cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
I don't know why, but I get annoyed when I see predictions that BYU will beat everyone except TCU, Utah, Arizona and BC and then go on to indicate that 8-4 could still be a good season. If BYU loses those 4 games, the season is a disaster IMO. That would mean they lost to everyone that was semi-respectable and beat the rest. Not much of a season, if you ask me. BYU needs to at least split those 4 games, maybe even go 3-1 (with a characteristic loss to an average team at some other point) for me to consider the season successful.

That said, I think they have a VERY good chance of 2-2, and a solid chance of 3-1. I don't even know if the BC game should be considered a likely loss. If it was a home game, I think BYU would win. Even so, they will probably drop a game to one of those 4 (I think TCU could be the most likely loss given the scheduling quirk).

Thoughts? I think this will be a great season that acts as a springboard for future years. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 10-2, perhaps 11-1 with 2-3 nail biters.
I think with all the talent we have returning on offense that 8-4 should be the minimum expectation. Anything below that is very bad. Anything above that is pretty successful.

Then again, I'm of the school of thought that even if the defense is just average this year, with just marginal improvement, then BYU will be 10-2. If not,,,then 8-4 or worse.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #12
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

My priorities for this season listed by importance:

1. Beat Utah - I know the U fans will chide me for being "obsessed with Utah", but I just cant take all of the smack at work and at Church for a fifth year. Just beat Utah so I can wear my BYU t-shirts around the Salt Lake Valley with my head held high.

2. Win the Conference.

3. Win our Bowl game.

If these three things happen, I dont care what our record is.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
I would guess the toughest games will be BC and Tulsa. I just don't see the U being very good this year
I'd be curious to know why you feel this way. Is it because of the rivalry or a legitmate reason?

The Utes return I believe it's 14 or 16 starters from last year's team. Granted, it was a 7-5 team, but it was a team that got better as the season progressed and it blew out a decent GT team in a bowl game.

I don't know what to think of BYU this year, but I'm inclined to agree with Goatnapper that BYU faces 6 decent teams and 6 subpar teams. That should equate to 6 wins agaisnt inferior teams and another 2 wins is very possible. BYU's toughest conference games are on the road, TCU and Utah.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote