cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Global warming issue

Why are so many anti-environmentalists so emphatic and passionate about this subject, yet sound so ignorant about it when they talk?

This is the feeling I get when I read some of the threads on CB.

"We shouldn't litter."

"F U, yeah we should. Why not?"...shoving garbage in the first guy's face.

Certainly doesn't sound Christlike. When and why did LDS mainstream adopt such an aggressive attitude about this?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of it is the religious approach environmental fanatics take.

I see the same reaction if you try to start a religious conversation. One of my clients and friends just detests all aspects of religion. It bugs him to know end if a UFC fighter credits deity in any fashion. If anybody but myself mentions religion, he says F U. And he is a rabid environmentalist, anamist.

The religion of Sierra Club is so radical it rubs a number of people to the extreme.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Why are so many anti-environmentalists so emphatic and passionate about this subject, yet sound so ignorant about it when they talk?

"We shouldn't litter."

Certainly doesn't sound Christlike. When and why did LDS mainstream adopt such an aggressive attitude about this?

So Jay, do you buy the claim from "scientific consensus" that global warming is primarily driven by man-made influences?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So Jay, do you buy the claim from "scientific consensus" that global warming is primarily driven by man-made influences?
I believe the science is unclear. I believe the issue is probably important enough and the environmental science compelling enough that people should at least pay attention, or at a minimum discuss it respectfully. When I see lay men on the subject fighting to the death on CB, it really smacks of ignorace. But I suppose there is ignorance on the other side also.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

"We shouldn't litter."

This is an unfortunate situation and it is an indication of LDS people who are too willing to ignore the teachings of their religion for political reasons. Doctrine and Covenants clearly teaches that we are to be stewards over the earth. As the earth is the Lord's handiwork, we should not treat it with such indifference.

The biggest shame in the environmental debate is that there is a common ground, but it is fogged by positions strongly held for political reasons.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a big difference between individual responsibility to be good stewards of their environment and over-reaching legislation that essentially trades one environmental/social problem for another.

Furthermore, without a better fundamental understanding of the causes of and solutions to global warming, to simply act for the sake of acting isn't necessarily a positive outcome.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Because the issue is now a political one, the real issue is one of control. Who controls what?

It is nothing more than that. It has economic consequences.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

It drives me nuts. I am not saying who is right in the global warming debate...but it does bother me when people say that we should do whatever we want in regards to the environment. Sheeeesh, just take of our earth. You don't need to be an a-hole and push your agenda on other people...but you don't need to be an a-hole and act like it doesn't matter what you do to the environment.

It has become a political issue and that is silly. The idea of taking care of this earth is one that should be embraced by all, especially mormons. But both sides have made it such a political issue, and the yelling is so loud from both sides, that nobody is heard and people just keep moving along doing what they want. That is sad and silly in my mind.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote