cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Major league scouts are right most of the time

A few quotes from scouts about Barry Bonds:

18. "Was temporarily thrown off ballclub for sulking. Has demonstrated a tremendous lack of desire. Is obviously only interested in how he's doing. Is no longer a prospect in my book. He'd be more trouble than he's worth."

29. "Lean build ... Seems born to play this game ... Off-the-field habits have been a problem. Does not practice a lot nor does he hustle on the field."

17. "Has a chance to become a complete player (except arm strength) ... His attitude and approach to the game is a natural concern and has to be looked into. But his ability and potential should not be overlooked."

4. "Live bat if I ever saw one. Can drive the ball. Can also throw, run, field average when he wants to ... He can do about what he wants when the spirit moves him ... Not an easy sign[ing], and a potential pain. Undisciplined on and off the field, but so talented he can play winning ball and should mature eventually. Not a bad kid, just spoiled."

but they can also be wrong

Manny Ramirez

"cat-like in the outfield"
Old 05-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

In high school, Bonds was a skinny kid who acted like he was the man and didn't give a rat's keister about anyone other than himself. But he could hit the hell out of the ball and had all the skills necessary to be a big time player.

It's too bad that nothing has changed in the way that he is. His baseball abilities are still tremendous, but he will always be a jerk of the highest order.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
In high school, Bonds was a skinny kid who acted like he was the man and didn't give a rat's keister about anyone other than himself. But he could hit the hell out of the ball and had all the skills necessary to be a big time player.

It's too bad that nothing has changed in the way that he is. His baseball abilities are still tremendous, but he will always be a jerk of the highest order.
Il Pad, I will concede that you know infinitely more about baseball than I do; however, I would like to challenge your assertion that nothing has changed in the way that he is. It certainly looks to me like something has changed:

BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Il Pad, I will concede that you know infinitely more about baseball than I do; however, I would like to challenge your assertion that nothing has changed in the way that he is. It certainly looks to me like something has changed:

Meanie i have seen your mission picture and i have heard accounts of how you look today, you of all people should know that one can evolve and get bigger.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Meanie i have seen your mission picture and i have heard accounts of how you look today, you of all people should know that one can evolve and get bigger.
Boy howdy, don't I know it. That being said, I'm not a highly-trained professional athlete. I'm a sit-around-on-my-butt-all-day computer programmer.

Nothing may have changed about Barry's personality but something has indeed changed in his physical person. The question is did Barry change because he ate too much and sat around on his butt all day for the last 15 years or did he change for some other reason?

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 05-18-2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added the second paragraph
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Oh, don't get me wrong - I think Bonds is loaded with steroids and when he breaks the homerun record, there should be a big fat asterisk right next to it with required reading for all kids in public and private schools that Bonds is a liar, a cheater and a subhuman piece of rubbish.

That said, even when Bonds a skinny like that, he hit the ball about 430 feet. With the steroids he now hits the ball 500 feet. What the steroids did to help him was increase his durability and it allowed him to play another 5-7 seasons. This was a premeditated decision in his part to give him the chance to break the record.

I've never like Bonds. I met him on a recruiting trip to ASU and thought he was an ass then. Today, he's an even bigger jerk.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I say even the playing field and allow all steroids.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I say even the playing field and allow all steroids.
MLB may as well do that. It's policy against banned substances sure hasn't been effective.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
cougjunkie

Is it just me or do homeruns seem way down this season. We are almost 2 months in to the season and Arod leads with 15 (14 of which came in the first 20 games on the year he has 1 in his last 19 games) Then JJ Hardy is next with 13, a handful of guys with 12 and 11 (including Bonds) and if you check the stats Big Papi is top 5 in the AL with 9.

That just seems low to me.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Is it just me or do homeruns seem way down this season. We are almost 2 months in to the season and Arod leads with 15 (14 of which came in the first 20 games on the year he has 1 in his last 19 games) Then JJ Hardy is next with 13, a handful of guys with 12 and 11 (including Bonds) and if you check the stats Big Papi is top 5 in the AL with 9.

That just seems low to me.
Albert Pujols is also having a terrible year.