cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #91
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
So tell me Levin, are you and your wife both working with kids, or do you come from a family of working parents?
Slow down, NorCal!! Can't get to all your posts. Are your fingers burning?

My wife is a product of working parents; my mom stayed home with me. My wife stays home with our kids and I work outside the home.

What does this have to do with anything?
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #92
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
You're hilarious; love the passion.

Anyways, your too binary. See the gray. Some people who wish to work and be parents are not SELFISH (is it better when we put it in caps?). See the great diversity of people and situations.
Ah yes, another great liberal buzzword..."diversity."

They're not selfish? LMAO. How's that? Of course they are. They won't postpone their careers for a few years in order to raise THEIR children. How is that not selfish?

Since you can't figure it out, the caps is for emphasis, genius.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #93
Levin

Quote:
That's right, that's what I say.

1. LMAO. Everyone that needs to be brought into this world will be, regardless of how many selfish couples decide not to have kids.

2. I NEVER said it's impossible for good kids to be raised in a family of two working parents. However, let's set the record straight. The parents aren't the ones that will be raising the kids, as you suggest. The primary care giver and "raiser" will be whoever is with the kids while the parents are at work.

3. Because this type of couple wants to have their cake and eat it too. Having kids is serious business. It's not just a hobby you do on the weekends, while someone else does the serious lifting during the daytime, while you are at work climbing the corporate ladder.

Parents who work are still raising their kids. Do you cease raising your kids once they reach school age and are out of your sight for 8 hours of the day? Didn't think so. And I think you do a great job in the time when you do have them, when school, church, sports don't, right?

Holy crap, you're punitive and judgmental. Because a couple wants to have their cake and eat it too, you wish to deny them the cake? What you're really saying is, b/c of their unrighteous desires to work, they are not worthy of having kids. Please tell me you are not in a leadership position in your ward. Please!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #94
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Slow down, NorCal!! Can't get to all your posts. Are your fingers burning?

My wife is a product of working parents; my mom stayed home with me. My wife stays home with our kids and I work outside the home.

What does this have to do with anything?
Uh huh...I knew there had to be a connection to working parents somewhere.
You don't know what this has to do with anything? You don't think our own family, or spouse's situations could influence our opinions on this matter?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #95
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Uh huh...I knew there had to be a connection to working parents somewhere.
You don't know what this has to do with anything? You don't think our own family, or spouse's situations could influence our opinions on this matter?

Wow! You are so right! I had never thought of that before! SO he MUST be wrong, right?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #96
Levin

Quote:
This is complete BS, and just means the person is too SELFISH to put their career aside, even for just a few years until the kids are in school.

One of the most fundamental purposes of our freaking existence on earth is to raise children in the gospel. No person with this priority straight in their head is going to go psycho because they stay at home with their kids for a few years.
Some parameter setting: You're wrong to assume that the time at home will only be a "few years." The parents would likely desire several children; that's at least 9 years at home before all are in kindergarten. That's a large chunk of a career, and probably the most important chunk. So your assumption that they can just wait a few years, and then jump right back in is false. (1) hard to jump back in, and (2) several kids = several years.

We're not even touching those families where both parents have to work to support the family. But I'm not going there; we've kept it mostly at the discretionary level, and I'll keep it there.

Anyways, agree with the general principles espoused by the Church; believe that it's God's plan generally, but not in every situation. Even Sister Beck agrees with me on that one: it's a decision between a woman and God in that woman's unique circumstances.

Last edited by Levin; 03-05-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #97
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Parents who work are still raising their kids. Do you cease raising your kids once they reach school age and are out of your sight for 8 hours of the day? Didn't think so. And I think you do a great job in the time when you do have them, when school, church, sports don't, right?

Holy crap, you're punitive and judgmental. Because a couple wants to have their cake and eat it too, you wish to deny them the cake? What you're really saying is, b/c of their unrighteous desires to work, they are not worthy of having kids. Please tell me you are not in a leadership position in your ward. Please!
They're part-time parents really. You don't think the person that spends 40 hours a week of waking hours with the kids is raising them?

Once kids are school age, they're out of the house for 6 hours a day anyway. So the working parents are not missing much at home time with them anyway.

In our case, my wife's profession will be such that she can schedule her hours as she chooses, and can be gone from the house only during school hours, if she wants.

They can have their cake, after they take care of priority ONE, which is raising THEIR kids. What's so hard about this to grasp for you?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #98
Levin

NorCal, I'm serious; what's your calling in your ward?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #99
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
NorCal, I'm serious; what's your calling in your ward?
He's the ward Nazi.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #100
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Wow! You are so right! I had never thought of that before! SO he MUST be wrong, right?
Grow a brain before your next post, please.
Of course I'm right. I don't need you to tell me that. Doesn't mean he's right or wrong.