cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #121
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Don't Jews discourage that? Don't the black churches discourage inter-racial marriages? C'mon, get off your Mormon bashing.

Considering at the time, mixed marriages caused tremendous stress on those families and especially their children, you would have encourage it?
No, I'm not aware that other American churches are recommending it in their publicly available official literature.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #122
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Still didn't answer my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No, I'm not aware that other American churches are recommending it in their publicly available official literature.
Blacks encourage interracial marriage? Jews encourage marriage outside of the Jewish faith? Catholics discourage marrying outside the church?

Nice try. Just answer the 3 questions above. A simple yes or no will do.

BTW.......there are 3 interracial marriages in our stake and everyone gets along just fine. All 3 AA hold callings in their respective wards. Now what again was your point?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #123
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Blacks encourage interracial marriage? Jews encourage marriage outside of the Jewish faith? Catholics discourage marrying outside the church?

BTW.......there are 3 interracial marriages in our stake and everyone gets along just fine. All 3 AA hold callings in their respective wards. Now what again was your point?
That's the thing. The lesson goes far beyond "marry in your own faith." It essentially says "not only marry in your faith, marry in your own race in your own faith in your own economic class."

No, I am not aware that Catholics or Jews have any injunction against miscegenation in their currently taught public literature.

I don't know how to respond to "blacks" because I don't see that as a cohesive group with official policy like some dumbasses around here.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #124
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Somehow I don't think Mike would have an issue with a church lesson manual encouraging marriage within the church. I think you're intentionally trying to confuse the issue.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #125
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I don't know how to respond to "blacks" because I don't see that as a cohesive group with official policy like some dumbasses around here.
LOL. that was the first thing I thought of when I read exie's post.

Do "blacks" get together weekly to discuss official black protocol? if so, exie should go find out what they talk about and then return to the group with his findings.

it's funny how racism rears its head in the least expected places.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #126
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
LOL. that was the first thing I thought of when I read exie's post.

Do "blacks" get together weekly to discuss official black protocol? if so, exie should go find out what they talk about and then return to the group with his findings.

it's funny how racism rears its head in the least expected places.
in exie's posts, you find that an unexpected place?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #127
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
in exie's posts, you find that an unexpected place?
good point. *hangs head in shame*

My apologies to the blacks.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #128
exUte

Default What is the official policy of the church?

Quote:
That's the thing. The lesson goes far beyond "marry in your own faith." It essentially says "not only marry in your faith, marry in your own race in your own faith in your own economic class."

No, I am not aware that Catholics or Jews have any injunction against miscegenation in their currently taught public literature.

Geez, they didn't excommunicate or prevent the 3 families I know of from holding callings because of their mixed marriages. In fact one AA was in our high council. We served together. What was the Stake President thinking when he went against the 'official' policy? Sounds like someone broke the official policy. Always nice to throw out the racism card. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by exUte; 09-10-2008 at 10:53 PM.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #129
exUte

Default Which lesson was it?

Quote:
This lesson was taught to the YM in my ward this past Sunday. The Kimball quote (paraphrased above) was used twice in the lesson by the teacher (a member of the Bishopric).

There were about 7 boys in attendance. Only one was white. So these non-white kids, in a white church, are being told to marry in their race.

It was also suggested during the lesson by another adult, that marrying a "career woman" might be a bad idea.

I didn't say anything during the meeting, but I will bring it up with the YM President first. And then maybe the Bishopric.

Minority kids in this white church have a tough enough time already. There is no sense in putting this nonsense on their plate.

My suggestion to the church curriculum office to remove the passage has not been met with any response.
eom
Old 09-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #130
exUte

Default You mean this lesson?

Quote:
This lesson was taught to the YM in my ward this past Sunday. The Kimball quote (paraphrased above) was used twice in the lesson by the teacher (a member of the Bishopric).

There were about 7 boys in attendance. Only one was white. So these non-white kids, in a white church, are being told to marry in their race.

It was also suggested during the lesson by another adult, that marrying a "career woman" might be a bad idea.

I didn't say anything during the meeting, but I will bring it up with the YM President first. And then maybe the Bishopric.

Minority kids in this white church have a tough enough time already. There is no sense in putting this nonsense on their plate.

My suggestion to the church curriculum office to remove the passage has not been met with any response.
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vg...____&hideNav=1

Sounds very racist to me. Does it to you MW, DDD, Archaea? Remove what passage? In which lesson?

Last edited by exUte; 09-10-2008 at 10:59 PM.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote