cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #121
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think there are many reasons why the LDS theology has ignored delving into that subject, I think the fact that the LDS Church wants to appear mainstream is a pressing explanation for this day and age.
Define LDS theology. I thought we'd established here wasn't any. I'm not aware of any.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #122
Jim Swarthout

Jim Swarthout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
That's drivel. Why would a Father in Heaven standby while his children disrespect their mother. That's what would be the inevitable consequence of focusing on her. My dad wouldn't even just sit there and let me mouth off to my mom. He'd do everything he could to protect her from whatever pain I could potentially inflict on her. I don't see why it's such a stretch to assume that a Heavenly couple would operate in the same fashion.
I realize it's just an analogy, but do you honestly believe that a father would cut off all communication between all children and their mother just b/c some of the children disrespect their mother? And isn't it patronizing to women to suggest that men are better suited to take abuse from their children then women? And do you honestly believe that a mother truly would desire no communication with her children? I don't know if you are a mother or not, but unless you've had children, you are not fully capable of understanding the dynamics at play here.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #123
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Swarthout View Post
I realize it's just an analogy, but do you honestly believe that a father would cut off all communication between all children and their mother just b/c some of the children disrespect their mother? And isn't it patronizing to women to suggest that men are better suited to take abuse from their children then women? And do you honestly believe that a mother truly would desire no communication with her children? I don't know if you are a mother or not, but unless you've had children, you are not fully capable of understanding the dynamics at play here.
Et tu Jim? Do you seriously believe any of this drivel?

—Paul Auster
Old 10-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #124
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's drivel. Why would a Father in Heaven standby while his children disrespect their mother. That's what would be the inevitable consequence of focusing on her. My dad wouldn't even just sit there and let me mouth off to my mom. He'd do everything he could to protect her from whatever pain I could potentially inflict on her. I don't see why it's such a stretch to assume that a Heavenly couple would operate in the same fashion.

would your father cut you off from your mom just because you sister mouthed off to her?

Last edited by Flystripper; 10-05-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #125
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Define LDS theology. I thought we'd established here wasn't any. I'm not aware of any.
Traditional doctrine. Standard works and talks from Apostles in GC. I guess that would be doctrine and theology would be what spins off of those things.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #126
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why don't you find this possible?

The answer you're giving is the answer the Church gives, but it doesn't make much sense. Of course the highlighted answer is speculative, but it appears to have some logic, not drivel to it.

So Heavenly Father allows his cherished Son, himself and children to be maligned but not his wife or (wives)? And we're not allowed to speak to mother?

What would you do if your dad said, no speaking to mom?
Well frankly one of my brothers got booted out of the house and was asked not to speak to my mother again. For quite some time all of his communication with her was filtered through my dad. Eventually, once he'd proven that he had made some changes and could interact with her in a more respectful fashion he was allowed to.

That answer makes sense to me. Husbands are supposed to protect and defend their wives and in this case, there's no way for him to allow interaction with her while we're on Earth, and still do that without stripping us of free agency. It all adds up in my mind.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #127
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well frankly one of my brothers got booted out of the house and was asked not to speak to my mother again. For quite some time all of his communication with her was filtered through my dad. Eventually, once he'd proven that he had made some changes and could interact with her in a more respectful fashion he was allowed to.

That answer makes sense to me. Husbands are supposed to protect and defend their wives and in this case, there's no way for him to allow interaction with her while we're on Earth, and still do that without stripping us of free agency. It all adds up in my mind.
BDB, you know Mary wasn't a virgin, right?

My point is that men and women aren't as easily placed in silos....

It's seems very strange that a father could order his kid never to speak to the mother again. Doesn't the mother get a say?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #128
SeattleUte

This thread has gone the way of the possession/exorcism thread.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #129
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Swarthout View Post
No I do not think it's patronizing to assume that women can't take abuse in general as well as men. We're more emotional, and prone to take insults more to heart. I didn't think that had to be spelled out. I figured that would be apparent to anyone that has spent 5 minutes reading this board.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #130
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No I do not think it's patronizing to assume that women can't take abuse in general as well as men. We're more emotional, and prone to take insults more to heart. I didn't think that had to be spelled out. I figured that would be apparent to anyone that has spent 5 minutes reading this board.
You saying Chapel Hill Coug is a girl?