cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #111
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
To me, this is like holding the superbowl in Sudan while they massacre people in Darfur. Sure Sudan wouldn't "own" the Super Bowl, but it sure would benefit from it, and is a tacit endorsement of Sudan.
But if Beijing hadn't been awarded the Olympic bid in the first place, you wouldn't see nearly the current amount of public pressure on their human rights record, would you?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #112
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
To me, this is like holding the superbowl in Sudan while they massacre people in Darfur. Sure Sudan wouldn't "own" the Super Bowl, but it sure would benefit from it, and is a tacit endorsement of Sudan.

Look, this is a nice tactic which I take as a concession you were wrong about a boycott of China (or at least that you can't effectively assert it anymore). The Olympics are not in Iran and they wil nto be for my lifetime. As you may have noticed, the Olympic movement tends to shy away from active war zones.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #113
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Imagine how the public eye would have been cast upon Germany's treatment of Jews, had the USA boycotted the 1936 Olympics.

But they chose not to, despite many being for the boycott because of the way the Jews were being treated.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3337964

Instead, we would all feign surprise when we found out about the holocaust.

As they say, "the games must go on." No matter who is trampled, whether Jew or Tibetan.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #114
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
My whole objection is the justification you and Mike seem to give those who have accosted the torchbearers as legitimate forms of demonstration. I disagree and have given my rationale why. Is there some reason why legitimate and effective demonstration is so utterly impotent that only seizing the Olympic torch will produce results? If that's really the case, it is a poor reflection on the collective intelligence, or lack thereof, of the protesters.

Outside of that specific point, I haven't sided with the Chinese government or the US government and how it has responded to the wrongs of the Chinese government.

Your above response is a classic case in point why it is completely futile to ever discuss anything on this board with you. You ignore what I say and/or deliberately extrapolate it well outside the bounds of what I have said.
Because IT WORKS and nobody gets hurt. The form of protest isn't "accosting the torchbearer," it is putting out the flame. I am not advocating beating the torchbearer. Taking away the torch hurts nobody and it gets a huge amount of publicity, which is exactly what the issue needs. I keep asking you to compare the attention it has received to any previous form of peaceful demonstration for Tibet and tell me if something else has received more. I am still waiting.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 04-11-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #115
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Because IT WORKS and nobody gets hurt. The form of protest isn't "accosting the torchbearer," it is putting out the flame. I am not advocating beating the torchbearer. Taking away the torch hurts nobody and it gets a huge amount of publicity, which is exactly what the issue needs. I keep asking you to compare the attention it has received to any previous form of peaceful demonstration for Tibet and tell me if something else has received more. I am still waiting.

Hmmm. I think the protests of the torch run, and even the effrots to put the torch out with a fire extingusiher have been very effective. I don't think the efforts to steal the torch add anything even at the margin.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #116
creekster

Quote:
Imagine how the public eye would have been cast upon Germany's treatment of Jews, had the USA boycotted the 1936 Olympics.

But they chose not to, despite many being for the boycott because of the way the Jews were being treated.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3337964

Instead, we would all feign surprise when we found out about the holocaust.

As they say, "the games must go on." No matter who is trampled, whether Jew or Tibetan.

Instead, we got Jesse Owens who spit in Hitler's racial purity eye AND was a great beacon of triumph and hope to minorities in our own country. A boycott of Berlin would have highlighted Nazi treatment of jews, but it would not have stopped the holocaust, if that is what you are suggesting, and it would have punished the athletes.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #117
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Hmmm. I think the protests of the torch run, and even the effrots to put the torch out with a fire extingusiher have been very effective. I don't think the efforts to steal the torch add anything even at the margin.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. I am talking about the efforts to take the torch from the runner to extinguish the flame. One used a fire extinguisher to put the flame out, one used water, several tried grabbing it to then put out the flame. I see all those as the same thing. Why would grabbing it be less effective for publicity than using water or a fire extinguisher?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #118
Cali Coug

Quote:
Instead, we got Jesse Owens who spit in Hitler's racial purity eye AND was a great beacon of triumph and hope to minorities in our own country. A boycott of Berlin would have highlighted Nazi treatment of jews, but it would not have stopped the holocaust, if that is what you are suggesting, and it would have punished the athletes.
Precisely.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #119
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I'm not sure what you are referring to. I am talking about the efforts to take the torch from the runner to extinguish the flame. One used a fire extinguisher to put the flame out, one used water, several tried grabbing it to then put out the flame. I see all those as the same thing. Why would grabbing it be less effective for publicity than using water or a fire extinguisher?

This is a fine point, and we are really on the same page, but are you suiggesting that anything short of grabbing the torch would not have generated the publicity that we saw this week? Or, put otherwise, was it only the fact that some one tried to grab the torch (as oppsoe to dousing it with water, or blockign the route, etc.) that led to the publicity we saw?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #120
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How do you know that further awareness and scrutiny would not have prevented aspects of the holocaust?

Thanks in advance,
a mere mortal
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote