cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Attig and Warner--buying recruits on credit

Back in the Crowton days, his apologists liked to blame everything on Lavell, such as the problem of having all Orem High school WR's.

I remember saying that Crowton was doing the same stuff--that the bottom 1/3 of his recruiting classes were filled with the same kind of "filler" material that gave us Chris Hale and Rod Wilkerson. (By the way, Crowton moved Rod to WR not Lavell).

Aaron Attig and Chase Warner were two of my examples. Small town Nevada LDS kids who nobody else recruited. Guys Crowton recruited and sent on missions. Now they're both back a year off their mission and have yet to crack the two deep at safety--in possibly the worst year of safety talent I can ever remember at BYU. That's the very definition of "filler".

This also plays into one of my observations of the program.

When you recruit, you have x amount of scholarships available based on # of seniors, and missionary plus or minus. You usually are pretty tight with those scholarships, you don't want to waste any of them. This is buying a recruit with cash and you can't go over, you're careful about it.

But you also have a group of kids that you say, we'll give you scholarship but we don't have one now, you'll have to go on mission and get one when you come home. This is buying a recruit on credit because you don't pay now. This group of recruits is almost always inferior talent wise. Attig and Warner fall into this category. I would recommend we stop this process. The criteria shouldn't be any different, because in two years you're always wishing you had more scholarships.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
Back in the Crowton days, his apologists liked to blame everything on Lavell, such as the problem of having all Orem High school WR's.

I remember saying that Crowton was doing the same stuff--that the bottom 1/3 of his recruiting classes were filled with the same kind of "filler" material that gave us Chris Hale and Rod Wilkerson. (By the way, Crowton moved Rod to WR not Lavell).

Aaron Attig and Chase Warner were two of my examples. Small town Nevada LDS kids who nobody else recruited. Guys Crowton recruited and sent on missions. Now they're both back a year off their mission and have yet to crack the two deep at safety--in possibly the worst year of safety talent I can ever remember at BYU. That's the very definition of "filler".

When you recruit, you have x amount of scholarships available based on # of seniors, and missionary plus or minus. You usually are pretty tight with those scholarships, you don't want to waste any of them. This is buying a recruit with cash and you can't go over, you're careful about it.

But you also have a group of kids that you say, we'll give you scholarship but we don't have one now, you'll have to go on mission and get one when you come home. This is buying a recruit on credit because you don't pay now. This group of recruits is almost always inferior talent wise. Attig and Warner fall into this category. I would recommend we stop this process. The criteria shouldn't be any different, because in two years you're always wishing you had more scholarships.
If I remember some articles, BYU has historically hit on only one quarter of its recruits out of high school and fifty percent of JC recruits.

As to Warner and Attig, both were kids who received some very last offers. I remember how excited the Warner kid was and hope he plays, because he was a great kid. As to Attig, he really came out of a small, small area. He was a big wonder.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I wouldn't count Warner out yet.

The kid does have some talent, plus he's only a Sophomore. I wouldn't be surprised to see him awarded a scholarship before his time here is done.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road
Default warner is walk-on

He is hardly a small town Nevada kid, being from Reno.

It is too early to dismiss either of these guys. Attig is rangy and has decent speed. He will end up contributing.
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

So with Warner a freshman and Attig a sophomore, it's already been set in stone what kind of contribution these players will make to the program. Your crystal ball is simply bitchin'.

Besides, Warner was a walk-on, so using him as an example is simply asinine.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:21 AM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug
So with Warner a freshman and Attig a sophomore, it's already been set in stone what kind of contribution these players will make to the program. Your crystal ball is simply bitchin'.

Besides, Warner was a walk-on, so using him as an example is simply asinine.
Are you sure Warner doesn't have a scholarship? I thought he was a preffered walk on but then Crowton gave him a scholarship.

I would love for these guys to develop, but if you can't get the depth chart on a team with safeties as bad as we have, even if it's only your second year in the program, I'm not holding my breath.

The point isn't so much these two specific kids though. The point is offering kids scholarships to go on missions knowing they don't "count".
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:25 AM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Are you sure Warner doesn't have a scholarship? I thought he was a preffered walk on but then Crowton gave him a scholarship.

I would love for these guys to develop, but if you can't get the depth chart on a team with safeties as bad as we have, even if it's only your second year in the program, I'm not holding my breath.

The point isn't so much these two specific kids though. The point is offering kids scholarships to go on missions knowing they don't "count".
Warner does not have a scholarship.