cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is being gay a choice?
Yes 5 13.89%
No 24 66.67%
Undecided 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #101
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I categorically reject the premise that sexuality is either/or.

We have bestiality, homosexuality, heterosexuality, bi-sexuality. Sexuality is not binary.

What contributes to those orientations are beyond my understanding. Here's why say this.

For some stupid reason unbenownst to me, I hadn't always pieced together that gay people can perform sexually heterosexually. Whereas, I am hundred percent confident I could only perform in a heterosexual relationship.

There are some people who only feel as long as there's a hole, they're game.

I've also discussed with some people the fact that they feel kinda gay, but also kinda straight. So your proposition is false.

Environment, including genes, birth pattern, upbringing and cultural adaption play a role. You are forcing a round peg into a square hole.

You're not either gay or straight. Now perhaps some straights such as myself are completely straight, and some gays are like alcohol mostly gay, but that denies the three dimensional reality surrounding sexuality.

It is a false question. Frame the question more intelligently so that I could answer it.

If you want to know what factors predominate in the orientation of a person's sexuality, I'd say those environmental factors play a significant role, but when you speak in terms of causality, I believe you're jumping the gun and acting childish.
You're dodging. Alfred Kinsey would agree with you. Still, this is all irrelevant for reasons I've already explained. Environment vs. choice is a red herring. Okay, there's a sexual preference spectrum. Wherever folks lie on the sexual preference spectrum, is it a choice? Answer the question, old man.

FWIW, here's an anecdote for you. I've never been sexually attracted to a man, in the least. But I know that's just my own experience and my point doesn't depend on the straw man you are trying to refute anyway.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #102
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
THen quit trolling for anger. The whole problem I had with the poll to begin with was that it was too simple to account for the complexity of the issue and that it was formulated to make a point rather than to seek information.
Is there another kind of poll? Can we get a temporary poll moratorium?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #103
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Um...no it doesn't.

It does, however, suggest that innate sexuality is complex and not binary, probably representing much more of a spectrum than two endpoints (an argument I think you're making other places in this discussion).
I'm just exploring through mental voyages and discussions I've had with very experimental people.

I agree it's a complex subject, but I'm not even certain we've adequately defined "sexuality".

But I believe you can overcome your inate tendencies, and warp them in many unusual directions, i.e., bestiality, pedophilia, et al.

If we knew how to define it, we might some aspects of sexuality are learned.

Do you learn how to turn on a mate?

Do you learn what makes you more excited or not?

Is it sexuality to do the laundry and wash before you seduce your mate?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #104
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
This point would suggest that sexuality, i.e., confining it to one sex or the other, is a learned trait. It would not surprise if this were true for a lot of persons.
Irrelevant.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #105
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This is an event! Tex crying uncle, crying "no mas!" No way Roberto, the ref and even security are going to have to pull me off of your bloody pulp of a face.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #106
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I would rather it be permanent. Agree that most polls are to make a point either directly or indirectly, but SU's purpose, as I think is borne out by his posts in this thread, is solely to disparage a position with which he disagrees.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #107
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Maybe. But I think it is a straw man here, for many of the reasons SU points out, it would be unlikely that a person choosing to be gay would admit it to himself or others. OTOH, there are anecdotes put forth in other threads but apparently you don't find those to be good enough as you attempt to impeach them.
Bingo.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #108
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This is an event! Tex crying uncle, crying "no mas!" No way Roberto, the ref and even security are going to have to pull me off of your bloody pulp of a face.
Huh?

Gimme some of what Mike and SU are drinking this morning. I haven't seen this much babbling since the last Allen Iverson press conference.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #109
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Irrelevant.
No it's not.

(Gee, following your lead, this type of argument is really easy)
Old 02-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #110
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You're dodging. Alfred Kinsey would agree with you. Still, this is all irrelevant for reasons I've already explained. Environment vs. choice is a red herring. Okay, there's a sexual preference spectrum. Wherever folks lie on the sexual preference spectrum, is it a choice? Answer the question, old man.

FWIW, here's an anecdote for you. I've never been sexually attracted to a man, in the least. But I know that's just my own experience and my point doesn't depend on the straw man you are trying to refute anyway.
Coming from a much older man, the insult doesn't sting, especially since my hair is still brown.

However, I suspect the predominance of facts affecting preference to be non-volitional, with this caveat. As much as I can remember, my own sexual preferences were heterosexual. But did I choose that based on environmental conditioning?

I remember the normal reactions boys receive when they think about or see an undressed gal. You discuss with your buddies and they all brag. So it's socially re-inforced. One likes that and pursues the path and process. Was that a choice in following social conditioning? Is reacting in a socially acceptable manner to socially accepted conventions a choice or volitional?