cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
This game had nothing to do with short prep time.

We got our ass handed to us by a better team in every phase.
It isn't even possible to know if that is true, Rocky. Getting whipped has a lot to do with preparation (or lack thereof) and schemes. Tulsa, for example, was not a better team than BYU, but they beat us with better planning and better schemes and their QB had the best day of his life to implement the planning and schemes. If Tulsa had less time to prepare, the odds are high that they would have lost too.

BYU literally had 2 days of preparation time for TCU. That is nothing. Maybe BYU loses anyways, but it is hard to think it didn't have any effect at all.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It isn't even possible to know if that is true, Rocky. Getting whipped has a lot to do with preparation (or lack thereof) and schemes. Tulsa, for example, was not a better team than BYU, but they beat us with better planning and better schemes and their QB had the best day of his life to implement the planning and schemes. If Tulsa had less time to prepare, the odds are high that they would have lost too.

BYU literally had 2 days of preparation time for TCU. That is nothing. Maybe BYU loses anyways, but it is hard to think it didn't have any effect at all.
Well actually BYU did practice Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Also if you dont think the coaches watch film on Sunday you are very naive. They give players DVDs right after the game Saturday, do you think they expect them to go home and watch them that night? No they realize most of them will be watching it on Sunday.

Also TCU did not practice on Sunday, they watched film. Very similar to what BYU did, except TCU had their coaches there and BYU did it at home.
Other than that both teams had the same amount of prep time.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Well actually BYU did practice Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Also if you dont think the coaches watch film on Sunday you are very naive. They give players DVDs right after the game Saturday, do you think they expect them to go home and watch them that night? No they realize most of them will be watching it on Sunday.

Also TCU did not practice on Sunday, they watched film. Very similar to what BYU did, except TCU had their coaches there and BYU did it at home.
Other than that both teams had the same amount of prep time.
Perhaps TCU didn't practice on Sunday, but news reports think otherwise, and Patterson said they would practice.

http://www.sltrib.com/byucougars/ci_10677628

The TCU fan board also says they practiced on Sunday (not just watching film). Bronco also said the coaches would not watch any film on Sunday. Maybe he lied. I have no reason to think so. Perhaps the players watched film. I doubt all of them did. BYU had travel time (which is worse in a short week than a regular week for obvious reasons).

Again, nobody knows what effect it had, and it can't be the main focus for why BYU lost (I already posted my thoughts as to why that happened). I am simply arguing that it almost certainly had SOME impact on the game, and I can't fathom why Thompson keeps slotting this game on a Thursday.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
cougjunkie

Quote:
Perhaps TCU didn't practice on Sunday, but news reports think otherwise, and Patterson said they would practice.

http://www.sltrib.com/byucougars/ci_10677628

The TCU fan board also says they practiced on Sunday (not just watching film). Bronco also said the coaches would not watch any film on Sunday. Maybe he lied. I have no reason to think so. Perhaps the players watched film. I doubt all of them did. BYU had travel time (which is worse in a short week than a regular week for obvious reasons).

Again, nobody knows what effect it had, and it can't be the main focus for why BYU lost (I already posted my thoughts as to why that happened). I am simply arguing that it almost certainly had SOME impact on the game, and I can't fathom why Thompson keeps slotting this game on a Thursday.
BYU traveled Wednesday night but they practiced in the morning. I promise you that the coaches watch film. Maybe Bronco doesnt but the other coaches do.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

bronco only spoke for about 10-15min at the fireside on Wed. night. The whole thing only lasted 1 hr.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #16
Cali Coug

Quote:
BYU traveled Wednesday night but they practiced in the morning. I promise you that the coaches watch film. Maybe Bronco doesnt but the other coaches do.
That's fine. Either way, it appears TCU had an extra day of practice (Sunday), BYU had to spend time traveling during a short week (which takes up a larger percentage of their time than if it was a full week until the next game), and Bronco indicated he didn't watch film on Sunday and said other coaches wouldn't either. Maybe they did and he lied or didn't know. In any case, as I have said, it is highly unlikely the short week didn't harm BYU more than TCU. It isn't why they lost. TCU was better. But I am confident it played a role in preparation.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Notice what's going on here.

Cali: "Cali is never wrong. BYU is still the best, the greatest team in the nation. It's just that the world screwed BYU. Craig Thompson hates BYU and deliberately scheduled the game this way. If BYU can avoid these conspiracies and get a fair chance to practice while exercising its freedom to worship, it might still get into the BSC."

junkie and Waters: " We got beat by a superior team. No excuses."

This exchange is a microcosm of countless threads here involving Cali.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #18
cougjunkie

Quote:
That's fine. Either way, it appears TCU had an extra day of practice (Sunday), BYU had to spend time traveling during a short week (which takes up a larger percentage of their time than if it was a full week until the next game), and Bronco indicated he didn't watch film on Sunday and said other coaches wouldn't either. Maybe they did and he lied or didn't know. In any case, as I have said, it is highly unlikely the short week didn't harm BYU more than TCU. It isn't why they lost. TCU was better. But I am confident it played a role in preparation.
Serious question, did you play football at all growing up?

If not let me explain that if you play a highschool or even a pee wee game of tackle football on a saturday you are very sore and pretty worthless the next day. I can only imagine playing D-1 and having to practice the next day. I just find it hard to believe that TCU had a full scale practice on Sunday that wasnt much more than a glorified film session. Especially considering Dalton, their starting D-tackles, Jerry Hughes and Jason phillips didnt even practice until Wednesday.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
Cali Coug

Quote:
Serious question, did you play football at all growing up?

If not let me explain that if you play a highschool or even a pee wee game of tackle football on a saturday you are very sore and pretty worthless the next day. I can only imagine playing D-1 and having to practice the next day. I just find it hard to believe that TCU had a full scale practice on Sunday that wasnt much more than a glorified film session. Especially considering Dalton, their starting D-tackles, Jerry Hughes and Jason phillips didnt even practice until Wednesday.
Yes, I was a linebacker in high school. And both of us know that practice doesn't have to entail hitting or even pads, and yet it can still be very effective.

You may find it hard to believe, but what is your assertion based on when you say TCU didn't practice on Sunday? A hunch? I showed you media reports where Patterson says they did practice. TCU's fan board says they practiced. What else do you want?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #20
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Notice what's going on here.

Cali: "Cali is never wrong. BYU is still the best, the greatest team in the nation. It's just that the world screwed BYU. Craig Thompson hates BYU and deliberately scheduled the game this way. If BYU can avoid these conspiracies and get a fair chance to practice while exercising its freedom to worship, it might still get into the BSC."

junkie and Waters: " We got beat by a superior team. No excuses."

This exchange is a microcosm of countless threads here involving Cali.
Notice of what is going on here:

SU has nothing of value to add, so he follows posters around and plays the part of a troll, throwing in an attack on the church whenever possible, and viewing the Utah-BYU rivalry as a proxy battle for the validation of his decision to leave the church.

This is a microcosm of countless threads here involving SU.

FYI: I detailed the main reasons BYU lost here:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...19&postcount=7

Last edited by Cali Coug; 10-17-2008 at 09:00 PM.