cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
First and foremost, my initial response is because God was involved in the decision-making process in calling BRM as an apostle.

As for prayer, he cares about it because you care about it. It's all part of having the pure love of God.

I realize you believe in an absentee God that occasionally sends postcards from exotic places with "Wish You Were Here" inscribed, which I'm still trying to figure out if this is due to a lack of faith or whether it's a mechanism of convenience that allows you to create a religion in your own image.
As an actuary, you must be willing to share your binary view of the world whenever you can. Not accepting your characterization, I note, my reasons for believing Divinity is more deistic than traditional theism allows is to explain some of the absurdities which occur and to try to divine what makes the most sense. It is my attempt to correlate some of the mass of confusing datapoints encountered.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #22
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
If I must spell it out to you, to a person like me (sorry, I was born this way) the whole notion of "errors" in religious doctrine, like a computational error in a differential equation, is just flat out ludicrous.
In regards to abstract theological doctrines, I agree with this. For one "authoritative" person to say Mormon Doctrine contains 786 errors (for example) is laughable and completely ludicrous. It's amazing that otherwise rational LDS people would give any degree of credence to such a statement. It's all conjecture and unprovable assertions.

I have no use for abstract, unprovable theological assertions. I'll take the practical, everyday gospel instead.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #23
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Prayer is mostly meditational, too much petitional.
That is an interesting way to say it. I have had this thought rolling around in my mind but never articulated it as succinctly. I don't believe there is anything wrong with prayer being petitional, but I have long believed that its primary value to the individual lay in simply stopping and, as you say, meditating or at least thinking about and articulating spiritual thoughts, goals, desires, etc., hopefully with somewhat of a self-critical eye (help me to be more patient, more loving, slower to anger, less selfish). I like it.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #24
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
I;m too lazy to html right now but Iseen several blog sites that defend brm and jfss and rail on Rise of modern mormonism. I have yet to read Horners book on brm but I read Joseph McConkies bio and it is much more accurate that the book or mormon rise of modern mormonism to some people. I bought that book of amazon and it does not impress me. Like people hillary about not being called to certian positions or demoted. Wilkinson didn't beleive in agency.

What no death before the fall says is Prince and WRight did not tell the whole truth. McConkie was told to reprint modoc and they don't call disobedient people to apostles. It actually has a host of eternal truths in it if you ask me.
I think I disagree, but I'm really not sure.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #25
BYUsportsguy

BYUsportsguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Prayer is mostly meditational, too much petitional.
I absolutely agree here. People spend too much time begging God to solve all their problems. Most of the time God's answer is "you figure it out, it's why you're there"

Prayer should be much more thanking and self-searching, and less trying to score a bigger allowance from Dad through nagging.
BYUsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote