cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #71
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Re: Collie. I grew up in Utah, I've met a lot of people who believe what Collie said. I guess I've met enough assholes to think that he believed what he said. But, I don't know him, so I'm not sure. But, if I were a betting man.....

I had a seminary teacher who said that the 84 season was part of the latter day work.

He also said that the football program was a second set of missionaries.

A kid down the street questioned my faith on numerous times because I wanted byu to lose on saturdays. Now we were both 10-13 during this time and I guess he could have thought this up on his own, but I'm guessing his mullah parents had something to do with it. Actually, I found out this guy died a few years ago and left 3 kids. Sad.
(And for the record, I could have kicked his ass if I had wanted to. He was a wiry twerp).

A guy in the ward saying that god really did want them to beat ucla in the bowl game.

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law (who are zoobs) were seriously shocked that a member in good standing could not want "the church to win on saturday". They chilled after I'd been around enough and they realized that I could be an ok fellow and still loathe the y.

I'll likely think of others while driving home.
If you don't think there are a lot of people that really believe what collie said, you aren't paying attention, or you haven't lived in mormon-land.

It's similar to all the Mitt will help usher in the 2nd coming in the recent primary frenzy.
Replace Mitt w/ Lavell/Gary/Bronco. It's the same idiotic attitude.
So we have a seminary teacher (or at least a high school student's interpretation and memory of that interpretation of what he said) and a 10-13 yo boy. I'm gonna go ahead and throw both of those out.

Then this guy in your ward...I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that even if he secretly thought God wanted BYU to win, he would actually say that out loud. If he did, he's an idiot (and remarkable enough that you're recounting his story 9 months later...exception proves the rule?).

I don't know about the dynamics of your relationship with your in-laws, but I do think it's a little strange that an LDS person wants to see the church-sponsored school fail miserably at athletics. I intentionally use the term "miserably" because for you, it apparently isn't enough that they lose to Utah (or teams in the MWC); they need to lose in games that have no bearing on Utah. I know enough good people who feel like this that I just chalk it up to the rivalry, although I think their BYU hatred stems more from disdain for some of the extreme examples of the fanbase than it does the institution. However, if I didn't grow up in the rivalry (and around plenty of Ute fans), I could easily misinterpret this as a strange sort of church self-hatred. Back to the point, did they say that God helped BYU win football games? Doesn't sound like it.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #72
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
most of us on this site believe those things. what's your point?
I don't believe them all, but I believe some. You have to be blinded by some irrational BYU hate to not acknowledge BYU football is a high profile PR/missionary tool of the church. And the greater the success the greater the efficacy of the PR/missionary tool aspect of it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #73
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Back to the point, did they say that God helped BYU win football games? Doesn't sound like it.
I was there and that's what I heard.
But, it looks like I need a new perception filter, as you say it didn't happen.

Thanks the diagnosis, doc. I always knew I was insane!
What do I owe you?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #74
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I htink he brings it up becasue it is probabyl going to be asked about and he would just as soon frame it in his words and with his own agenda as let it come up in some other way. I think he handles that part just fine. THose are the rules, aftre all, and they do get talked about. I think the real probelm is that he has used so many religious phrases that we usually only hear on Sunday (or see derided in the religious forum) that for non-BYU fans it is like the Seinfeld "Worlds Collide" episode. For the rest of the world, however, those phrases just sound like coach speak from a religious guy and they aren't even conversational speed bumpbs.
Excellent point. Rome thought it was "awesome," as did many of the listeners I'm sure. The biggest dissapointment over in Ute Land was that Rome didn't deride and laugh Bronco out of the interview. They stand all amazed with their fingers in their noses.

Bronco recruits for talent and retention. He has assessed, correctly, that the LDS culture has grown large enough to support a competitive D-1 football program. Hence, targeting that culture will not only bring in talent, but keep that talent around for four years under circumstances that most non-LDS kids wouldn't even consider. Sure, he'll look outside the culture as well, but will try to only target kids willing and able live the BYU life. Oh, and position mastery is important as well.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 09-19-2008 at 09:21 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #75
ERCougar

Quote:
I was there and that's what I heard.
But, it looks like I need a new perception filter, as you say it didn't happen.

Thanks the diagnosis, doc. I always knew I was insane!
No you said that they couldn't understand how an active LDS member could want the LDS-sponsored university to lose. Frankly, I can't either, when it has no bearing on that member's favorite team. Reading your post, you say nothing about them claiming God influences football games. Those are two very different things.

