cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Future BYUs

Despite the creation of BYU-Idaho, it is my understanding that the Brethren have decided there will be no future BYU-[location]s.

What does this mean for the future of LDS higher education? Is the Institute model sufficient?

One idea would be for the church to select regional state schools as "core" schools, with additional infrastructure investment, with the idea of attracting LDS kids to those particular schools. Strength in numbers. Rather than matching resources to how many LDS kids go to a school. Not to say that other schools would be abandoned, but rather to try and create a critical mass.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Despite the creation of BYU-Idaho, it is my understanding that the Brethren have decided there will be no future BYU-[location]s.

What does this mean for the future of LDS higher education? Is the Institute model sufficient?

One idea would be for the church to select regional state schools as "core" schools, with additional infrastructure investment, with the idea of attracting LDS kids to those particular schools. Strength in numbers. Rather than matching resources to how many LDS kids go to a school. Not to say that other schools would be abandoned, but rather to try and create a critical mass.
SVa's is another model.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

We should start a CG SVa. Mormonism with a CG bent. A real religion curriculum. Liberal arts focus.

"Are you afraid your child will go to BYU and return a zombie Zoob, yet at the same time wish he/she could get an experience that is LDS-centric/friendly, with rigorous academics on a small tight-knit campus, reminiscent of the best liberal arts colleges in the country? We give you Cougarguard College."
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
We should start a CG SVa. Mormonism with a CG bent. A real religion curriculum. Liberal arts focus.

"Are you afraid your child will go to BYU and return a zombie Zoob, yet at the same time wish he/she could get an experience that is LDS-centric/friendly, with rigorous academics on a small tight-knit campus, reminiscent of the best liberal arts colleges in the country? We give you Cougarguard College."
Anybody attending here will have his or her identity concealed to avoid close bureaucratic scrutiny.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

"We are especially sensitive to the rampant sexism that typically occurs at BYUs. We assure you that your daughters will not be condescended to, or discouraged from academic subjects or pursuits."
Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
"We are especially sensitive to the rampant sexism that typically occurs at BYUs. We assure you that your daughters will not be condescended to, or discouraged from academic subjects or pursuits."
"And no artificial cultural standards will be imposed, as beards and dirty jeans won't prevent you from entering the testing center."
Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
"And no artificial cultural standards will be imposed, as beards and dirty jeans won't prevent you from entering the testing center."
"There is no testing center."

"There are no scantrons, no multiple choice tests. Life demands the ability to comprehend, utilize information, communicate, and make ethical choices. Our evaluations are set up with these goals at the center."
Old 04-24-2009, 02:42 AM   #8
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

http://nauvoouniversity.com/

Here is an interesting model, of which you are probably aware.

I think BYU-Texas is a great idea. It should be in Houston.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm not sure I knew about Nauvoo Technical College. Boy are they starting small, if they start at all. That's going to be tough. I would not send my kid to get a "certificate of education".

But I like the ambition.

CG College will be for non-mullahs. You know, a school for every part of the spectrum. BYU-I for the mullahs, BYU-P for the zoobs, BYU-H for the partyers, etc.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Nauvoo U. will require an ecclesiastical endorsement. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I think it would depend on the guidance that they give the ecclesiastical leader(s).

I think the BYU system gives an incentive to students to be dishonest with their Bishops, and that is just plain not healthy.