cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #91
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
USC recruits 20 top 200 recruits a year and sends 5 a year to NFL.

BYU recruits two top 200 recruits a year and sends 2.2 a year to NFL.

That's not going to overwhelm as a recruit in the #150 range.
USC had a remarkable 11 players drafted in 2006. Who knows how many others went to camps as free agents.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #92
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
You made a blanket generalization, claiming that SC screams "ghetto" to you. I made a list of reasons why SC is not "ghetto."

Of course, all of this was before you admitted to racism. Now that you have copped to that, then I agree with you...SC is littered with people whom you call "human debris."

What exactly is your personal experience that would lead you to make such blanket statements? Were you attacked?
I've only had one experience at USC and that was the BYU game there 5 years ago or so. I'll say right now that the experience I saw at UCLA impressed me more. There were more fans there early and there was a lot more tailgating going on. I'm not comparing programs, but rather gameday experience.

My experience was fine at the Coliseum. The stadium however, is a total dump. I was impressed with the number of fans out tailgating early. The only Mormon remark I got all day long was..."Where's your 10-Speed?" Which I found funny. The group of students who said that actually called us over, so my brother and I went over and shot the bull with them for a few minutes. They were very nice to us and offered us spirits and food.

We got there very early and walked across the street to the convenience store there and that was the only time we had anything said to us that could be remotely construed as a threat. The cashier told us not to walk into a neighborhood there in any direction and we'd be safe and that the people there wouldn't take kindly to "2 white boys wearing BYU gear".

The neighborhood is a dump. The stadium is a dump. But I had a good time. The USC fans we sat next to were also cordial.

I've been to USC, UCLA, Arizona, and Notre Dame in the past 5 years or so and was treated well at all of those places. I've read and heard of those who had very different experiences than mine...especially at USC and Arizona where they were treated poorly. I'm just saying that wasn't my experience.

The other opposing football stadiums I've been in are UNLV and Utah and the worst I've been treated in any of the stadiums I've been in, is by far at RES, but I believe that's a product of the rivalry so that's never really bothered me.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #93
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hey, how old is Joe McKnight? ever heard of him? What about Reggie Bush? did he start before his Senior year?
This would support Jay's' point. Slow down and follow him. If you are not the absolute cream of the crop, and Jay is assuming that Kaveinga is not the cream of USC's crop, then the fact that you are not the cream lessens your chances to play. Further, if you are not the cream this year there is likely to be more cream ahead of you next year and since Carroll is not averse to putting cream on the field from day 1 the liklihood you will ever touch the field is not real high.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #94
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
This would support Jay's' point. Slow down and follow him. If you are not the absolute cream of the crop, and Jay is assuming that Kaveinga is not the cream of USC's crop, then the fact that you are not the cream lessens your chances to play. Further, if you are not the cream this year there is likely to be more cream ahead of you next year and since Carroll is not averse to putting cream on the field from day 1 the liklihood you will ever touch the field is not real high.
Well then Jay is contradicting himself by saying you wont get a chance to start until you are essentially an upper classman at SC.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #95
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
SC wants Kaveinga. Check out the hype he is getting on the boards. The fans are excited about him. He is a local kid. The notion that SC views him as the bottom half of their class is inaccurate. They want him. And he will play.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #96
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Well then Jay is contradicting himself by saying you wont get a chance to start until you are essentially an upper classman at SC.

I said that before they threw out the McKnight example, which like Goat says makes my point not takes away from it.

I was using an assumption that an experienced lesser talented guy would get a shot to start his senior year but if coach likes to play young guys that show talent, it voids that assumption.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #97
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I've only had one experience at USC and that was the BYU game there 5 years ago or so. I'll say right now that the experience I saw at UCLA impressed me more. There were more fans there early and there was a lot more tailgating going on. I'm not comparing programs, but rather gameday experience.

My experience was fine at the Coliseum. The stadium however, is a total dump. I was impressed with the number of fans out tailgating early. The only Mormon remark I got all day long was..."Where's your 10-Speed?" Which I found funny. The group of students who said that actually called us over, so my brother and I went over and shot the bull with them for a few minutes. They were very nice to us and offered us spirits and food.

We got there very early and walked across the street to the convenience store there and that was the only time we had anything said to us that could be remotely construed as a threat. The cashier told us not to walk into a neighborhood there in any direction and we'd be safe and that the people there wouldn't take kindly to "2 white boys wearing BYU gear".

The neighborhood is a dump. The stadium is a dump. But I had a good time. The USC fans we sat next to were also cordial.

I've been to USC, UCLA, Arizona, and Notre Dame in the past 5 years or so and was treated well at all of those places. I've read and heard of those who had very different experiences than mine...especially at USC and Arizona where they were treated poorly. I'm just saying that wasn't my experience.

The other opposing football stadiums I've been in are UNLV and Utah and the worst I've been treated in any of the stadiums I've been in, is by far at RES, but I believe that's a product of the rivalry so that's never really bothered me.
This is something altogether different. Comparing GameDay experiences is, as you stated, a matter of preference. I dont disagree with your observations at all. Perfectly fair. Also, nobody is going to argue that the Coliseum is new and fresh. I like the history of it, but it is a way old venue. Even SC knows that, which is one of the main sticking points in the lease dispute right now with the Coliseum.

None of those things support a claim of thuggery, hooliganism, gangsterism, etc...amongst the team, though. Nor does it support the over the top nature of BDB's "human debris" observation. BDB did clarify that she was, in part, racist, so that helps put her observations into a clearer context.

Your experience at the SC game sounds like the same one most people have at away games anywhere....generally fine, you run into a few knuckleheads, you run into a few cool people. And, like most others who attend games at the Coliseum, you got to see SC win. Pity the fools that flew all the way down from Palo Alto last season and didnt get to see an SC victory....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #98
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
SC wants Kaveinga. Check out the hype he is getting on the boards. The fans are excited about him. He is a local kid. The notion that SC views him as the bottom half of their class is inaccurate. They want him. And he will play.
I don't think fan excitement dictates whether or not a kid will play. When I looked at the SC commits for LB I did notice that Kavienga was noticeably slower.

Regardless, then your issue is with Jay's assumption regarding whether or not Kaveinga is the cream of the crop and not the idea that only cream plays at USC.

Regardless, once I became aware his father prefers the Trojans I made up my mind he was USC bound.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #99
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:

IIRC, Hershel Dennis also got an opportunity to play early on. He didn't pan out, Bush arrived the next year and the rest is history.

It is a fact that Carroll plays freshmen and sophomores. You have no leg to stand on to claim that it is just the elite recruits who get those opportunities.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #100
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Yeah
You were attacked at an SC game? What happened?

Also, did the entire stadium of fans attack you, did any football players attack you, or did a few drunk fans hurl insults and food your way?