cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #111
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I didn't think Marsupial's comment suggested that she thought she was better than the prophet.
I don't think my comment suggested that I thought I was better than marsupial. So we're even.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #112
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The tendency of these discussions to degenerate into a personal conversation with Tex isn't i) interesting to most of us, ii) a complement to Tex, iii) productive intellectually, iv) productive spiritually. It distracts from the issue of the day and cheapens the discussion. It is sad really. It is the worst thing about cougarguard, IMHO.
I agree. Why can't Tex state, "well, I believe the reasons given were legitimate," "Not a lot of you will be sorry for believing what you believe"?

If a person some how believes the plural marriage is according the whitewashed version portrayed by the Church, they should be allowed to say, but to couch how Tex couches it, always brings the discussion back to Tex. He is either purposefully the most antagonistic individual or the most inartful debater we've had the pleasure of debating.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:38 PM   #113
Tex

Look, I'm genuinely sorry for derailing the discussion. I think the suggestion that "Joseph was a horndog" or that he abused his prophetic call to get sex is among the most pernicious claims a person can make about him. Thus, I responded in the strongest terms I can.

It wasn't meant necessarily as a personal attack on marsupial, or to say that I am better than anyone ... simply that I think it is DEAD wrong, and rude to boot.

I certainly do not win the award for the rudest or most inartful debater on CG. The truth is, my views are tremendously unpopular here, and thus I take a lot of flack for it.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #114
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I agree. Why can't Tex state, "well, I believe the reasons given were legitimate," "Not a lot of you will be sorry for believing what you believe"?

If a person some how believes the plural marriage is according the whitewashed version portrayed by the Church, they should be allowed to say, but to couch how Tex couches it, always brings the discussion back to Tex. He is either purposefully the most antagonistic individual or the most inartful debater we've had the pleasure of debating.
I like having Tex here. I think he represents a contingency on CB that won't come over here. Therefor I use him as a proxy for talking to them.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #115
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I like having Tex here. I think he represents a contingency on CB that won't come over here. Therefor I use him as a proxy for talking to them.
I'll echo that.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #116
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Look, I'm genuinely sorry for derailing the discussion. I think the suggestion that "Joseph was a horndog" or that he abused his prophetic call to get sex is among the most pernicious claims a person can make about him. Thus, I responded in the strongest terms I can.

It wasn't meant necessarily as a personal attack on marsupial, or to say that I am better than anyone ... simply that I think it is DEAD wrong, and rude to boot.

I certainly do not win the award for the rudest or most inartful debater on CG. The truth is, my views are tremendously unpopular here, and thus I take a lot of flack for it.
Hang in there Tex. I like you being here. I like calling people "dicks". Most of these guys I can only do it once in a while, you provide a few more opportunities. Stick around and don't let anyone chase you off.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #117
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Hang in there Tex. I like you being here. I like calling people "dicks". Most of these guys I can only do it once in a while, you provide a few more opportunities. Stick around and don't let anyone chase you off.
I'd wager I have a thicker skin that most of you.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #118
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The tendency of these discussions to degenerate into a personal conversation with Tex isn't i) interesting to most of us, ii) a complement to Tex, iii) productive intellectually, iv) productive spiritually. It distracts from the issue of the day and cheapens the discussion. It is sad really. It is the worst thing about cougarguard, IMHO.
You know Tex really symbolizes an interesting cultural aspect to the LDS Church. Here in this little corner of the cyberworld a small group of educted and intelligent BYU fans/mormons/former mormons meet to discuss some subjects of mutual interest. They met on Jefe's sight due to their mutual love of BYU sports. Like most communities the other interests eventually became public. Jefe, a young man very well trained in LDS thought and practice, instantly became uncomfortable with the discussions initiated and nurtured by many on this venue. For whatever reason he symbolizes that wing of the LDS Church that doesn't want anything that could be embarassing to the LDS Church to be public, even if it is true. Hence, the unwanted minority eventually established their own cyber community to discuss these issues that are important to them. Jefe, as a decent chap, continues on his "all is well in Zion" ways but leaves the questioning fringe folks alone. He is pretty close to live and let live, so he has his space and affords you folks yours. However, Tex, one who is what I might call in a mean spirited moment "an asshole," feels compelled to come here and ensure you know when you cross the line, how frequently you cross the line and by how much you have crossed the line. He is the home teacher who goes to your back sliding door when you, as the inactive, won't open the front door. He does this not because he is neither a nosy son of a bitch nor an asshole, but because his commission is to love you and show you the way. He knows the way by the way, just ask him.

Indy on the other hand is more along the Jefe lines. He is fairly reasonable and stands his ground, but he doesn't love you like Tex does. He doesn't climb the fence into your backyard and pound on the sliding glass door. I actually like Indy as he occasionally adds something about sports as well. I am not sure Tex has offered a sports post once, I know I am closedminded but that might mean he is either a chick or a pussy or both.

More Indy's might get annoying, but I like having one around. Tex symbolizes an aspect of the Mormon Church that I genuinely could just do without.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #119
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'd wager I have a thicker skin that most of you.
That is because you are obviously more naive than most of us.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #120
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
You know Tex really symbolizes an interesting cultural aspect to the LDS Church. Here in this little corner of the cyberworld a small group of educted and intelligent BYU fans/mormons/former mormons meet to discuss some subjects of mutual interest. They met on Jefe's sight due to their mutual love of BYU sports. Like most communities the other interests eventually became public. Jefe, a young man very well trained in LDS thought and practice, instantly became uncomfortable with the discussions initiated and nurtured by many on this venue. For whatever reason he symbolizes that wing of the LDS Church that doesn't want anything that could be embarassing to the LDS Church to be public, even if it is true. Hence, the unwanted minority eventually established their own cyber community to discuss these issues that are important to them. Jefe, as a decent chap, continues on his "all is well in Zion" ways but leaves the questioning fringe folks alone. He is pretty close to live and let live, so he has his space and affords you folks yours. However, Tex, one who is what I might call in a mean spirited moment "an asshole," feels compelled to come here and ensure you know when you cross the line, how frequently you cross the line and by how much you have crossed the line. He is the home teacher who goes to your back sliding door when you, as the inactive, won't open the front door. He does this not because he is neither a nosy son of a bitch nor an asshole, but because his commission is to love you and show you the way. He knows the way by the way, just ask him.

Indy on the other hand is more along the Jefe lines. He is fairly reasonable and stands his ground, but he doesn't love you like Tex does. He doesn't climb the fence into your backyard and pound on the sliding glass door. I actually like Indy as he occasionally adds something about sports as well. I am not sure Tex has offered a sports post once, I know I am closedminded but that might mean he is either a chick or a pussy or both.

More Indy's might get annoying, but I like having one around. Tex symbolizes an aspect of the Mormon Church that I genuinely could just do without.
How about Lingo, he is Tex withouth the IQ.