cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #101
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Actually you missed the point of his previous post about how "his Wife and Bishop know where he stands"

When someone like this hangs around the church it is usually not for "promoting" the faith, in most cases they are there just to antagonize and bring doubt to others who might truly wish to be there.

People who once had belief and now feel compelled to "enlighten" others as to how they no longer believe are better off left out of the tent.

I once was one of them, I have first hand experience.

In my previous post I am merely calling the dude out that it's not that big of a deal to just walk out the door if you no longer believe, that the ward that he is in could probably do without a festering sore in their midst and to continue promoting something you calim you no longer hold true, is well........ Kinda sad if you ask me
Translation: "I was a dickhead when I went through that phase, so I automatically assume everyone else in that position is a dickhead, too."

Kinda sad, indeed.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #102
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Actually you missed the point of his previous post about how "his Wife and Bishop know where he stands"

When someone like this hangs around the church it is usually not for "promoting" the faith, in most cases they are there just to antagonize and bring doubt to others who might truly wish to be there.

People who once had belief and now feel compelled to "enlighten" others as to how they no longer believe are better off left out of the tent.

I once was one of them, I have first hand experience.

In my previous post I am merely calling the dude out that it's not that big of a deal to just walk out the door if you no longer believe, that the ward that he is in could probably do without a festering sore in their midst and to continue promoting something you calim you no longer hold true, is well........ Kinda sad if you ask me
You're assuming that he's a "festering sore". Perhaps his real intention is to be supportive of his family.

I don't like carrots that are cooked or steamed, but I eat them because they're beneficial for the body and my kids need the nutrients from them. They don't know that I don't like them, but that isn't the point.

Not a great analogy, I know, but the point is that as parents, our job is to set examples for our children to do things that we don't necessarily want to do, but from which the kids will benefit.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #103
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He can choose to do whatever he wants to do. Why do you care what he does?

My point is that he might have an easier time of things if he can choose to believe in Mormonism at least on a purely philosophical level. This would reassure his bishop and wife that he has a "testimony" of something. I'm a big believer in the glass half full approach in these situations.

People like you are the reason why it's better not to publicly divulge one's doubts in the LDS Church.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #104
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I was with you, SU, up until the last sentence. I don't think Mormonism does that to people. It certainly hasn't done it to me. If you replace "Mormonism" with Fundamentalism, your perspective becomes much easier to assert.

This is one of your better posts, I think.
I think your definition of "Fundamentalism" would swallow the mainstream. We have a definition of fundamentalsim applied to Mormonism that's universally accepted. See FLDS.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #105
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
He can choose to do whatever he wants to do. Why do you care what he does?

My point is that he might have an easier time of things if he can choose to believe in Mormonism at least on a purely philosophical level. This would reassure his bishop and wife that he has a "testimony" of something. I'm a big believer in the glass half full approach in these situations.

People like you are the reason why it's better not to publicly divulge one's doubts in the LDS Church.
Frankly to be honest I could give a Shit less what he in real life does, I was merely responding to a chat room conversation, big deal.

I feel about it the same way I do about how I hate to swim and my kids love to swim; I take them to the pool and let them swim but I wouldn't get in the water unless they were drowning.

Wow, how fricking hard is that, you take the kids to church, drop them off, let them participate if you wish, but at the same time YOU aren't being a hypocrite to yourself and the way you supposedly feel??

I guess for me I just find it hard to live a double life, proclaim it is false, yet participate for some who knows why reason??
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #106
T Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You're assuming that he's a "festering sore". Perhaps his real intention is to be supportive of his family.

I don't like carrots that are cooked or steamed, but I eat them because they're beneficial for the body and my kids need the nutrients from them. They don't know that I don't like them, but that isn't the point.

Not a great analogy, I know, but the point is that as parents, our job is to set examples for our children to do things that we don't necessarily want to do, but from which the kids will benefit.
Anytime someone who has "left" the Church takes the time to put the old " I was an AP on my mission, I was married in the temple, I was at BYU", blah, blah, blah, you know the next thing coming is how they have since been enlightened and are just itching to pull the trigger to let everyone around them know how smart and enlightened they have become.

As stated above I could care less what the hell he ends up doing, the guy is just confused, pissed, whatever, and is wanting to pull that trigger so bad it just kills him. He wants everyone to know how smart and enlightened he is and it shows with the whole "my wife and Bishop know how I feel" IOW, look at me and how smart and enlightened I've become, here let me show you the things I've found that made me like this, and then maybe you will see how smart and enlightened you can become.

All I'm saying is that it's not that big a deal to just walk away, leave the building if that's how you truly feel.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #107
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Frankly to be honest I could give a Shit less what he in real life does, I was merely responding to a chat room conversation, big deal.

I feel about it the same way I do about how I hate to swim and my kids love to swim; I take them to the pool and let them swim but I wouldn't get in the water unless they were drowning.

Wow, how fricking hard is that, you take the kids to church, drop them off, let them participate if you wish, but at the same time YOU aren't being a hypocrite to yourself and the way you supposedly feel??

I guess for me I just find it hard to live a double life, proclaim it is false, yet participate for some who knows why reason??
Whose duplicate account did we decide T Blue is?
Old 05-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #108
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

My list:

1. the authenticity of the Book of Mormon, if it's authentic, than the Church is true if it isn't than Joseph Smith made it all up

2. Polygamy ( Did Joseph really marry other mens wives?)

3. Mountain Meadows Massacre, I have a hard time believing a church of God would get the go ahead to murder 120 innocent men, women and children. There were a lot more involved than John D Lee , I believe. Justice has not been met.

4. Blacks being denied the priesthood.

5. Changing of temple ordinances and multiple editions of the BOM

5. the disproportionate amount of GA's from Utah.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #109
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Anytime someone who has "left" the Church takes the time to put the old " I was an AP on my mission, I was married in the temple, I was at BYU", blah, blah, blah, you know the next thing coming is how they have since been enlightened and are just itching to pull the trigger to let everyone around them know how smart and enlightened they have become.

As stated above I could care less what the hell he ends up doing, the guy is just confused, pissed, whatever, and is wanting to pull that trigger so bad it just kills him. He wants everyone to know how smart and enlightened he is and it shows with the whole "my wife and Bishop know how I feel" IOW, look at me and how smart and enlightened I've become, here let me show you the things I've found that made me like this, and then maybe you will see how smart and enlightened you can become.

All I'm saying is that it's not that big a deal to just walk away, leave the building if that's how you truly feel.
T Blue, does someone have to be a believer to benefit from attending LDS Church services? What about what it means to his wife that he's supporting her and their kids, not making her do it alone?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #110
T Blue

I guess you are right, it's just me thinking about how when I split, I split.

I didn't continue going to church for my wife, I didn't do it for my kids, I just left and never looked back for quite some time

Well, you da man El Paso, you da man, you are able to do it even though you believe it false; not quite sure that is good, but you da man.

Last edited by T Blue; 05-10-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: my own mistake