cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #31
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Abraham may have learned something about astronomy from the gentiles, not the other way around.
And how do you know that?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #32
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Abraham may have learned something about astronomy from the gentiles, not the other way around.
Oh contraire ... in actuality it is the gentiles who would've learned something about astronomy from Abraham and his ancestors. The proof is found in the fact we have access to his history, wilst we must continually dig for these so called enlightened other cultural histories.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #33
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Your original point was that neiother Abraham NOR ANYONE LIKE HIM had the capcity to teach naything to the Egyptians. In fact, you actually went further and claimed that no such person could even KNOW these things. In your more limited formulation, and excluding revealed scripture as I know you do, then I don't think I disagree with your statement.

As to your question, I know the greeks were great thinkers and organizers of knowledge, but I personally lack enough knowledge to agree or disagree. I gather you are getting at the point that it was the Greeks that tipped the notion of learning from something we do as aprt of our existence or to otherwise support our beliefs over to a scientific approach, or method, to knowledge. This sounds about right, but I woudl defer to sometone that had actually studied that question.

You have stirred the pot far too many times to get away with such sloppy langugae and you fo all people should know that.
Well, what you call "sloppy" I call short hand. I had assumed more sophisticated understanding of the word "science" here.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #34
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Oh contraire ... in actuality it is the gentiles who would've learned something about astronomy from Abraham and his ancestors. The proof is found in the fact we have access to his history, wilst we must continually dig for these so called enlightened other cultural histories.
And that "history" is the Book of Abraham I presume? Waters is right. Life is one big circle.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #35
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
And how do you know that?
Archeology mostly. Do you contend that the OT is a font of scientific knowledge? These highly developed near Eastern peoples you and AA have been touting are regarded as such because of the physical structures, iron, implements, etc. that they left behind.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #36
tooblue

Quote:
I can't respond to this. I don't know. But it sounds suspiciously subjective and therefore perhapes derived from one of those PC strains I was talking about.
Nothing subjective about it. A simple examination of the origins of our alphabete reveals the factual truth of my statement.

My reference material can be found at any college or university that teaches graphic design.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #37
creekster

Question

Quote:
Well, what you call "sloppy" I call short hand. I had assumed more sophisticated understanding of the word "science" here.
You are incorrigible. This isn't worth pursuing anymore. You said:

Quote:
The notion of Abraham (or someone like him) knowing science or mathematics or astronomy, what those things even were, is what's funny.
So you want us to beleive that when you said "knowing science or mathematics or astronomy" you meant knowing science as a category of knowledge subject to the scientific method, even though you included a separate science in your list? Come on. At best sloppy. At worse, misleading and wrong.

IMO, of course.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #38
tooblue

Quote:
And that "history" is the Book of Abraham I presume? Waters is right. Life is one big circle.
No. That "history" is the Muslim and Judeo Christian collective works that are our common building block of knowlege.

Such knowledge is directly attributed to Abraham. Structures are built and fade. Ideas that espouse eternal truths endure.

Last edited by tooblue; 12-01-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #39
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
No. That "history" is the Muslim and Judeo Christian collective works that are our common building block of knowlege.

Such knowledge is directly attributed to Abraham. Structures are built and fade. Ideas that espuse eternal truths endure.
No tooblue is incorrigible. Where outside the B of A, in all of this text, do we see Abraham teaching astronomy to anyone, let alone the leaders of anceint Egypt?

—Paul Auster
Old 12-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #40
creekster

Quote:
Archeology mostly. Do you contend that the OT is a font of scientific knowledge? These highly developed near Eastern peoples you and AA have been touting are regarded as such because of the physical structures, iron, implements, etc. that they left behind.
Ok. ANd? Therefore ABraham could only have received knowledge from the Egyptians? Moreover, the near esatern cultures are not 'touted' becasue of their structures, or implements, but becasue of the direct and indirect infromation we have about what they knew. Babylon knew a lot aboutastronomy. This can be proven apart from the OT or the PofGP. What could someone like Abraham know? Hard to say. Maybe he was a pre-Christ Newton who pushed the whole body of knowleege forward. Maybe he wasn't Either way noeither you nor I can accurately and with support assert what he did or did nto know or what he could nto have known by comparison to other ancients.