cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #21
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
How am I a leaner if I don't want to go to meetings, don't want my hometeachers coming over and wasting my time, etc? To whom am I a burden? I have no problem paying tithing. I'll continue to bankroll the church without sapping any resources. The bishopric should be grateful.
I don't know if it's so much about whether or not you are a burden, as much as it is about whether you're lifting the burdens of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
That summer after graduation he had what he calls a "life changing" experience. He began visiting with our bishop, all on his own, and began hanging around an active YM who had gone to the BYU-I summer freshman orientation.
It is remarkable what good peer influence can do for youth with budding testimonies. We have a young man in our ward preparing to go in November whose Intrade last year was hovering near zero. Watching his friends prepare to leave while he continued to do nothing but party made him start to rethink his priorities. It's been a remarkable transformation.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #22
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I refuse to use the word "serve" when speaking of a mission. It's always had an twinge of hoity-toity to me.

My rubic is as follows:

"Where did you go?"
"I went to ____."
"I was in ____ for 3 months."

Learn it, use it.

Carry on.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #23
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

I'm not going to pressure my kids to go on a mission. If they don't have a strong desire to go, I'll probably tell them not to go and that it's totally fine with me. My wife will probably apply the pressure on the boys, though, despite the fact that she would have never considered a mission herself.

I have pretty ambivalent feelings about my mission. I guess it was a good experience in retrospect, but two years is a long time -- there are a lot of other good things you could do with those two years. If my kids don't want to go, that's fine by me.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote