cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #81
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
What incited this argument is the tawdry spectale of some here blaming these negative poll numbers for Mormons on a Jewish conspiracy. I'm trying to help, enlighten, educate.

Surely you caught the irony in my Saturday's Warrior thread.
Who blamed numbers on a Jewish conspiracy? Surely you are not saying that I or IlPad did?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 AM   #82
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
What incited this argument is the tawdry spectale of some here blaming these negative poll numbers for Mormons on a Jewish conspiracy. I'm trying to help, enlighten, educate.

Surely you caught the irony in my Saturday's Warrior thread.
Sure, I caught the irony. I also caught the ease with which you will make one argument, and almost immediately use its counterargument to suit whatever point you feel the need to make. "Jewish conspiracy" is a new one, though.

I still want to hear why having a certain number of accomplishments exempts a people from discrimination to which others are (and apparently by right ought to be) subject, and how far away Mormons are from that level.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #83
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Sure, I caught the irony. I also caught the ease with which you will make one argument, and almost immediately use its counterargument to suit whatever point you feel the need to make. "Jewish conspiracy" is a new one, though.

I still want to hear why having a certain number of accomplishments exempts a people from discrimination to which others are (and apparently by right ought to be) subject, and how far away Mormons are from that level.
I've been consistent re Saturday's Warrior.

Jewish conspiracy, the Jews have cracked the system and are the puppeteers and we need to figure out how to do it, the Jews are judged differently than us because they control the media--all this means the same thing and has been said for thousands of years with tragic consequences and I was hearing echos of it in this thread.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 03-06-2007 at 02:57 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #84
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Here are some fun facts to help enlighten you.

http://www.churchhopping.com/gods-chosen-people/

If you need more understanding of Jews, turn your television to either TBS or your local Fox affiliate any time after 9:00 p.m. to see how a young, single, Jewish man in NYC lives.
I see zero out-right conference championships, zero national championships, no mention of Heismans, Naismiths, MVPs, etc.

How can they can brag to be God's chosen people, even if they have Shawn Green, is beyond me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #85
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I've been consistent re Saturday's Warrior.

Jewish conspiracy, the Jews have cracked the system and are the puppeteers and we need to figure out how to do it, the Jews are judged differently than us because they control the media--all this means the same thing and has been said for thousands of years with tragic consequences and I was hearing echos of it in this thread.
Look, SU, I like you. But I think you are off base here. The argument you are giving above is essentially the opposite of what you argued on the last page. Last page, you were arguing that Mormons and Jews SHOULD be judged differently (because their levels of accomplishment are not the same). That opens a pandoras box that I don't think you want to mess with. Here, you are saying that Jews should not be judged differently because "they control the media" (one of the accomplishments you had just noted set them apart).

Jews have been persecuted far more than Mormons. I get it. Their history is tragic, though it is also one that has served as the foundation for many of my beliefs. I realize that. But your argument of viewing them differently (read "superior" in the context of your argument) is exactly the basis of every argument utilized against the Jews.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #86
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I see zero out-right conference championships, zero national championships, no mention of Heismans, Naismiths, MVPs, etc.

How can they can brag to be God's chosen people, even if they have Shawn Green, is beyond me.
That made me laugh.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #87
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Very funny, although they do have quite an impressive cast of sportsmen as well. This list includes: Red Auerbach, Sandy Koufax, Jeremy Bloom, Lyle Alzado, Marv Levy, Sid Gillman, Harris Barton, and Sasha Cohen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_sportspeople
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #88
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the fact that you had to include a female figure skater says it all.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #89
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the fact that you had to include a female figure skater says it all.
Mormon's have to include Shawn Bradley.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #90
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Mormon's have to include Shawn Bradley.
No we don't. Or at least I don't.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"