cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #61
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
DNA? Come on, you're not a racist are you?

Did I say anything about DNA?
I didn't make any claim about any dna being better than any other DNA..Just that its possible that west african dna could be in their dna and that it could have some effect...

Yes i realize you were joking
Old 04-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #62
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No subject brings the kooks and crack pots out of the woodwork like this one. How better to show that you, grapevine and Indy are peas in a pod? You think you're so smart and enlightened go to Harvard square and preach your world view and see how long it takes before they ostracise you like a plague carrier. Solon and I and MRD are the ones who have mainstream thought on our side. Racists have always had reams of "data" and associated goof ball conclusions to support their positions.
Later when you calm down. Really think about this. I'm not in the back woods. My ideas on this are progressive and revolutionary.

Phase I: Americans believe ignorant stereotypes about races, many seem to have root in empirical data but the conclusions are blatantly malicious and incorrect

Phase II: Acknowledging that the original conclusions were malicious and/or incorrect, we shut up discussion about the empirical observations or we stretch to make politically correct conclusions that don't make logical sense. We stamp out "racists" everywhere that come back to the empirical observations, even making the observation itself racist.

Phase III: We admit that because of cultural and perspective differences and scientific inadaquacy we don't understand each other perfect and we don't understand why we're different. We're going to ignore those previous conclusions but not ignore the empirical differences. We do acknowledge and celebrate the differences. We also know that by doing so, we might regularly and unintentionally offend, but we will use those instances to improve our communication and understanding.

I'm in Phase III. A lot of racists are still in Phase I. You're in Phase II.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #63
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
On the contrary, anyone who talks about race in the mainstream is likely to get his/her book published or tenure.

Admitting you're a racist, however, is sure to bring ostracism. Justifiably so.
In fairness to Jay, with whom I often do not agree and disagreed in the linked thread, one could read what he is saying as an admission that culturally we all have racist tendencies, subconscious racist leanings and that by failing to admit these tendencies we are doomed to fall prey to them. That shouldn't get one ostracized.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #64
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
I didn't make any claim about any dna being better than any other DNA..Just that its possible that west african dna could be in their dna and that it could have some effect...

Yes i realize you were joking
Those of accusing me of racism (by their definition) in this thread are out to lunch, and should note that I never once made a claim that athletic superiority was due to DNA.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #65
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Below is a list of the 20 players with the most appearances for Brazil
Wow. Your ability to come up with soccer statistics is disconcerting. I feel like I don't even know you anymore.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #66
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sounds like a new development in Del Boca Vista. Are they building the pool in phase VII?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #67
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Wow. Your ability to come up with soccer statistics is disconcerting. I feel like I don't even know you anymore.
He also has his nails done, gets his legs waxed and consults his hairdresser for marital advice.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #68
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Wikipedia.... my friend..
Old 04-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #69
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Later when you calm down. Really think about this. I'm not in the back woods. My ideas on this are progressive and revolutionary.

Phase I: Americans believe ignorant stereotypes about races, many seem to have root in empirical data but the conclusions are blatantly malicious and incorrect

Phase II: Acknowledging that the original conclusions were malicious and/or incorrect, we shut up discussion about the empirical observations or we stretch to make politically correct conclusions that don't make logical sense. We stamp out "racists" everywhere that come back to the empirical observations, even making the observation itself racist.

Phase III: We admit that because of cultural and perspective differences and scientific inadaquacy we don't understand each other perfect and we don't understand why we're different. We're going to ignore those previous conclusions but not ignore the empirical differences. We do acknowledge and celebrate the differences. We also know that by doing so, we might regularly and unintentionally offend, but we will use those instances to improve our communication and understanding.

People have tried for a long time to make generalizations based on supposed empiricism purportedly suggesting race-based proclivities. Needless to say, there are powerful motivations to make such cases. As we see from the Juan Williams article linked in the previous thread, this folly has not been limited to whites. So the lack of any enduring credible conclusion is not for want of trying.

Part of the problem is that the "data" is a moving target, precisely because environmental including cultural influences are of such overwhelming importance. In the first century the Roman scholar Tacitus visited the Northern European tribes and recorded some famous impressions. While observing that they seemed somewhat dim witted and incapable of literacy, and prone to alcoholism and sloth, he marveled at their "race" for its brawn, fearlessness in battle, hunting prowess, hardiness, and the strength of character of their women, who ruled the roost.

"Guns Germs and Steel" is probably the best book ever written for a popular audience on this subject, in my opinion. Jared Diamond discusses Northern Europeans' cultural backwardness and reputation for physical prowess during most of recorded history and then brilliantly develops the (changing) environmental factors that explain differences among peoples.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 04-05-2007 at 06:25 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #70
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
People have tried for a long time to make generalizations based on supposed empiricism purportedly suggesting race-based proclivities. Needless to say, there are powerful motivations to make such cases. As we see from the Juan Williams article linked in the previous thread, this folly has not been limited to whites. So the lack of any enduring credible conclusion is not for want of trying.

Part of the problem is that the "data" is a moving target, precisely because environmental including cultural influences are of such overwhelming importance. In the first century the Roman scholar Tacitus visited the Northern European tribes and recorded some famous impressions. While observing that they seemed somewhat dim witted and incapable of literacy, and prone to alcoholism and sloth, he marveled at their "race" for its brawn, fearlessness in battle, hunting prowess, hardiness, and the strength of character of their women, who ruled the roost.

"Guns Germs and Steel" is probably the best book ever written for a popular audience on this subject, in my opinion. Jared Diamond discusses Northern Europeans' cultural backwardness and reputation for physical prowess during most of recorded history and then brilliantly develops the (changing) environmental factors that explain differences among peoples.
You're still arguing with me as if I'm in Phase I of my descriptions from earlier. I'm not nor have I ever made any conclusions based on race from my empirical observations.

I fully understand the moving target concept, and that is yet another reason I'm not prone to make conclusions.

But to ignore the empirical data just out of fear, and to cry "racism" at anyone who does is whimpy.

What I don't get is why you're dodging all my challenges for you to point out where I state something racist (by your definition), but continuing to crack on me as though I have.