Here's the quote to help you out:
"My mother-in-law and sister-in-law (who are zoobs) were seriously shocked that a member in good standing could not want "the church to win on saturday". They chilled after I'd been around enough and they realized that I could be an ok fellow and still loathe the y."
Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #76
Brian

Quote:
So we have a seminary teacher (or at least a high school student's interpretation and memory of that interpretation of what he said) and a 10-13 yo boy. I'm gonna go ahead and throw both of those out.

Then this guy in your ward...I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that even if he secretly thought God wanted BYU to win, he would actually say that out loud.

I was referring to these statements that you made.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #77
ERCougar

Quote:
I was referring to these statements that you made.
Well, IIII wasn't.

Look, I won't deny that there are a few crazy people on both sides of the fence. But I think the rumors on UFN (and probably CB too...) overblow both the prevalence and the magnitude of their opinions. It's just the rivalry.

But back to Bronco's comments. He's pointing out that we have a unique set of players, and no one but the hypersensitive Ute fan (and a thin-skinned West point grad, if we believe OrangeUte) is taking any offense to what he said.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #78
Brian

Quote:
Look, I won't deny that there are a few crazy people on both sides of the fence.
Then why did you ask for non-hearsay personal examples, which you quickly discount?

But, no bother. I'm just relieved to learn that all those crazy people I met were just my imaginary friends!!!!

Quote:
But back to Bronco's comments. He's pointing out that we have a unique set of players, and no one but the hypersensitive Ute fan (and a thin-skinned West point grad, if we believe OrangeUte) is taking any offense to what he said.
and wyoming fans and NM fans and ......

They didn't make the SI most-hated list just for chuckles.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #79
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't believe them all, but I believe some. You have to be blinded by some irrational BYU hate to not acknowledge BYU football is a high profile PR/missionary tool of the church. And the greater the success the greater the efficacy of the PR/missionary tool aspect of it.
i'm not going to take the bait.

for what it's worth, i know plenty of cougs who love for the U to lose and take great pride in those losses.

There are others on the board who claim to not care about anything outside of Y football - i.e. they don't care whether Utah loses or wins. This may be, but I have a hard time believing that a Y fan, who gets how the system works (i.e. BCS conferences and BCS bowls, and money money money) don't want the Utes to win. I actually cheered for the Y to beat Washington and UCLA because I want our conference to get to another level. It is clear that the U and the Y are never going to be invited to join the PAC 10 or as some believe, the Big 12 for BYU... It isn't that i root for BYU to win, i just am glad that they won and am impressed by their team. At the same time, it doesn't pain me at all when they lose like they did to Tulsa last year. i would rather that they don't, thought, because the big bowl money on a regular basis only helps the Utes, even if the Cougs or TCU are the ones going to the BCS bowl.

It is a conference thing for me, not a rivalry thing, and certainly not a church thing.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #80
ERCougar

Quote:
Then why did you ask for non-hearsay personal examples, which you quickly discount?
Your examples of fans who claim God directly influences football games are a seminary teacher and 12 yo boy. Good ones, I'm convinced.

And in neither of those cases (nor in ANY of the examples you've pointed out) did they say that God directly influences football games (which was your original point...). The difference is fairly significant. Does God want BYU to win? I don't think He cares much, but it's not entirely crazy to say that BYU success may lead to some positive things for the church. But you said the reason people are offended at Brocco's statements is that we claim God "has a hand in BYU winning games". Still waiting for the example of this one...

Correct me if I'm wrong--I'm just reading your post:

"I had a seminary teacher who said that the 84 season was part of the latter day work.

He also said that the football program was a second set of missionaries.

A kid down the street questioned my faith on numerous times because I wanted byu to lose on saturdays. Now we were both 10-13 during this time and I guess he could have thought this up on his own, but I'm guessing his mullah parents had something to do with it. Actually, I found out this guy died a few years ago and left 3 kids. Sad.
(And for the record, I could have kicked his ass if I had wanted to. He was a wiry twerp).

A guy in the ward saying that god really did want them to beat ucla in the bowl game.

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law (who are zoobs) were seriously shocked that a member in good standing could not want "the church to win on saturday". They chilled after I'd been around enough and they realized that I could be an ok fellow and still loathe the y."