cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to make of the 2013 season?

1. BYU was unprepared to start the season. The offense was horrific. Hill had some of the worst performances we have ever seen from a BYU QB. What to make of this? Lots of programs have new Offensive Coordinators. Lots of programs have new starting QBs. Disappointing that it was amateur hour for BYU.

2. Loss to Virginia was inexcusable. They ended up 2-10.

3. Loss to Utah. They ended up 5-7, but they lost a lot of close games where they played pretty well. And they lost their starting QB to injury. However we have come to expect to Bronco's clubs to lose the big games. No surprise here.

4. We wonder how the defense would have been had we not lost our starting CBs to injuries. Povey. Coming back next year apparently. God help us. This defense was not as good as last year. Not as much talent on the field.

5. And why not more talent? Lackluster recruiting. This program can't bring in the blue chips, even the LDS ones.

6. Taysom Hill was a bright spot. In that he somehow managed to go from the most inaccurate QB we had ever seen above the high school level to someone who showed a lot of promise. We've always known about his athleticism. But he showed some ability to throw. But as the season wore on, I wondered if he stalled out. A lot of panicking in the pocket, one read, and try to run. It's not entirely clear to me if his receivers were getting open or not.

7. Apo, good riddance. What happened to the TE position at BYU? Big disappointment in terms of receptions. Hats off to Cody Hoffman who had a stellar career. Probably our best receiver ever. Right up there with recent greats Collie and Watkins. Beyond Hoffman, the position was very sketchy. And we should be worried about next year.

8. Why for the love of Pete can we not have a good offensive line? Year after year we have a an offensive line who can dominate bad teams, but gets absolutely pushed around against decent teams? When are we going to be able to put OL in the NFL? This is a constant source of disappointment.

9. Jamaal Williams was a real bright spot. Kid is underrated. Speed and power as well as a little shake and bake.

10. When are we ever going to win the big games? What was the last big game we won? Against Oklahoma (who turned out to be overrated, at least w/o their QB)? Seems like we can never win those games.

11. Next year is big for BYU in terms of what the future is going to look like. No more excuses for the offense, with a returning QB and a second year in Anae's system. I think all of us know that as an independent, we are dead men walking. There is no future in the status quo. And we will never be in the top 4 and play in for the NC. We will always be locked into a chitty bowl. And that's how it is. At least we aren't having losing seasons. So that's what it has come to. An above average program.

12. Please Bronco, no more delusional talk about this being an elite program. It is not. Acknowledge it for what it is. Above average. Lucky to finish the season ranked even with an easy schedule. Now that the schedule is more difficult, it's going to be a real challenge to end up ranked. No doubt had BYU been in the Pac 12 it would have been very ugly. Big 12 as well. The program is not near competing with the big boys, I am afraid. It is what it is.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually welcome the delusional talk, because sometimes I'm not sure he cares.

By the way, we should be grateful for our opponent Washington. They are #8 on the Sagarin predictor. We are #23. We might be screwed, but oh well.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

His delusional talk does not indicate he cares. It only indicates he is saying something he thinks others want to hear.

I want to hear how he's busting his ass recruiting. You never read that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Then there is rhetoric about getting the best LDS players.

Breaking news: Luatua committed to ND this weekend.