cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #41
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I think it is probably true that the newest record did not do as well, but as I've said I think that at least partly is it because it is not as good as the others.

I have no doubt that they have made less to the extent that they are not making as much as they might have. On the other hand, as has been pointed out, they are actually one of the biggest acts of all time and at the point the controversy began already each had more money than most of us can easily conceive of. Point being that their wealth has been part of what has allowed them to take the stand that they have. I think that if they were just starting out they would have been more careful or stuck with the apology rather than remaining defiant.

In any case, whatever happens, they can each go home at the end of the day and dive into a swimming pool filled with C notes to console themselves if they want.
Well said.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #42
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think it is probably true that the newest record did not do as well, but as I've said I think that at least partly is it because it is not as good as the others.

I have no doubt that they have made less to the extent that they are not making as much as they might have. On the other hand, as has been pointed out, they are actually one of the biggest acts of all time and at the point the controversy began already each had more money than most of us can easily conceive of. Point being that their wealth has been part of what has allowed them to take the stand that they have. I think that if they were just starting out they would have been more careful or stuck with the apology rather than remaining defiant.

In any case, whatever happens, they can each go home at the end of the day and dive into a swimming pool filled with C notes to console themselves if they want.
This all may be true, but at least this little anecdote can console us all:

Lady Astor: "Mr. Churchill, you're drunk!"
Winston Churchill: "Yes, and you, Madam, are ugly. But tomorrow, I
shall be sober."

Fat and chunky still the same.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #43
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm not a musician or in the music business, but I'd guess that if a band has to reinvent itself, perhaps it's because the product is bad.
This is an interesting tangent, actually. There are certainly many examples of bands with incredible longevity who have never reinvented themselves. Aerosmith and U2 are the best examples, their sounds have changed remarkably little. Bon Jovi and The Goo Goo Dolls also come to mind.

On the other hand, the Beatles reinvented themselves repeatedly and over a fairly short span of time.

I think that the reality for most bands is that they only get one interation. That lasts for as long as it lasts and it is over because tastes change or they run out of material. A few are able to reinvent with the times. A few others play a kind of music that is either unique or sufficiently pop/rocky that it is timeless.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #44
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
This all may be true, but at least this little anecdote can console us all:

Lady Astor: "Mr. Churchill, you're drunk!"
Winston Churchill: "Yes, and you, Madam, are ugly. But tomorrow, I
shall be sober."

Fat and chunky still the same.
Only 1 out of 3. The other two are attractive IMO:

Old 02-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #45
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Only 1 out of 3. The other two are attractive IMO:

In my best Forrest Gump; "Utaw Daaan!"
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #46
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
You paid money to see the Dixie Chicks?

Seriously, I definitely agree a gaggle of young airheads who can look cute while crooning a tune are not a good source of political insight or warfare strategy.
To clarify, I have never paid for or even seen the Dixie Chicks perform. Nor do I own any of their music.

But many of the artists I do listen to go off at times like the Chicks have done which annoys me to no end. There's nothing that warms me up to a set of music like a nice "F- Bush chant" or 10 minute speech on the evils of global warming.

But as someone pointed out artists and celebrities have been doing it for years. I just don't understand why people give creedence to what they say or how anything they say in regards to the war is newsworthy. Matt Stone and Trey Parker summed up my feelings about Hollywood and politics in Team America.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #47
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
In my best Forrest Gump; "Utaw Daaan!"
With as much money as they have, they could do much better. No thanks, if you're musicians, you'd better sing well and look great and stay out of politics.

Of course, even though I loathed Joan Baez's political commnentary, I liked her voice. So who's consistent. Back then, everybody was into ugly. The sixties, seventies and early eighties were the ugly years.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #48
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Actually one of them (the cute one IMO) is a brunette.
That's the point. Back in the early years, she had to dye her hair blonde to be one of the chicks. Now that they're all liberal and grown up, she's allowed to be a respectable brunette.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #49
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
That's the point. Back in the early years, she had to dye her hair blonde to be one of the chicks. Now that they're all liberal and grown up, she's allowed to be a respectable brunette.
None of them hold a candle to you, Babs.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:24 PM   #50
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
None of them hold a candle to you, Babs.
Never trust a woman who doesn't own a cape.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote