cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #121
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
would you accept his partner into your family? (family vacations/holidays)
The fact people are having a hard time answering this question says it all about the culture.

Then they go on to moan about how awful to be physically separated from a child against their wishes. IRONIC. Bullshit. There are things more important to the average devout Mormon than their children. They would feed their children to hounds for the Church.

I think the LDS Church is bad for the institution of marriage.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #122
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Because as we discussed at length yesterday (something about Piaget and company), young kids have limited moral sense, and it would be difficult to help them strike the balance between hate the sin, but love the sinner, while not acting in a way that gives the your children the impression that the sin isn't really a sin but is just archaic bigotry.
you teach young kids about sexual sins?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #123
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Maybe this is what Monson was concerned about.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3885948
He should fear it because that's what's next. This issue alone would keep BYU out of the Pac 10 till hell freezes over.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #124
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If I were some of you, I would be careful about being too homophobic. God has a strange way of teaching lessons and you might get a lesson you would prefer not to.
You throw around such accusations loosely, but they fit your purposes, so you feel justified. And you're an ass who makes lots of assumptions. I, like you, have gay family members (one bisexual) to whom I'm very close.

My comment related to a very specific time frame for a very specific person: a teenager who has soft attraction, and feels confused. The normalization of behavior in society make's the job of a parent harder if the parent does not want his children engaging in that behavior.

DDD --- so b/c I am able to teach my children that abortion is wrong means I shouldn't care whether society condones it?

All this talk
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #125
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The fact people are having a hard time answering this question says it all about the culture.

Then they go on to moan about how awful to be physically separated from a child against their wishes. IRONIC. Bullshit. There are things more important to the average devout Mormon than their children. They would feed their children to hounds for the Church.

I think the LDS Church is bad for the institution of marriage.
Give me a break.

The only honest answer to this particular question would be "I don't know what I'd do unless I was faced with this scenario." And you know that is the only answer and it has nothing to do with the LDS culture.

Again, you chose to leave. Get over it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #126
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
you teach young kids about sexual sins?
Yes, when they turn 4.

That way, they can make informed decisions about whether they want to begin having pre-marital sex immediately or wait until they are married.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #127
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
He should fear it because that's what's next. This issue alone would keep BYU out of the Pac 10 till hell freezes over.
I hope and pray Free Exercise wins out on this one.

But like the Boy Scouts, we'll be punished.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #128
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Give me a break.

The only honest answer to this particular question would be "I don't know what I'd do unless I was faced with this scenario." And you know that is the only answer and it has nothing to do with the LDS culture.

Again, you chose to leave. Get over it.
I can say unequivocally I'd treat my children no differently regardless of the gender of their mate. Believe me, there is so much else that is so much more important that would make me proud or disappointed in them. I am not in the minority in this among educated Americans. I'm just not. Look around you. This shouldn't be hard. It only is because you live in a time capsul.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #129
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
DDD --- so b/c I am able to teach my children that abortion is wrong means I shouldn't care whether society condones it?
Your assertion was that legalizing gay marriage would result in condoning gay sex. I basically blew that one out of the water since gay sex has been condoned for years and years.

You also claimed that if gay marriage were to be legal, that the result would be a breakdown in the social construct in which we teach our children. I also provided ample examples of legalized "sins" that do not prevent us from teaching our children right vs wrong.

You are now floating with a life preserver and want to shift the discussion to whether you should "care."

In the words of Michael Hutchence, "you can care all you want. Everybody does and thats ok."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #130
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I hope and pray Free Exercise wins out on this one.

But like the Boy Scouts, we'll be punished.
Free exercise? What are you talking about? Society has constitutional rights to ostracise Mormons because of their hate.

—Paul Auster