cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If BYU finishes 9-3 this year and ties for the MWC Championship...

I would consider it a wildly successful year, but it would fall slightly short of special. Now 9-3 with an OCC would be special.

Get pissed folks if the Y wins at BC.

Honestly, have my expectations genuinely dropped? Am I in a minority for finding a 9 win season to be wildly successful? I understand that the schedule is not overly intimidating, but it ain't a cakewalk either.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

9 wins was commonplace for a while, so I don't find it wildly successful, but them's the breaks.

I look differently.

I want meaningful OOC wins, a la Arizona, BC and a bowl game opponent. Yes I want them to do well in conference, but I'll trade in conference losses of OOC wins.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

If BYU goes 9-3, given the circumstances, I would say it's a wildly successful year, if they win 8 I think it would be a very solid year, if they win 7 before a bowl game, I think they would hit my expectations for this team.

I expected a 6-8 win season after all the games were played. I don't think an OCC is realistic considering the way this team is coached. They will lose to TCU or Utah, possibly both, and I expect them to trip up at least one more time this year in conference. I thought they would start the season 2-2 if they won against UA, now I think they will start the season 1-3.

BYU doesn't play particularly better at home so I don't consider the Tulsa game a lock.

I don't see BYU winning at Boston College.

If the Cougs get roughed up back east, struggle against Tulsa, and have difficulties against USU, this season could be over before game six.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
If BYU goes 9-3, given the circumstances, I would say it's a wildly successful year, if they win 8 I think it would be a very solid year, if they win 7 before a bowl game, I think they would hit my expectations for this team.

I expected a 6-8 win season after all the games were played. I don't think an OCC is realistic considering the way this team is coached. They will lose to TCU or Utah, possibly both, and I expect them to trip up at least one more time this year in conference. I thought they would start the season 2-2 if they won against UA, now I think they will start the season 1-3.

BYU doesn't play particularly better at home so I don't consider the Tulsa game a lock.

If the Cougs get roughed up back east, struggle against Tulsa, and have difficulties against USU, this season could be over before game six.
I think the TCU and BC games are very difficult for BYU to win. I am not particularly impressed with Utah at any level. Kyle W was lucky BYU did not show up the first half last year or Utenation would be all over his ass. Perhaps BYU will choke that one like they did last year, but I think if they choke that game it will be the only MWC game they choke. Note, I would not consider BYU losing to TCU a choke. The worst I see BYU in MWC play is 6-2.

I think BYU beats Tulsa, will beat either BC or TCU ( I think BC is more likely) and thens loses one other MWC game. 9-3 is what it is.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11

Pray tell, what is your issue with the coaching ... I am actually pleased wiht the progress of our head coach.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
Pray tell, what is your issue with the coaching ... I am actually pleased wiht the progress of our head coach.
Second year HC who doubles as a DC part-time, who has an OC, who called plays for the first time last year, are the issues, and growing pains are to be expected.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #7
tooblue

I can agree with those issues ... How Bronco has handled them to this point gives me hope. He changed his D to suit his talent. I think he will hire a DC. And I think Anae will improve.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
I wish Bronco would teach his guys to tackle. I wish he would teach them to take a proper angle. I wish he'd teach them to play assignments rather than everyone running to dive over a pile. I'd rather have a player with technique and discipline than fanatical effort. Perhaps too if they practiced with a bit more contact our offense wouldn't turn the ball over so much.

I wish Bronco would make Grimes adjust his blocking schemes. We can't run block out of the wide splits and we don't have the speed or talent to get outside the tackles.

I am not thrilled with Bronco's reassigning of the special teams to Higgins. Although a change was needed, but the result seems to be the same.

I wish Bronco would make Anae integrate some of the old Cougar offensive schemes, like moving the pocket with a rollout or the Chow naked boot and drag the TE underneath. Just not the stretch handoff. The TT Spread relies on YAC which few if any of our players are capable of.

I wish everyone would get off Bronco's ding dong. He hasn't done jack yet but put together a W-L record that Crowton could have managed or bettered.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
tooblue

Fact is I'm not on his ding dong ... he's two years in and appears to be learning. Case in point he may still be calling the D but he is no longer signaling it in -that might seem like a little thing but it's big in my book. He changed his scheme dramatically to suit his talent. His blitzing scheme was unpredictable and much more effective. They over persue but their tackling was improved -especially the secondary.

Special teams were better, the only thing that hurt us was poor personal performance -punter and holder!

The O linemen we currently have in the system were not recruited by bronco and Anae. Yet they seem to get what they need out of them when they game plan correctly. The inabilty to run is due to poor game planning and play calling!

Last edited by tooblue; 09-05-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Excelent post Surfah. I agree 100% with everything you said.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote