cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default Sealing Question for gospel scholars

My brother is dating a woman who has two kids whose husband died at a ridiculously young age. She was sealed to this man. Question is, if my brother marries this woman will their subsequent children be sealed to this woman's first husband? I say that's a bunch of bullcrap, but my wife swears it's true because that's what her parents told her.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:40 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think any children they have would be their children and sealed to them. I've never heard what your wife is telling you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
My brother is dating a woman who has two kids whose husband died at a ridiculously young age. She was sealed to this man. Question is, if my brother marries this woman will their subsequent children be sealed to this woman's first husband? I say that's a bunch of bullcrap, but my wife swears it's true because that's what her parents told her.
yep. unless she gets a cancellation. my wife's mom remarried after her husband died. the remarriage couldn't be a sealing because she was already sealed to someone, so the surprise kid they had is sealed to the dead husband.

i don't think it matters. it's not like you cant go hang out with whomever you want.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
yep. unless she gets a cancellation. my wife's mom remarried after her husband died. the remarriage couldn't be a sealing because she was already sealed to someone, so the surprise kid they had is sealed to the dead husband.

i don't think it matters. it's not like you cant go hang out with whomever you want.
I didn't know that. Of course, I've never had to deal with that situation. I just know that when my 14 year old girls gets upset that I won't allow her to dress like a street-walking vixen that she's my kid for eternity and what I say goes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 05-02-2007 at 04:53 AM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:48 AM   #5
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I totally agree with your last statement. I'm talking the technical issue of who you're sealed to. Sounds like you agree with my wife.

My dad's mother was married to a man who died. After he died she was sealed to him by proxy. Then she was remarried and had my dad. After they both died, my dad was sealed to both of them by proxy. As far as I know he was never considered "sealed" to his mother's first husband. I'll have to ask him about it though.

I know in the end it comes out in the wash, but the whole thing sounds a little confusing.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

David O. McKay took the attitude it will be figured out in the eternities. WWII brides who lost their husbands were allowed second temple sealings. In other words, we really don't have a clue.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born into the covenant, but since then, my father has been inactive for 21 years and my mother has had her name removed.

So who am I sealed to, parent-wise? Does it default back one generation, to a set of grandparents?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #8
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

My friend says it really doesn't matter, that the whole families are forever is just a great marketing plan by the church anyway. I think it all just comes down to you and your wife anyway. Your kids will have their spouses and so on and so on. And if you are sealed to an ex and married again to someone you love don't you think some how you will end up with the one you love?
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This has always been my understanding as well, and interestingly this is an issue that has come up several times with non-members. What I have always told them is that this represents our current understanding of how things will work. I then hasten to add that I believe in a kind, just, merciful and fair God and that when these things are sorted out that no one will doubt but that the most equitable and loving thing was done. With God all things are possible.