cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #81
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You realize that in effect, you are arguing that actions of LDS parents can make their kids gay.

Such arguments just heap onto the pain and guilt that these parents feel. Affirmation is asking that the church relieve such guilt.

But maybe the church agrees with your position, and is in no such position to relieve that guilt, because in some cases, yes, the parents through some small choice, whether it was watching a TV show or allowing their kid to attend a movie, became gay.

Can you see how some people might disagree with you?
I don't think parents should ever feel like they "caused" their children to be gay; nor do I think a parent ever does, except genetically. And my argument is not "in effect" arguing that parents cause their kids to be gay.

You would cause your kid to be gay by welcoming your brother and his husband into your home? That's not what I'm arguing. But it's clear that your brother and his husband will enter the mind of your son as he contemplates how to deal with various urges he may be having as an adolescent.

I still don't know whether you would care if your son was gay. Maybe this would be a positive for you. But if it would indeed be a negative in your eyes, it would pale in comparison to the damage you would inflict by ostracizing your brother. This would teach your son to be hateful and to ignore all that unites families besides how family members live the law of chastity. Your doing what I hope I would do -- what I know I would do -- if I had a gay sibling.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #82
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Holy Cow. Not defending a country for which the death penalty is applied when homosexuals are caught is grand-standing?

So in Iran the horse is not out of the barn, and it's something we ought to consider emulating, at least to some degree?

You have a wicked amount of Scalia in you, who might take up the same position.
Re-read, Mike. That isn't what I said.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #83
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road

Saying being gay is 100% NOT a choice is as small-minded as people who think you can rehabilitate gays to become straight. Genes predispose people to be gay or violent or intelligent, but it isn't fate, like many people are trying to say it is.
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:34 AM   #84
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsaru View Post
Saying being gay is 100% NOT a choice is as small-minded as people who think you can rehabilitate gays to become straight. Genes predispose people to be gay or violent or intelligent, but it isn't fate, like many people are trying to say it is.
It sounds like you may be bisexual if that's how you feel about sexual orientation. I think most straight guys know that it is in fact their fate to be only attracted to women and they could never ever be any other way. They are totally and completely repulsed by the thought of homosexuality.

If a gay person knows he is gay in the same exact way that I know I am straight, then yes, it is their fate to be gay and it is 100% NOT a choice and not modifiable.

If you think sexual orientation is just a choice and not "fate" then you may be bisexual.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote