cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You are right. There is none needed. And none applied.

The smarter groups throw in a caveat--"we are not the people that commit violence against gays, we are not protesting in front of the court house trying to prevent them from visiting their partners in the hospital (as long as they have an executed legal document specifying so). But we do think that they are immoral, that any love they feel in intimate relationships is false and devilish, and no child raised by such people can hope for a moral upbringing."

This is currently what goes for compassion. It's a very low standard.
Interesting approach. Is there no in between?

The gay advocates state you're either for us or against us, and if you're against us, you're small-minded, uneducated bigots of the lowest animal form.

The orthodox states, you're either for us or against us, and if you're against us, you're small-minded, uneducated bigots of the lowest animal form. And you're Satanic.

I don't see much difference in the arguments, so when both sides are spewing the same venom, it doesn't look like a discussion to me, but just a pissing match. I realize that's the nature of political debates, all pissing and no discussion, no recognition of the validity of any argument on any side of the debate.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course there is a different approach:

gays: "you run your church how you want, stay out of our business."

church: "what you gays do is your own thing, we may not like it, but we are not in the business of trying to foist our values on every single person on every single issue. just don't tell us how to run our religion."

Instead, the church jumps on the secular gays, and have the gall to say that the gays are trying to, essentially, force gay couples into the temple (as my dad says).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What's your answer to my question on guns? I'll put $1,000 down that it's "shot birds flutter".
Mike, are you dodging this?

Let me guess. "It's complicated. It's black and white, when I call you out. You're murdering gays. When you call me out, it's a complicated issue."
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

church: "what you gays do is your own thing, we may not like it, but we are not in the business of trying to foist our values on every single person on every single issue. just don't tell us how to run our religion."

Instead, the church jumps on the secular gays, and have the gall to say that the gays are trying to, essentially, force gay couples into the temple (as my dad says).
Do church gays make that statement?

Each party has vested interests in making social change or in preserving the status quo, it will never be as reasonable as you just tried to delineate.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Everyone gets a participation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
Mike...

Let me ask you a question.

Say your son is in a 1st grade class with 18 kids and they have all been given a science project to do.

There are awards given for the top 3 projects.

How many kids in your mind should recieve a reward?
award. We don't want anyone to feel bad. We'll let reality as they grow up give them that education.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #16
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Mike, I know you're not as dumb as you want

Quote:

us to believe? You honestly believe once they get gay marriage legalized in a civil sense, the issue will go away? C'mon. You're an educated man. Next step.......want to force the church's to conduct the services (like they do for the hetero's) or take away their tax status as a punishment.

Yank that noggin out of your butt!

I can't believe you're not smarter than the gay lobby.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
award. We don't want anyone to feel bad. We'll let reality as they grow up give them that education.

Still waiting for his emminence to answer...