cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 03:47 AM   #1
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Level of class in our rivalry

I just got done watching the FSU Miami game and had to post something. This looks like a really classy rivalry. FSU-Miami has got to be one of the more intense rivalries in the nation (maybe not the most intense, but you get my point...). At the end of the game, the cameras showed a bunch of FSU and Miami players intermingled, on one knee, looked like they were saying some kind of post-game prayer together. Even the fans in the stands seemed pretty classy and tame after the game - FSU and Miami fans right next to each other clapping. It just felt good watching it.

I dont know, maybe its cause I have been on the losing end of it for the last four years, but why cant our rivalry be more like this? Every year you see pics in the paper of fights in the stands, stories of people getting beer thrown on them, etc. Seems like in general immaturity reigns over sportsmanship in the Holy War rivalry for both players and fans.

Thoughts?
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

The Utah/BYU rivalry is unique in that religion plays so much a part in it. It really does bring out the worst in the two sides, especially at the extremes.

To be honest, the players and coaches are much closer to what you saw in the FSU/Miami game. The fans are the ones who take it much too seriously.

That said, I agree that it would be nice to see more civility in the rivalry, especially after the game is over. Nobody really should be that affected by a game. But, alas, such is human nature.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:05 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

We have to start defeating Utah again before they can respect us. Respect will raise the level of decorum.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I don't know what you were seeing, Stick it. I can tell you that WA-WA St., Louisville-KY, USC-UCLA, Texas-Oklahoma, Michigan-Ohio St., all the great rivalries I've observed have mutual dislike. Fans don't sit and clap together in my experience. They must be really wusified in Florida.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with SU, these rivalries generate a lot of dislike. IPU notes that religion spices ours in a unique way.

As for FSU-Miami, I was always under the impression that FSU's biggest rival was Florida. The FSU-Miami series may take on greater importance now that both are in the ACC, but I suspect FSU and Florida retain a special dislike for each other. When I first started working in D.C. a work colleague and Florida alum took the time, quite unsolicited, to explain that FSU was the school for hicks and remedial students and that Florida attracted a much higher class and more intelligence student body. If you can recall, Cougar Board received similar explanations from UMiss folks highlighting the differences between them and MSU the week before we played MSU (the response of Bulldog fans after BYU beat them tended to confirm UMiss warnings).

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
I don't know what you were seeing, Stick it. I can tell you that WA-WA St., Louisville-KY, USC-UCLA, Texas-Oklahoma, Michigan-Ohio St., all the great rivalries I've observed have mutual dislike. Fans don't sit and clap together in my experience. They must be really wusified in Florida.
When I lived in Texas, I was amazed at the Texas-A&M rivalry. Just as passionate, if not more so that BYU-Utah. And it involves many millions more people.

And I have seen a few OSU fans wearing "Muck Fichigan" t-shirts.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Two of my best friends from on the east coast are huge college football fans. One of them is a Notre Dame alumn--he still gets to 2-3 games a year and he has some serious hatred of Michigan. He also has serious issues with USC and Ohio State.

My other bud is an A&M guy and he can't talk about Texas without throwing up in his mouth. There are some pretty intense feelings about their rivalries.

Most major rivalries are pretty brutal. As already mentioned, Utah and BYU is unique because the schools are so close to each other...athletes are often picking just between those two schools...the religion aspect is huge on both sides, etc. It makes it intense.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote