cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
For those of you who want more do you genuinely believe this program is capable of doing better than it has under Mendenhall? How close would you evaluate him to having the program potential pegged?

Bronco's been awesome. My complaint in this thread is primarily his personality which is very fan-unfriendly. He knows what the fan wants to hear and he says the exact opposite almost to piss the fan off and teach him who's boss. Whatever, I guess I can deal.

Complaint #2 is that he actually believes what he's saying and isn't interested in recruiting better athletes. The evidence on that is unclear, so I won't hammer him on it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Bronco's been awesome. My complaint in this thread is primarily his personality which is very fan-unfriendly. He knows what the fan wants to hear and he says the exact opposite almost to piss the fan off and teach him who's boss. Whatever, I guess I can deal.
Stupid Bronco. He thinks he's the head coach.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #23
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

Complaint #2 is that he actually believes what he's saying and isn't interested in recruiting better athletes. The evidence on that is unclear, so I won't hammer him on it.
Yes he's doing it just to troll a response out of you and has designs on pissing you off.

Hate to break it to you Jay, but you're not that important.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #24
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Yes he's doing it just to troll a response out of you and has designs on pissing you off.

Hate to break it to you Jay, but you're not that important.

Yes I am. Obviously I am or Bronco wouldn't address me (and the hundreds of thousands of fans like me) nearly every chance he has.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #25
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
RES is no place to take your young son.......even when playing the likes of Oregon State. The Utah fans have driven another Ute to Cougar Town.

BTW........do you take your kids to the Utah games at RES?
This made me laugh. I used to go to Ute football games as a young lad with a current GA and his small children. Shame on him and my parents and me (I take my 3 small boys to games every singl year), right exie?

btw - Bronco is doing a good job at BYU. The administration and yuckity yucks in the church and at BYU love him... he's going to be there for a long long long long time.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #26
Tex

Quote:
Yes I am. Obviously I am or Bronco wouldn't address me (and the hundreds of thousands of fans like me) nearly every chance he has.
And everytime he's stepping up to the mic, he's thinking, "How can I piss them off today!"

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #27
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
That would have merit if he'd referred to G Pittman getting "The Full Santos".
Old 10-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #28
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
That would have merit if he'd referred to G Pittman getting "The Full Santos".
nice
Old 10-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #29
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
And everytime he's stepping up to the mic, he's thinking, "How can I piss them off today!"
Are you a sports fan? Do you actually listen to Bronco talk? It's pretty obvious to those that follow his public speaking: radio interviews, CC talks, fireside talks, etc. He's got a chip on his shoulder towards a large portion of the fan base.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #30
Tex

Quote:
Are you a sports fan? Do you actually listen to Bronco talk? It's pretty obvious to those that follow his public speaking: radio interviews, CC talks, fireside talks, etc. He's got a chip on his shoulder towards a large portion of the fan base.
Yeah, I went to one of his firesides last year, and at one point he did call the fans out for booing. I don't think it was a "large portion." We've argued about this before.

Fans are finicky people. Their support is critical to a program, yet they tend to think they know best. I still remember listening to post-games with Lavell when he would take phone calls after a loss, and some the absolute jerks that would call in.

I think Bronco respects the fans and appreciates their support. At the same time, he's not ashamed to admit that he's got his own ideas about how things should be run, and if you [not you, Santos, but a generic "you"] don't like it, too bad. If you get to be BYU head coach, then you get to make the call.

I think Bronco's stuck a really nice balance between listening and dictating.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young