleUte

Seriously, hasn't it been clear for a long time that there's a piece of real estate to be had for a Palestinian nation, if its citizens (or, more precisely, the neo-facsist thugs who claim to speak for the Palestinians) would have Israel as their neighbor and recognize the right of a Jewish state to exist?

—Paul Auster
Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #134
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You are the one that brought up the history of US conflict with natives and Mexicans, not me. I was responding to your question. I certainly have not equated it to the current Israel/Palestine conflict. I simply said that we committed genocide/ethnic cleansing on the Indians on numerous occasions. Would you or Tex disagree with that assessment?
I would agree with that assessment. You did say numerous occasions. I take that to mean not "all" occasions or even necessarily "most" occasions.

The point I was trying to make with Mike was that some occupations ultimately are good for the occupier. As Mike skillfully does, even better than ex, he moves the discussion to another area. In this case genocide. Moving along with him I brought up the occupation of Mexico's territory that has worked out well for the occupier without genocide.

Rotten things done in the context of the whole doesn't necessarily mean the result will be unfavorable.

This is a trite metaphor, but all I can think of. You can throw several inteceptions in a game, but still win the game.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #135
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You are presenting a false dichotomy, Leb. You're casting what happened in the 19th century in 21st century terms, and radioactive terms to boot. If a country went out today and did what we did then, yes, I think there would be an outcry. World politics has changed in 200 years.

That doesn't mean that it's "genocide" for crying out loud, especially as we think of the term today. American settlers did not set out in the West to exterminate the American Indian.
"dichotomy"? What dichotomy?

There are plenty of episodes in our history with the native Americans that would qualify as genocide or ethnic cleansing. To say otherwise exhibits a profound ignorance of US history.

What about the wholesale slaughter of Navajos leading up to the "Long Walk" relocating what remained of the tribe from Arizona to Mexico? Even the US public at the time thought that was a horrible idea and it was reversed after three years.

What about the "Trail of Tears" relocation of the Cherokee from Georgia to Oklahoma? What term would you use to describe that?

What about the systematic slaughter of the buffalo over the period of a few months by the US government to cut off the Indians' food supply to finally break them?

Pointing out these episodes in our history doesn't mean that there were easy answers at the time, nor does it mean I don't love my country. It is simply being honest. We have done some wonderful things in our past and we have done some horrible things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This is just a reflection of the conversation over Japanese internment camps. We have good people making the best decisions they can with the information they had, and the world they lived in. And we have a bunch of pointy-headed "smart guys" who benefited from those decisions, tsk-tsking at them from their comfortable armchairs a few decades later.
Help me out here, Tex. How did I benefit from the Japanese internment camps?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #136
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
The point I was trying to make with Mike was that some occupations ultimately are good for the occupier. As Mike skillfully does, even better than ex, he moves the discussion to another area. In this case genocide. Moving along with him I brought up the occupation of Mexico's territory that has worked out well for the occupier without genocide.
Well if you want to go down that road, I suppose you may want to trot out Lingo's argument that slavery was a good thing since the descendants of slaves ending up living in the US as opposed to Africa.

As far as Mexican territory is concerned, the US granted full rights of citizenship to the people in the conquered lands. That certainly has not happened in the West Bank and I doubt it ever will.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #137
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Seriously, hasn't it been clear for a long time that there's a piece of real estate to be had for a Palestinian nation, if its citizens (or, more precisely, the neo-facsist thugs who claim to speak for the Palestinians) would have Israel as their neighbor and recognize the right of a Jewish state to exist?
Your ignorance is showing. If you were to offer the Palestinians full autonomy, removal of settlements, restoration of water, etc. in the West Bank in exchange for recognition of Israel's right to exist, the majority of them would take that in a heartbeat. It has never been offered.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #138
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Scanning this thread is Kafkaesque for me. Tex, I generally endorse your posts here. You're right. As for Waters and Lebowski, they have soft pointy heads.
Enlighten us, oh Wise One. Point out the errors in our posts.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #139
SeattleUte

Quote:
Your ignorance is showing. If you were to offer the Palestinians full autonomy, removal of settlements, restoration of water, etc. in the West Bank in exchange for recognition of Israel's right to exist, the majority of them would take that in a heartbeat. It has never been offered.
Does it matter what a majority of Palestinians want? I didn't know Palestinians was a democracy.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #140
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Does it matter what a majority of Palestinians want? I didn't know Palestinians was a democracy.
Come on. You can do better than that.